Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Franco's Weekenders

Re: Franco's Weekenders

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    But I think Ceroc seem to have achieved a monopoly in the "Really dumbass names for weekenders" market.
    What name/s would you call them ?

SWISH,BREEZE etc roll of the tongue

some one liners are here

BBC News | Entertainment | The 60 best one-liners

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    What name/s would you call them ?
    What, you want me to do Ceroc's marketing for them now?

Actually, "Swish" is OK - as is the tagline "The Posh One". It's easy to remember and associate; "Oh yes, that's the one in the hotel".

"Storm" isn't too bad, in that it was the first, so I can remember that it's the March one in Camber.

But I can never remember the difference between Chill, Breeze, Blaze, Bliss, Splash etc. They have no identifying characteristics. I mean, you might think that "Chill" was a winter weekender, "Breeze" was in Scotland, "Blaze" was in summer, "Splash" was the holiday abroad, and so on. Ho ho...

Anyone been to this venue ?

I worry about the numbers to make it a viable event given the size of the venue ?
    Yes, we actually went down last year with a view to running a Utopia event at the sister hotel and also went across to see Lakeside which is routinely used for Salsa w/e's.

All I will say is that it didn't suit our purposes and that the majority of the accommodation, from what we saw, looks nothing like it does on the Warners website - unless of course they've done a massive refurbishment in the last 12 months.

The large 'dance space' that they showed us was a bowling complex with gulleys around the sides that looked like an aircraft hanger. It's always difficult to create an atmosphere in a sports arena firstly because of the size and secondly because of the sound issues. Still anything's possible if you have the inclination, the time and the money.

These things are of course what you make them. Swish and Rock Bottoms has proved that the half board concept creates a real feeling of community, so I will be very interested to read the reviews.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    that the majority of the accommodation, from what we saw, looks nothing like it does on the Warners website
    Do any holiday parks? I've yet to go to one that looks like the pics in the advertising.

The large 'dance space' that they showed us was a bowling complex with gulleys around the sides that looked like an aircraft hanger.
    Like the SWISH one? That was an indoor bowls complex?
    It's always difficult to create an atmosphere in a sports arena firstly because of the size and secondly because of the sound issues.
    Emma Petitt seems to manage this well at Daventry IMO, so hopefully Franco will put in the same effort.

Swish and Rock Bottoms has proved that the half board concept creates a real feeling of community, so I will be very interested to read the reviews.
    I've never been to Rock Bottoms, but at Swish, the half board was a big bonus (apart from the extra pounds gained over the weekend! )

Re: Who's going to what Weekender in 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    So now there are no Jivetime weekenders at Camber in May or November, but there are Ceroc ones, that's a coincidence.
    By 'coincidence' do you mean that Franco didn't have the numbers attending for him to make enough money at Camber anymore so now he's changed to a cheaper venue that takes less people? That isn't a 'coincidence', that's an opportunity isn't it?

Blog Entries

By 'coincidence' do you mean that Franco didn't have the numbers attending for him to make enough money at Camber anymore so now he's changed to a cheaper venue that takes less people? That isn't a 'coincidence', that's an opportunity isn't it?
    I think she really meant "I know, let's stir it up a bit and see who bites"...

You've missed 3 out. Jivetimes' Riot April 18-21 and Spree Oct 10-13
    Jiveaddictions' WCS weekender in Weston April 11-13
    So now there are no Jivetime weekenders at Camber in May or November, but there are Ceroc ones, that's a coincidence.
    I think what she's actually trying to tell us all is that she's Franco's love child and NOT Dickie Davies' love child as advertised..

Commercial Operator

I think what she's actually trying to tell us all is that she's Franco's love child
    In that case, would it be remiss of me to say, "Di, you're younger than you look"?

Greg

No flies on you is there DJ? I even predicted the biter

well looks like both parties have been lying to their punters Its not on their web site ?

so looks like ceroc now have taken over the May booking

could we have Franco events listed and remove the more obsecure entries , e.g scottish ones
    Last edited by stewart38; 19th-December-2007 at 06:36 PM.

By 'coincidence' do you mean that Franco didn't have the numbers attending for him to make enough money at Camber anymore so now he's changed to a cheaper venue that takes less people?
    It doesn't seem that way from the emails that have been sent out.

Quote Originally Posted by an email from Jivetime
    We will not organise any jive weekends at Camber Sands in 2008 because our traditional dates in April/May and November have not been made available to us despite us requesting these dates well in advance. As such, we presently have no association with any weekender that may take place at Camber from this point forward and untill further notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    That isn't a 'coincidence', that's an opportunity isn't it
    Well it looks like that 'opportunity' has been snapped up by Ceroc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    I think what she's actually trying to tell us all is that she's Franco's love child and NOT Dickie Davies' love child as advertised..
    You, of all people, should know, not to believe everything you read on here.

