Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Slow vs Fast...is it a precision thing??

Commercial Operator

Re: Slow vs Fast...is it a precision thing??

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    When you get to fast dancing well, there is a speed of thought, quickness of movement etc. needed for balance, precision and control etc. that just isn't required in slow dancing. For that reason it inherently requires a better technique than slow dancing where you have time to make constant adjustments and compensations. Musicality is another case in point. Like the really good footballers somehow always have time to control the football compared to their more rushed not-so-good collegues, it takes a really good dancer to always have time for musicality at the faster pace. With slow dancing no such pressure. All things being equal, good fast dancing is undoubtedly harder than good slow dancing.
    In the last few years I've found that fast is actually the new slow. At least it is for me.

Those mentally fast tracks that used to signal "time for a break" are now the ones where I seek out a great partner: just like I used to do when I heard the intro to a slow track.

There's just a much playful stuff in fast tracks as there is in the slower stuff. It just comes at you faster. And the great thing about fast tracks is that the difference between moving and not moving is so much more dramatic.

All IMO of course
    I'm glad there's more people who are "H" free

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    My taste has changed because of dancing.. I listen to a wider range of music and my "favourite" type of music has now slowed down. Never thought I'd say I like ella fitzgerald!
    Did you know that Ella sings "I won't dance" with Louis Armstrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cool View Post
    [:
    As for Ella Fitzgerald pure magic [quote]

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When you get to fast dancing well, there is a speed of thought, quickness of movement etc. needed for balance, precision and control etc. that just isn't required in slow dancing.
    I kind of know what you're saying, but I disagree about some aspects. Balance, for example - not really required for fast dancing as you're constantly moving. It's much more difficult to achieve balance moving slowly, as small mistakes are more obvious.

Dancing slowly well (in MJ) is extremely difficult - most people look like, as a friend said "They're on drugs" - look at the recent Blues competition DVD for example, most of the competitors just can't dance to slow music, and that's painfully obvious.

All things being equal, good fast dancing is undoubtedly harder than good slow dancing.
    All things being equal, they're equally difficult.

Dancing well, in any genre, to any speed, is equally difficult. It's a beginner-level fallacy to think that Slow Dancing is Cool Dancing - about the level of analysis that thinks that if you're dancing in a slot you must be doing WCS - but that doesn't mean that Fast Dancing is easier - or more difficult - than slow dancing.

It just requires different skills, that's all.

However, this is just not true. Tell me what out of control, balance, precision, timing etc you actually d'ont need to do a drop at fast pace compared to slow pace ??? Which one of these can you get wrong, or leave out, make a sin, and somehow hide and still complete the move well ? LOL. The same applies to all other moves to differing degrees.
    Ah, I wasn't talking about moves, I was talking about dancing

OK, seriously now.... a lack of quality of movement is painfully obvious at slow paces, and virtually everyone makes the mistake of rushing to the next step and then having to wait half a beat to stay on time once they get there in the beggining. A regular (for MJ) pace of music is much more forgiving in this regard.

Speed helps to hide the lack of this quality of movement to a large degree. These are the "sins" I was refering to.

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy
    When you get to fast dancing well, there is a speed of thought, quickness of movement etc. needed for balance, precision and control etc. that just isn't required in slow dancing. For that reason it inherently requires a better technique than slow dancing where you have time to make constant adjustments and compensations. Musicality is another case in point. Like the really good footballers somehow always have time to control the football compared to their more rushed not-so-good collegues, it takes a really good dancer to always have time for musicality at the faster pace. With slow dancing no such pressure. All things being equal, good fast dancing is undoubtedly harder than good slow dancing.

All IMO of course
    I take it you stopped reading my post at the point you quoted and didn't bother with the rest of it then?

I'll be nice and help you out so you don't have to page back and find it. It was:
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey
    Of course, the same applies to really fast music. You need more skill to dance comfortably at a very fast speed as well compared to the usual MJ range.

So don't sweat it and try dancing to tracks you'd normally consider to be too fast or too slow when you get the chance. It'll feel weird for a while but once you get used to it you may find you appreciate it a lot more

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post

There's just a much playful stuff in fast tracks as there is in the slower stuff. It just comes at you faster. And the great thing about fast tracks is that the difference between moving and not moving is so much more dramatic.

I'm glad there's more people who are "H" free
    I love that. Although I prefer songs with slow passages, and fast passages, the contrast really makes the dance for me. (think I've said that before on here ) The Bongo song (proper version), although well overplayed now and a long way from 'subtle', and hated by many always slips into my mind

Yes, long ago, I thought; given my posts on here I could no longer include the 'H' and keep a pure heart

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I kind of know what you're saying, but I disagree about some aspects. Balance, for example - not really required for fast dancing as you're constantly moving. It's much more difficult to achieve balance moving slowly, as small mistakes are more obvious.
    *shrug* Can only speak for myself here, but I don't constantly move during fast dances
    And, LOL, I really don't agree that balance is not required for fast dancing. I agree the emphasize on certain skills may be slightly different, but a pair of fast dancers without balance, well... you'd certainly notice.

