Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you give to Charity?

Do you give to Charity?

It’s the time of year to give? Do you give all the time, at this time of year or don’t bother and if you give to whom?

I read in the Evening Standard last night that in London, Large Corporate companies give a lot less then 1% of their pre tax profit to ‘good causes’

A few billion in bonuses but £4 to a good cause which goes to £5 if it can go on their web site re what they have done

I also see an increase in collections for ‘good causes’ at this time of year (shopping centres/Tubes stations etc) I personally think there is over kill on that type of stuff but each to their own.

I’m more likely to give money to a singer on the tube rather then someone who rattles a tin in front of me

Don’t like beggars but if someone wants to stand on a box and paint themselves in gold and not move I’m more likely to give to them

Im not suggesting charity is just about people on streets of course

If you feel the need to donate feel free

Stewart38

Sort code 43-45-67

Bank account 65471283

Re: Do you give to Charity?

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post

I’m more likely to give money to a singer on the tube rather then someone who rattles a tin in front of me

Don’t like beggars but if someone wants to stand on a box and paint themselves in gold and not move I’m more likely to give to them

Im not suggesting charity is just about people on streets of course

If you feel the need to donate feel free

Stewart38

Sort code 43-45-67

Bank account 65471283
    i've got no money but you can have some rep!!

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post

Sort code 43-45-67

Bank account 65471283
    tried to make a withdrawal the numbers wrong stewart

as for the charity yes there are certain ones i will always give to
    mcmillan nurses, heart disease etc
    any others depends on individual merit

I give to cancer research & born free throughout the year. 2 is my limit and I hate cold callers phoning me up to tell me about a charity that needs my help.....

Commercial Operator

I choose one charity. I give to my local hospice. Even then I'm slightly angry that such an important and essential service relies on charity. Especially when HMGov are giving to elite causes like the opera and hopeless causes like much of the foreign aid we splash around the world

Blog Entries

When the NSPCC started putting those really sad ads on the TV which must have been around 1997, i got straight on the phone and set up a direct debit whilst sobbing through my tears. I have paid £10 a month ever since and they write to me regularly asking me to increase it if i can.

I understand why they do this and do not get the hump with it. They are trying to bring money in to help children as are any charity with its own cause.

I still cant watch the adverts.

I'm a total pushover for these charity recruitment people, who pounce on you on the street and have signed up to:

The Association for International Cancer Research
    Amnesty
    Cancer Research
    Greenpeace
    Help The Aged
    Plan International - (sponsor a child in Tanzania and we exchange letters)
    Save The Children
    Shelter

I don't grudge it - it helps ease my guilt to throw money at charities since I don't have time to do any actual voluntary work any more.

I gave a fiver to a homeless bloke who was freezing his brass monkey''s off in Kingsway the other day. I walked away hoping he would go and buy something to eat or a hot drink but you never know.

I then went off to a meeting, came out and fancied a coffee...went to Starbucks and realised I'd given the last of my cash to the homeless bloke and Starbucks don't take cards.

How's that for a bleedin' sacrifice.

Blog Entries

Unlike Isis, I really object to chuggers however good the cause in question! But I do try to give regularly to charity and give a regular montly amount to Beth Shalom which is a Holocaust memorial and education centre based in the UK. I also tend to give to appeals - Comic Relief, Children In Need and to the DEC and will usually sponsor people who are raising funds for charity.

The charity I have actively raised funds for, as well as giving myself, is the Stroke Association. I ran the London Marathon this year and raised just over £2,000 for them, and I'm running it again next year hoping to raise £2,500 for Stroke ([shameless plug]check out my fundraising page[/shameless plug]). 2008 marks the tenth anniversary of my Gran's death from stroke, so it is a cause close to my heart.

The key thing to remember about charitable giving, if you are a UK taxpayer, is that it is really worthwhile to tick the gift aid box so that the charity can recaim from the Revenue the basic rate tax you have paid on the amount donated. This currently gives them 28p extra for every £1 you donate.

I hated my soul-destroying career in medical insurance, so I gave it up and now work helping to raise money for a charity. I'm poorer but much happier.

