Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Slow vs Fast...is it a precision thing??

Commercial Operator

Re: Slow vs Fast...is it a precision thing??

Quote Originally Posted by gebandemuishond View Post
    Yes, slow tracks often require better dancing to make it work, and so maybe when you finally manage to slow dance properly you'll start to get snobish and refuse to dance to faster, "thump thump" music. In my view, it's quite sad how people who have been dancing for a while change their musical tastes to "more sophisticated", slower, intepretable tracks.
    Point of order - the speed of a track, and its degree of sophistication are completely unrelated. One can have incredibly complex sophisticated yet blindingly fast tracks. And one can have over-simplistic dull slow ones.

My tastes have changed considerably since I started dancing, and I have even been called a 'musical snob' before now - but if I look at how much I enjoyed dancing to thump-thump stuff all those years ago (which I certainly did enjoy) - I now get ten times the enjoyment and satisfaction from dancing musically to more sophisticated tracks - which is what it's all about. I very much hope that you experience the same thing as you keep dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Point of order - the speed of a track, and its degree of sophistication are completely unrelated. One can have incredibly complex sophisticated yet blindingly fast tracks. And one can have over-simplistic dull slow ones.

My tastes have changed considerably since I started dancing, and I have even been called a 'musical snob' before now - but if I look at how much I enjoyed dancing to thump-thump stuff all those years ago (which I certainly did enjoy) - I now get ten times the enjoyment and satisfaction from dancing musically to more sophisticated tracks - which is what it's all about. I very much hope that you experience the same thing as you keep dancing.
    Says who? So do you think that applies to everybody?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    Says who? So do you think that applies to everybody?
    I was thinking that my use of the first person throughout what I was saying would have clued people in on that. If I rephrase the hilighted bit to: 'which is, for me, what it's all about', does that make it easier?

I was thinking that my use of the first person throughout what I was saying would have clued people in on that. If I rephrase the hilighted bit to: 'which is, for me, what it's all about', does that make it easier?
    Soz, I missed off the sarcy emoticon.

Commercial Operator

It's Christmas - the sarcy emoticon is currently unavailable (he doesn't like cold weather, and is off enjoying the Bahamas with the sultry emoticon)

Maybe more to do with balance than precision. Staying on one foot for a whole beat is harder to slower music, as there is a bigger gap between beats.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Maybe more to do with balance than precision. Staying on one foot for a whole beat is harder to slower music, as there is a bigger gap between beats.
    To reinforce this, when the music is slower you need to take care to use the whole of the beat to complete your movement. Don't rush to the next weight transfer as you'll have to wait for the beat to catch you up before you start moving again. This means your dancing will be more fluid and less staccato.

The other thing you will find when you've been dancing for a while is that fast music isn't as fast as you thought it was. You were just taking too big a step and had to move fast to cover the ground. Once you've started taking smaller steps you'll find that the fast music is as much fun as the slow music. Eventually you'll realise that preferring slow music was just part of the journey.

p.s. Ella Fitzgerald

Commercial Operator

Steven666 - the new woodface?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Steven666 - the new woodface?
    depends if his forum career is increasingly annoying, occasionally arrogant and always argumentative - only to be cut short by a weird arrest and conviction i suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    depends if his forum career is increasingly annoying, occasionally arrogant and always argumentative - only to be cut short by a weird arrest and conviction i suppose
    Me to a tea!

Quote Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
    I exchanged a couple of views on this with an old hand tonight........I've only been dancing a few weeks (7x to be precise), and I find that fast is much preferrable to slow.

I'm sure its because I don't have time to think about what I should be doing, and that a natural 'following' instinct kicks in. When the beat slows I find that I really have to concentrate on what is coming next....almost trying to anticipate the next move, which in turn makes me falter......

.....I'm sure that experience is going to iron things out, and I'm certainly not worried by it.....

