Thread: RebelYell

RebelYell

I noticed that not alot of things have been said about the RebelYell weekend that recently passed.

I would love to hear the views of anyone that was there. The showcases especially were something to savour. Plus the dancefloor upstairs produced an amazing night. Big thumbs up to PP for the music. I can't remember a DJ being applauded as much as that at the end of a night.

For anyone lucky enough to experience it Robert and Deborah freestyle the evening away up there.

Commercial Operator
    Don't know anyone who went, but not surprised to hear re. PP's set going down a storm...... He can certainly give Jon B a run for his money

Have you heard some of the swing stuff that Jon has aquired recently. Very impressive.

Did you manage to get to Woking. The standard of teaching and performances was easily the highest I have seen.

Plus the opportunity to see how R&D from the US can improvise must never be missed. Wow that really opens the eyes.

Brilliant day out. Found the cabarets excellent; stood open mouthed in awe.

Really enjoyed the Westcoast Swing class; Tony and I are desperately trying not to forget what we learnt and he's given me last years video to watch tonight so I can have a practice at home.

Found the Cha-Cha & Ballroom classes very difficult to follow and we didn't even move round . The music seemed too fast for an absolute beginners class. Did anyone else notice this or was it just us; we were probably too busy talking. Wow though, in the cabaret they were awesome, Nicole Cutler moved so fast my eyes couldn't follow her, particularly one move where she ended up underneath him with her arms sort of wrapped around his thighs; it was just so fast, and very impressive to watch...

Really enjoyed the baby aerials too, but I am definitely not built for it, and kept on getting it wrong sorry Tony's shoulder!

Went out for a lovely meal afterwards though, with the gang (Sheepy included) and that was really nice. Sorry everyone else though, about the garlic , I know it's a dance *no no* but it had to be done.

Px

PS Oh, and J. Brett rocks (even if he wasn't at RY)
    Last edited by Pammy; 8th-October-2003 at 04:10 PM.

I hope the Cutlers keep up with the teaching. It was there first experience doing such a workshop and should happy with how it went. Their speed was a blur to untrained eyes and very demanding to follow in a class.

WCS musical interpretation in the evening was such good fun.

I also heard alot being said about the floor being in perfect condition.

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Geordieed
    I also heard alot being said about the floor being in perfect condition.
    The floor is always excellent there, but I only very rarely attend the regular events there.

The lessons - it depended what you wanted. One friend got heavily bashed in a beginner's lesson, which put her off the rest of the day, she went home and missed an evening of fab dancing, nursing her injuries. From my point of view, it was excellent all round, the lessons at the right level (Though Robert's intermediate West Coast was too populated with beginner's - so the women told me). I did hear comment's about the Cutler's teaching which meant I didn't try them, but it is very early days for them with teaching.

The main thing in the evening was that I found myself inspired, rather than just confused, which is normally the case after so many lessons. The cabaret spots were awe inspiring, especially RCs, I sat their with a huge grin, thinking "I can do that, and that, and that!" (Some chance!!) I've already mentioned that Peter's set upstairs was the best , I can't comment on the music downstairs. One of my best night's for ages.

And Pammy, I don't think the garlic was too bad, I had no complaints, despite trying to solicite them, but I did notice you didn't "come upstairs for one".

Greg

The Oracle
    Originally posted by Sheepman
    I did hear comment's about the Cutler's teaching which meant I didn't try them, but it is very early days for them with teaching.
    I wasn't there (still on a plane at the time) but in defence of the Cutlers...

Most top-level ballroom dancers teach private lessons, and almost nothing else. And most of the things they learn would be when getting private lessons with other teachers. I doubt they have seen anything like a big Modern Jive workshop. It is as different as freestyling at your local venue vs. performing on a stage.

Similarly getting a private lesson from a Modern Jive teacher might be difficult for the teacher, because they don't often do that.

In a big class, you have to worry about dynamics - how quick should you teach this move to this class, are enough people getting it to move on, would people get bored if you went over the move again, when should you rotate the class, etc.
    A private lesson is more about mechanics - how do you explain how an individual can do something better.

David

Blog Entries
    Pammy wrote: Wow though, in the cabaret they were awesome, Nicole Cutler moved so fast my eyes couldn't follow her
    TwK and I missed Rebel Yell again this year I have only seen the Cutlers do their thing on video (Burn the Floor - they are - quite frankly - astounding! ) And we missed their cabaret at the Night of 100 Stars this Monday night Some day I'll see their cabaret live - jealous of Debster who has danced with Matthew!

Originally posted by Pammy
    Found the Cha-Cha & Ballroom classes very difficult to follow and we didn't even move round . The music seemed too fast for an absolute beginners class.
    I wasn't there, Pammy, what were the ballroom and latin classes like? Were they for complete beginners? I'm interested cos it brings back memories from another life, more years ago than I'd care to remember...

Chris

Originally posted by ChrisA
    Were they for complete beginners?
    Yes and please spill the beans on the *other life*

Originally posted by Sheepman
    And Pammy, I don't think the garlic was too bad, I had no complaints, despite trying to solicite them, but I did notice you didn't "come upstairs for one".
    and Sheepy; after spending so much time of the forum upstairs, I thought someone had better stay down below

Yes and please spill the beans on the *other life*
    I did a lot of competitive ballroom and latin in my yooof

It was on the uni ballroom team, great fun but after a while I got fed up with the intensity of the competition, and it put me off dancin for a very long time - much to my regret now.