Blog Entries

No flies on you is there DJ?
    Well, it wasn't exactly a major challenge to my genius-level intellect, you know

Anyway, it's best to chat about Franco's weekenders on the Franco's weekenders thread.

Blog Entries

I got a flyer through the post for this. I have to say, it looks lovely - much nicer than Pontins, although admittedly that's not hard. And it's a lovely area - beaches and so on.

It says it has "5 venues" - does that mean 5 dance floors, or what?

The only thing that puts me off is the slight tone of attacking-Ceroc, that's in phrases like "We don't charge for car parking", and the note saying "Our traditional Camber events were taken away from us against our will". Well, whatever - frankly, I really don't care that much.

I'm interested, definitely. But I'd need more information, it's a bit vague in parts.

Either way, I'm glad to see Franco's still carrying on with weekenders, it's good that there is choice and diversity available for us.

Well it looks like that 'opportunity' has been snapped up by Ceroc.

You, of all people, should know, not to believe everything you read on here.

Maybe another thread but Franco im sure would have had first choice re next years dates and chose not to take them

Im sure ‘ceroc’ didn’t snap them up first

The ceroc las vegas may event isnt on the ceroc main site

Commercial Operator

I got a flyer through the post for this. I have to say, it looks lovely - much nicer than Pontins, although admittedly that's not hard. And it's a lovely area - beaches and so on.

It says it has "5 venues" - does that mean 5 dance floors, or what?

The only thing that puts me off is the slight tone of attacking-Ceroc, that's in phrases like "We don't charge for car parking", and the note saying "Our traditional Camber events were taken away from us against our will". Well, whatever - frankly, I really don't care that much.

I'm interested, definitely. But I'd need more information, it's a bit vague in parts.

Either way, I'm glad to see Franco's still carrying on with weekenders, it's good that there is choice and diversity available for us.
    David hes obviously bitter thats its been well known for years that its was a priority by Ceroc HO to get Franco out of Camber because he was successful at least of getting 1500-1600 people to a weekender. I was informed that Ceroc offered many deals to Franco but in the end strangely it was matter of perhaps a private deal between Ceroc & Pontins, does anyone know. Something must have gone on because Franco had those dates booked 2 years ago for 2008 at Camber.

As for choice, well done for Franco at least trying to bounce back. Possible Ceroc gossip but I understand now they have achieved Camber they will try attacking Southport. Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    David hes obviously bitter thats its been well known for years that its was a priority by Ceroc HO to get Franco out of Camber because he was successful at least of getting 1500-1600 people to a weekender. I was informed that Ceroc offered many deals to Franco but in the end strangely it was matter of perhaps a private deal between Ceroc & Pontins, does anyone know. Something must have gone on because Franco had those dates booked 2 years ago for 2008 at Camber.

As for choice, well done for Franco at least trying to bounce back. Possible Ceroc gossip but I understand now they have achieved Camber they will try attacking Southport. Your thoughts?
    I dont think pontins would break a agreed contract

Im sure Franco got a large pay off via ceroc/pontins if they did. To say it was unavailble means what ?

Attacking southport would be interesting, i wonder when thats booked up to or how far you can book an event ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

I think you'll find Bluey that Franco is unfortunately his own worst enemy in certain situations.. His w/e's used to be really well attended and now not so much. So venue hire against volume of people I guess means that it was no longer commercially viable for him to continue. It's not really a mystery.

Well err.... that's because they have been sent out by Franco. The venue hire goes up, Franco decides it's too expensive, then tries to negotiate a partnership, and then messes it up. Result: he blames everyone but himself.

Like any businessman he will try and manipulate a negative outcome to suit his purposes. Do you remember the whole gender balance thing - now that was just plain embarrassing..

Commercial Operator

I think you'll find Bluey that Franco is unfortunately his own worst enemy in certain situations.. His w/e's used to be really well attended and now not so much. So venue hire against volume of people I guess means that it was no longer commercially viable for him to continue. It's not really a mystery.
    Not sure where you get your numbers from, I have a close friend (cerocer) who sadly some would say went to all Cambers this year, he reports Jivetime events were much busier that Cerocs events, if the one last month was busy he says then the ceroc.

Why have ceroc for last 3 years wanted Camber and then got in the back door when they had to buy out Rebel Roc. Why because Franco had high numbers and they wanted them. Time will tell next year where those who dont enjoy Ceroc events will go to, once cant assume they will go to Jivetimes traditional November weekender.

Maybe one day (unlikely) will get the truth rather than us all guessing. I havent seen the flyer David mentions but if "F" is attacking "C" there must be a reason, maybe "C" tried doing a deal as a smokescreen with "F" but all the time negoiatating a seperate deal with Pontins as it looks that way. Maybe if there was a deal breaker fee paid via "C" to Pontins to "F"

any one know?

Commercial Operator

Attacking southport would be interesting, i wonder when thats booked up to or how far you can book an event ahead
    But why?

Thread Information