....but any comments would be muchos gracias!
    I have been dancing MJ for years, and last night was the first time I really felt I made a slow track work. I am still on the high. The very next track I swapped the blues room for the main hall and had a very wild up-tempo bounce around, and loved that too. That diversity is just one of the reasons I love MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    My taste has changed because of dancing.. I listen to a wider range of music and my "favourite" type of music has now slowed down. Never thought I'd say I like ella fitzgerald!
    Her version of "Lady is a Tramp" is one of my favourite songs.

Why is it never played?

To reinforce this, when the music is slower you need to take care to use the whole of the beat to complete your movement. Don't rush to the next weight transfer as you'll have to wait for the beat to catch you up before you start moving again. This means your dancing will be more fluid and less staccato.
    Good posting.

p.s. Ella Fitzgerald

I exchanged a couple of views on this with an old hand tonight........I've only been dancing a few weeks (7x to be precise), and I find that fast is much preferrable to slow.

I'm sure its because I don't have time to think about what I should be doing, and that a natural 'following' instinct kicks in. When the beat slows I find that I really have to concentrate on what is coming next....almost trying to anticipate the next move, which in turn makes me falter......

.....I'm sure that experience is going to iron things out, and I'm certainly not worried by it.....

....but any comments would be muchos gracias!

I hope thats not me your calling old

28 not old

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I hope thats not me you're calling old

28 not old
    Absolutely right. Twenty eight it not old. And Fletch has a few years to go before she reaches that age

Absolutely right. Twenty eight it not old. And Fletch has a few years to go before she reaches that age
    Yes and I'm a monkey's uncle

Commercial Operator

Yes and I'm a monkey's uncle
    I was taking a weight for weight average. Some, fairly heavy, parts of Fletch are only a few years old

I was taking a weight for weight average. Some, fairly heavy, parts of Fletch are only a few years old
    Ah yes......specific gravity :nodsknowledgably:

....she's gonna kill me when she sees me

[
    QUOTE=Jamie;438694]My taste has changed because of dancing.. I listen to a wider range of music and my "favourite" type of music has now slowed down. Never thought I'd say I like ella fitzgerald! :blush
    :[/QUOTE]

I also enjoy dancing to a wider and wider range of music.
    I still love to dancing to very fast, my basic need is music must make me want to dance.
    I was recently in Dublin and to my delight I discovered I could dance to Irish reels wonderful.

I definatly like a mixture of music.
    I think its important to learn to dance to fast and slow I love both.
    As for Ella Fitzgerald pure magic

I was taking a weight for weight average. Some, , parts of Fletch are only a few years old

There wearing well IMHO

Ah yes......specific gravity :nodsknowledgably:

....she's gonna kill me when she sees me

don't worry honey, i'm sure I will get my own back

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post
    Speed hides a multitude of sins, and you can just go from one move to another which is comfortable in the early days. When the speed is slower you find you have a lot of time to fill, but don't have the experience to fill it well yet. Slow music is harder to dance in a way that looks and feels good, basically.
    However, this is just not true. Tell me what out of control, balance, precision, timing etc you actually d'ont need to do a drop at fast pace compared to slow pace ??? Which one of these can you get wrong, or leave out, make a sin, and somehow hide and still complete the move well ? LOL. The same applies to all other moves to differing degrees.

There is sometimes an element of overdone 'go for it' in inexperienced fast dancing that can actually seem to enhance the dance at higher speed and could be mistaken as 'hiding sin'. However, if it's overdone, there is always a price, and that price is control. We've all seen the two windmills colliding dance effect There's a big argument that the 'Go for it' effect should always remain at some level, but experienced dancers submerge it somewhat beneath 'control'.

When you get to fast dancing well, there is a speed of thought, quickness of movement etc. needed for balance, precision and control etc. that just isn't required in slow dancing. For that reason it inherently requires a better technique than slow dancing where you have time to make constant adjustments and compensations. Musicality is another case in point. Like the really good footballers somehow always have time to control the football compared to their more rushed not-so-good collegues, it takes a really good dancer to always have time for musicality at the faster pace. With slow dancing no such pressure. All things being equal, good fast dancing is undoubtedly harder than good slow dancing.

All IMO of course

Thread Information