Hubby and I give an agreed percentage of our income to chosen charities each year, and we always do Gift Aid, so the total is bumped up.

Street collections etc -I sometimes give if somebody is collecting with a tin, but I disapprove of 'chugging' (those people with clipboards who approach you on the street).

We give mostly to environmental/medical charities or charities with less popular appeal.

Anybody want to give some money to the Carnoustie Bat Hospital?

I find that if I go to collect a bat from a posh house they never so much as offer you your petrol money, let alone think about how much money it costs me to care for the bats. But if I go to a poorer area they will empty their penny jar to help out. I'm speaking about Surrey here, just moved to Scotland so not much experience on the folks up here. I once went to a really posh house (electric gates, big house at the end of the drive) and wasn't even allowed to stand in the kitchen while they fetched the bat out to me, and yes it was raining. This family had seven cars lined up in a coach house, six were covered up but the runaround was a new Aston Martin. Did they make a donation?...have a guess

Has anyone had any of the begging phone calls lately ?

I have had a couple, both after 9pm from really nicely spoken ladies who said they work for a charity trust for severely disabled children.

These phone calls really make me cross, they make me feel so guilty. I would have no problem popping a pound or two in a collection box, but to ring at this time of an evening begging for help or money, I find almost offensive

Can't we choose to give money to charity and to the charity of our choice, without being badgered into it with emotional blackmale

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Has anyone had any of the begging phone calls lately ?

I have had a couple, both after 9pm from really nicely spoken ladies who said they work for a charity trust for severely disabled children.

These phone calls really make me cross, they make me feel so guilty. I would have no problem popping a pound or two in a collection box, but to ring at this time of an evening begging for help or money, I find almost offensive

Can't we choose to give money to charity and to the charity of our choice, without being badgered into it with emotional blackmale
    Sign up to the telephone preference service and you'll never get another unsolicited phone call again . You can do the same for junk mail too.

Quote Originally Posted by batnurse View Post
    Anybody want to give some money to the Carnoustie Bat Hospital?

I find that if I go to collect a bat from a posh house they never so much as offer you your petrol money, let alone think about how much money it costs me to care for the bats. But if I go to a poorer area they will empty their penny jar to help out. I'm speaking about Surrey here, just moved to Scotland so not much experience on the folks up here. I once went to a really posh house (electric gates, big house at the end of the drive) and wasn't even allowed to stand in the kitchen while they fetched the bat out to me, and yes it was raining. This family had seven cars lined up in a coach house, six were covered up but the runaround was a new Aston Martin. Did they make a donation?...have a guess
    Doesn't surprise me at all. What do you do with the rescued bats?

I hate the street chuggers. WHen you shake your head at them saying no you can't stop, they actually follow me down the street, saying yes you do have time, in the end i tell them to **** off....

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Flicts View Post
    Doesn't surprise me at all. What do you do with the rescued bats?
    Ideally I get them fixed up and release them back to the wild, sometimes I have to put them to sleep If they can't be released but I think they'll be happy in captivity I will keep them and use them as PR bats to give talks to groups, I have eight at the moment. Babies are hand reared but can't go back to the wild as they need mum to show them how to hunt and where all of the good roosts are.
    I have to pay for all of the food, vets bills and equipment myself, although the Surrey Bat Group used to give me some money every year. The Angus bat group is not so well off

Quote Originally Posted by jeanag View Post
    I hate the street chuggers. WHen you shake your head at them saying no you can't stop, they actually follow me down the street, saying yes you do have time, in the end i tell them to **** off....
    I agree. I think it's a really awful way to raise funds. (My charity does NOT do it, I hasten to add!)

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Flicts View Post
    I agree. I think it's a really awful way to raise funds.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Why?
    Because if you say no, it means no.

They always try and stop me in London...usually around Covent Garden, when I'm on my way to a meeting.

But even if I wasn't on my way to a meeting and I just didn't want to give any money to their charity...that's my business. I don't want to be followed down the street, with these Numpty's trying to make me feel guilty (I don't).

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Because if you say no, it means no.
    I agree but I've always found them very nice and not too pushy. That might have something to do with the fact I'm a total sap and always listen to them and sign up, I suppose.

Thread Information