Thread: Nose Bleed Drop?

Nose Bleed Drop?

Thought I’d try out a new club last night. Whilst there one lass started extolling the virtues of the ‘Nosebleed drop’. Seems she saw it on SCD and decided it was the move for her. Not quite sure who she’s been doing it with but she clearly thought she’d got it nailed.

At first I thought she was talking about the ‘kiss the floor’ move (aka Falling angel?) but I think it’s a 2-part-er move. Into a basket type hold, allowing the woman’ to fall across the man till she’s facing the tarmac at close proximity, then slight pull up to release the wrap in and drop her back down with straight uncrossed arms.

What IS this move called? Sure I’ve been taught it before, aeons ago … but need the name. (Going to resist getting into an “All Drops are EVIL” debate).

Re: Nose Bleed Drop?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    At first I thought she was talking about the ‘kiss the floor’ move (aka Falling angel?) but I think it’s a 2-part-er move. Into a basket type hold, allowing the woman’ to fall across the man till she’s facing the tarmac at close proximity, then slight pull up to release the wrap in and drop her back down with straight uncrossed arms.

What IS this move called? Sure I’ve been taught it before, aeons ago … but need the name. (Going to resist getting into an “All Drops are EVIL” debate).
    I call it a nosebleed too. (I've also heard it called a death drop, but there are about 5 drops I've heard called a death drop, so that's not much help...)

One thing I'd say: I generally do drops a lot lower than most people, and I wouldn't attempt to take the first part of this anywhere near to "close proximity to the floor". You're generally going to lose a fair bit of height (18 inches?) during the uncrossing phase.

Registered User Almost an Angel's Avatar
    Heaven of course, currently on secondment to purgatory

Thought I’d try out a new club last night. Whilst there one lass started extolling the virtues of the ‘Nosebleed drop’. Seems she saw it on SCD and decided it was the move for her. Not quite sure who she’s been doing it with but she clearly thought she’d got it nailed.

I've always know that as the nosebreak (for obvious reasons) - there are only a very few guys I will trust to lead this move on me, it's an old school move as far as I'm aware. (As in most of the guys who can successfully lead this without scaring me in the least are old school) I've also just had the nosebreak part done (the wrap in and drop forward) before being pulled back and out rather than unwrapped and dropped back down.

It's an impressive looking move if the guy can lead it (without injuring the lady) - only problem is most of them don't lead it properly (now where have we heard that before)

All drops are not evil - just some of the people who lead them are...... (and I'm talking about the ones who really shouldn't lead them)

And I've heard it as a nosedive. I quite like it with a lead who does it right, but it's as much an issue of comfort as safety (pressure on arms wrapped under ribs can be agony!).

If we can't get the names consistent, hardly a surprise us ladies don't like to be lead vocally, is it?
    Last edited by Tessalicious; 12th-December-2007 at 11:56 AM.

The death drop (or the nose blead drop for slang).

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    The death drop (or the nose blead drop for slang).
    you see, the death drop, to me, is a entirely different drop ... aka suicide drop.

Nice to see that intermediates are picking up these moves from the TV and putting them into practice on packed dancefloors without troubling teachers or having to layout cash on expensive workshops ....

Registered User Almost an Angel's Avatar
    Heaven of course, currently on secondment to purgatory

Nice to see that intermediates are picking up these moves from the TV and putting them into practice on packed dancefloors without troubling teachers or having to layout cash on expensive workshops ....
    I take it sarcasm is just another service you offer?

you see, the death drop, to me, is a entirely different drop ... aka suicide drop.

I've never done it and wouldn't without proper teaching. It's scary to watch people who just try things like that.

What's your death/suicide drop like then?

Quote Originally Posted by Almost an Angel View Post
    I take it sarcasm is just another service you offer?
    Part of the CTA teacher training ... along with such gems as "no ... the other left" etc. etc.

I've never been taught it, and can't lead it very well so I don't do this move, I know the one you mean. I too would call it a Death Drop, but I am no expert on drops so I wouldn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I've never been taught it, and can't lead it very well so I don't do this move,
    Wish more leaders had this approach. I hate when its a case of 'I saw this on TV/DVD/X doing this in freestyle' and proceeding to lead a drop. It happens!

I've only been led that move (or something very similar) a couple of times, by competent leaders who explained what they were doing/were going to do the first time they led it.

"Death drop" does seem like over-selling, compared to Yuval and Nathalie's "Death Dive" at around 4:30 in this:

Thread Information