In fact I had my first ballroom dance for many years at Hipsters on Friday - very early before most people turned up, I was talking to a lady called Vivienne, who turned out to be a ballroom dancer as well as a jiver. So despite the fear, I had a brief Foxtrot and Quickstep with her. I was rusty as hell, and I'd forgotten all the flash stuff I had to learn for the comps, but it were a right larf, I tellya.

Chris

Hands up anyone who would like to see Deborah do some tap as a cabaret if she is game. I know she only taught one class but heard some good things from some tap people in the know.

Undoubtably a fantastic contrast of choreographed dancing against freestyle at the highest level. I went to one of the Cutlers classes and I know that alot of people struggled with it. Give yourself another chance as well as them. I would love to do another one of their workshops. Either teaching or learning like that for the first time needs time to get it as you would like it. Look at where hard work and getting it right has got them. If they're game then so am I.

Does anyone know if Robert still does ballroom.

For anyone who did not see both couples spread the word and watch the video once it is out.

Originally posted by DavidB

Most top-level ballroom dancers teach private lessons, and almost nothing else. And most of the things they learn would be when getting private lessons with other teachers. I doubt they have seen anything like a big Modern Jive workshop. It is as different as freestyling at your local venue vs. performing on a stage.

In a big class, you have to worry about dynamics - how quick should you teach this move to this class, are enough people getting it to move on, would people get bored if you went over the move again, when should you rotate the class, etc.
    A private lesson is more about mechanics - how do you explain how an individual can do something better.
    David

Found the Cha-Cha & Ballroom classes very difficult to follow and we didn't even move round . The music seemed too fast for an absolute beginners class
    Anyone know if Ceroc style ballroom exists much in London / see much in the way of advertising at the event.

The Oracle
    Originally posted by frodo
    Anyone know if Ceroc style ballroom exists much in London / see much in the way of advertising at the event.
    There are quite a few social dance classes.
    - You can try looking in the phone book for Dance Schools. In London you can try Kensington Dance Studio, or Central London Dance on 020 7224 6004
    - evening courses run by the education authority (or whatever they are called now)
    - the University. Imperial College, University College and ULU all have dance clubs.

They are not quite the same as Ceroc classes - you have to learn footwork for a start! And I can never remember rotating partners too much - certainly not as much as at Ceroc. But the biggest difference is the lack of places to dance 'freestyle', especially if you don't have a partner.

David

I expressed my comments about RY in another thread (Hipsters I think) as I was so impressed with the day, however now (and so it should) has a thread of its own :-

I agree with all the positive comments that have been posted - by far the best 'All day / workshop etc' event this year.

I didn't see the Cutlers any oif the classes, but their cabaret was fantastic and very entertaining.

Robert Cordoba is such an amazing teacher. It is incredible how he manages to teach so many people so well - did anyone do his 'spinning' class - wow ! Deborah's tap class was fun too and at a level all could follow.

If you ever get a chance get a 'private' with her, I had one 'half hour' and it was worth a dozen lessons, she is quite a lady and I think the most amazing dancer I have ever met. (I have said this as most people just book time with Robert)

The evening dance was brilliant too - they played a great mixture downstairs - I didn't stop dancing. Had an amazing dance with Will (still tingling) in fact all the dances were great AND the swing/blues room was awesum THANK YOU PETER, even the great Robert Cordoba commented how good the music was !

If you ever geat to read this THANK YOU SO MUCH KATY BAXTER and roll on Rebel Yell 2004

Originally posted by Minnie M
    I expressed my comments about RY in another thread (Hipsters I think) as I was so impressed with the day, however now (and so it should) has a thread of its own :-

I agree with all the positive comments that have been posted - by far the best 'All day / workshop etc' event this year.

I didn't see any of the Cutlers classes, but their cabaret was fantastic and very entertaining.

Robert Cordoba is such an amazing teacher. It is incredible how he manages to teach so many people so well - did anyone do his 'spinning' class - wow ! Deborah's tap class was fun too and at a level all could follow.

If you ever get a chance get a 'private' with her, I had one 'half hour' and it was worth a dozen lessons, she is quite a lady and I think the most amazing dancer I have ever met. (I have said this as most people just book time with Robert)

The evening dance was brilliant too - they played a great mixture downstairs - I didn't stop dancing. Had an amazing dance with Will (still tingling) in fact all the dances were great AND the swing/blues room was awesum THANK YOU PETER, even the great Robert Cordoba commented how good the music was !

If you ever geat to read this THANK YOU SO MUCH KATY BAXTER and roll on Rebel Yell 2004
    sorry about the above I meant to EDIT and selected QUOTE instead !

Hi, thanks for the comments guys, it was one of those great nights when the dancers and DJ seem to work together. Robert let me use his CD collection (boy I wish I had a CD burner with me ) to play his cabaret tracks in the swing/blues room. that went down really well (and I got to see them dance another freestyle routine to the same track).

As always happens in a swing room there was request for big band and Balboa (wrong spelling I am sure) tracks, so sorry to any Lindy dancers, or lovers of fast/30's 40's style music, I am a Modern Jive DJ and only play music that the modern jiver/cerocer can dance to.
    My theory is that wherever and whenever I am DJ'ing a ceroc/modern jive dancer knows they can dance to the music I am playing (it may not always be Kylie and co. but it will always be the modern jive tempo).
    As for 1930' & 1940's big band music - I am not keen on it and dont think many cerocers like dancing to it - appart from one or two obvious classics from Bassie, Miller etc.

I describe the music I play as Soft-Swing - Swing & Blues music for the modern jiver.

As Katy is not a forum member perhaps any comments (or enquiries for her events) could also be sent to www.rebelroc.com
    Peter

Thread Information