You make it sound like Blues rooms are full of stuttering dancers unable to keep their balance That's certainly generally not what I see even on lesson nights.

Blog Entries

You make it sound like Blues rooms are full of stuttering dancers unable to keep their balance
    Moi?

Commercial Operator

Dancing slowly well (in MJ) is extremely difficult - most people look like, as a friend said "They're on drugs" - look at the recent Blues competition DVD for example, most of the competitors just can't dance to slow music, and that's painfully obvious.

All things being equal, they're equally difficult.
    Well - that's just it, isn't it? Like most dances, MJ is geared towards a certain set of musical styles and a certain speed range - go outside of that range in either direction, and you need a change of technique at the very least, and quite possibly a change of dance - there is, in fact, an old saying of 'let the music dictate the dance' which makes a lot of sense here.

Personally - if the track is 80BPM, for example, I'll have shed all pretence of doing MJ, and reverted to my nice comfortable blues techniques. For a 180bpm track, with the right partner, if there's a trace of swing in it, I'll most likely be doing Lindy. At 220, depending on the track and my partner, I'll quite likely be doing Lindy, Charleston, Balboa, or some strange blend of the three...

Just a case of using the best tools for the job at hand.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Well - that's just it, isn't it? Like most dances, MJ is geared towards a certain set of musical styles and a certain speed range - go outside of that range in either direction, and you need a change of technique at the very least, and quite possibly a change of dance - there is, in fact, an old saying of 'let the music dictate the dance' which makes a lot of sense here.
    Yes - hence my reference to the Blues DVD, which from a certain point-of-view often looks like slowmo dancing

Personally - if the track is 80BPM, for example, I'll have shed all pretence of doing MJ, and reverted to my nice comfortable blues techniques. For a 180bpm track, with the right partner, if there's a trace of swing in it, I'll most likely be doing Lindy. At 220, depending on the track and my partner, I'll quite likely be doing Lindy, Charleston, Balboa, or some strange blend of the three...
    Just a case of using the best tools for the job at hand.
    Yeah, I do the same sort of thing, but with Latin / AT instead of those Weird Kick-y Dances you're talking about.

Commercial Operator

Yes - hence my reference to the Blues DVD, which from a certain point-of-view often looks like slowmo dancing
    Yeah - I'd be interested to see that DVD. Just not interested enough to buy it... I don't suppose any of it has *cough* 'leaked' anywhere, has it?

Yeah, I do the same sort of thing, but with Latin / AT instead of those Weird Kick-y Dances you're talking about.
    Only one kicky dance there (Charleston) - the others are as smooth as silk.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    In the last few years I've found that fast is actually the new slow.

I'm glad to see there are people who aren't obsessed by the fast=bad, slow=good mentality.

Dan

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by gebandemuishond View Post
    I'm glad to see there are people who aren't obsessed by the fast=bad, slow=good mentality.
    I think it's more of an 'unfamiliar=bad' or 'difficult=bad' mentality - but I either way, I agree it's not the best way of looking at things.

Only one kicky dance there (Charleston) - the others are as smooth as silk.
    The way you dance 'em, anyway.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by gebandemuishond View Post

Dan
    My obsession is dancing. It can be satisfied at any speed

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    The way you dance 'em, anyway.
    I wish.... OK - to qualify - Balboa (done well) has to be smooth as silk. It just doesn't work otherwise. Lindy... has many styles . Smooth Lindy is my favourite.

I wish.... OK - to qualify - Balboa (done well) has to be smooth as silk. It just doesn't work otherwise. Lindy... has many styles . Smooth Lindy is my favourite.
    Smooth Lindy? Is there such a thing? Or perhaps the music has to be right? or maybe none of the above.

Who knows huh?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post
    Smooth Lindy? Is there such a thing?
    There is indeed - that's where WCS originated (took some of the good bits from Dean Collins / Hollywood style Lindy, then made it all look the same )

Wecome back btw. We've missed you

Smooth Lindy? Is there such a thing? Or perhaps the music has to be right? or maybe none of the above.

Who knows huh?
    After comments like these, I had to actually take a look at the "propper" lindy scene, what I found really surprised me, I want to learn lindy now.

Yes there is such a thing as smooth lindy, it's

There is indeed - that's where WCS originated (took some of the good bits from Dean Collins / Hollywood style Lindy, then made it all look the same )
    I know - Put the bait on

Wecome back btw. We've missed you
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    After comments like these, I had to actually take a look at the "propper" lindy scene, what I found really surprised me, I want to learn lindy now.

Yes there is such a thing as smooth lindy, it's

Reel them in

You should ask Straycat to look at some of his clips - You will find them awesome! Especially the ones of him dancing. He really does know what he's talking about!

One of the reasons I made the comment I did.... Kinda proves my point

Blog Entries

Blimey, it's the Ghost of Christmas past

Thread Information