Thread: Turkey and Christmas Pud or Goose and Belgium Chocolates

Turkey and Christmas Pud or Goose and Belgium Chocolates

Are you a traditionalist or a ‘rebel without a cause’

I like to have turkey with over cooked sprouts and burnt parsnips on Christmas day and loads of potatoes and Christmas crackers. I like the paper hat on my head and to build the plastic fire engine from said cracker and wear my Christmas jumper (see previous threads on that)

With Christmas pudding and 3 mince pies with full and half fat cream

Hell even the 70s prawn cocktails still prevail for starters

What do you have?

Re: Turkey and Christmas Pud or Goose and Belgium Chocolates

I've done that for too long now, me and dad cant cook very well so we certainly won't be faffing around for six hours in the kitchen for a roast, i don't like christmas pudding and i don't think dads too keen on it either. I don't like the noise crackers make and theyres only two of us so they're not going to be neccesary. me and dad are having buffet party food like what kerry katona advertises on the ICELAND ads and i think dad threw all his manky christmas jumpers away!

traditionally my family has roast pork with all the trimings and christmas pud with cream, ice cream, custard, bandy sauce - everyone likes something different with their pudding

this year not sure as yet

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Are you a traditionalist or a ‘rebel without a cause’

I like to have turkey with over cooked sprouts and burnt parsnips on Christmas day and loads of potatoes and Christmas crackers. I like the paper hat on my head and to build the plastic fire engine from said cracker and wear my Christmas jumper (see previous threads on that)

With Christmas pudding and 3 mince pies with full and half fat cream

Hell even the 70s prawn cocktails still prevail for starters

What do you have?

Breakfast tradition is warm crusty rolls with various meats and cheeses
    I love me smoked salmon or salami and brie

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post

that sounds nice

our breakfast tradition is fresh fruit and crossiants

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post

I always thought christmas morning was poached eggs with ham or slices of corn beef and loads of ketch up

I was surprised when this wasnt the 'norm'

Obviously Morcombe and Wise around your grandparents on Boxing Day with pink blamonge and playing with you Action Man was very normal /traditional

Seeing if the needles did fall of their real Christmas tree and being told off and then doing it again

When you’re a bit older drinking grand dads larger which has rust on the bottom of the tin and eating half the after eight mints and blaming your sister

Been given a wooden coat hanger from you gran for Christmas (still goes down as the most naff present ever) all very normal

I’m sure we all have done that?

Breakfast on 25th - bacon sarnies round the tree while you open your 'big' prezzies. Small prezzies were in the pillow case your mum swapped over at the bottom of your bed and opened in your parent's bed (only after 7 am).

Breakfast on 26th - cold sliced turkey with salt in bed with mum while dad finished off the previous day's washing/tidying up downstairs.

Lunch on 25th - the usual, but always interrupted half way through by my aunt calling from America - drove mum crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I always thought christmas morning was poached eggs with ham or slices of corn beef and loads of ketch up
    I think its because my father was a german refugee in the war that was always our tradition so i have carried it over and anyway i love it hehehe

Breakfast a cup of tea and a cigarette.

Xmas diner a ham sandwich, (i have had this for the last 3 years), lounge in front of the telly and do jack sh1t all day long.

NARVELLOUS.

XXX XXX DTS Dave

Breakfast is whatever you can find in the cupboards at our house on christmas morning as long as it isn't what's planned for dinner. Everyone gets up in their own time as long as it's by 11.

Thats when the champagne gets opened for champagne cocktails while opening christmas presents along with smoked salmon on homemade bread and crisps and nuts.

Dinner is Fillet of local aberdeen angus roast beef with all the trimmings followed by my mum's home made cold chrisgtmas pud which is an ice cream version of traditional christmas pud.

Then later on it's cheeses, mince pies, christmas cake and coffee if you still have room!

Haven't grown up with the Xmas turkey tradition and it's still not my game... Actually always made an effort to cook ann/or eat anything BUT the traditional Turkey dinner. But 2 years ago I folded and cooked my first (and so far only) Xmas turkey! Friends were amazed and claimed it was the best they ever had.. But then they are friends, so bless them;-)

Traditionally growing up in Belgium it was rabbit with a side dish of macerated prunes year after year, as it was for New Year, Easter and every other high day of the year as dad loves it. Breakfast was brunch with lots of different breads, rolls, croissants, charcuterie, cheeses and some kind of eggy dish one way or another. Finished off with stollen if anyone had room left.

O, and it was festive dinner, never lunch and even to date I can't quite do the lunch thing... late brunch, festive snacky bits during the day and then dinner before falling onto the sofa with a nice tipple (or two...)

This year, sticking with the roast bird theme, but duck this time and goos fat roasties etc etc etc. Yummmmmm....

Bacon sarnies for brekkie. The main event will be home made stilton and asparagus soup, followed by turkey and ham, roasties, brussels with chestnuts and parsnips coated in parmesan cheese and then XMas pud with brandy butter, again home made. Simon's Mum is making sherry trifle (bless her, coz I hate it!) and then if anyone has room........home made mince pies!

Re the crackers, I prefer the 'fill your own' and have put in minatures of whiskey, brandy and baileys or chocolates.........

So, yes, a bit traditional!

But the best XMas lunches are those made by others!

Elaine

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I was a child, my uncle owned a chain of butchers and he used to give my Mum a 'boned and stuffed turkey' but it wasn't stuffed in the normal way...it was stuffed with 'other' birds, such as goose, guinea fowl, duck breasts and layered with stuffing and sausage meat and a centre line of pistachio nuts..

It was lovely but my mum used to dread cooking it!

But for the last 16 or so years, we usually go away.. I'm not silly!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast with Bucks Fizz. Heaven.

If we have dinner at home my mum does a 3 course traditional roast with all the trimmings. This year we're at my Aunt's though and she can't cook. So it's M&S Christmas dinner. No dessert. And later on she might try and put out a few nibbles (although one year she attempted to feed 10 of us with 2 carrots and a block of cheese).

xXx

Thread Information