Thread: Teachers competing in Senior or Over 45/50 categories?

Commercial Operator

Teachers competing in Senior or Over 45/50 categories?

There has been some debate on a couple of threads on this subject. I thought I'd pull it together here.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Dear C2D,

How about removing the "No Teachers" restriction from the seniors category? I'm still 51, even though I do teach, I'd say that teaching on a regular basis makes you even more decrepid than being a regular dancer. Also, I'd say that I'm no better at competition dancing because I'm a teacher - teaching MJ has just made me better at dancing with beginners, not better at dancing.

In my opinion an age group category is all about people of that age showing how good they can be in spite of their age, it's got much less to do with being a dance professional - and I'd never even say I was one of those. The Weston competition allow teachers into their seniors category and I'd have done that if I hadn't already got a dance organised for that date. Go on, let teachers enter the Seniors. I promise to enter if you make the change - I might even dance with a woman like a normal guy - then again I might have an "inspiration"

Yours geriatrically,

Andy x
    Quote Originally Posted by Achaeco View Post
    scenario......
    A 55 yr old couple enter seniors, they have only been dancin 12 months, they dont get through the first round, they are up against teachers who have previously entered the advanced section. Is this fair?????

A teacher/Advanced dancer should in the opinion of C2D dance against their equal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    This is the kind of thinking that got sports days stopped.

Competitions are about finding the best, they are not fair, the best will usually win. There will be winners and there will be losers. A 55 year old couple who have been dancing 12 months should not expect to win a competition. They should be delighted to make it through the first round against people who will have mostly been dancing a lot longer, teacher or not.

Again, wooly thinking that ultimately says that competition is evil because people are not all made equal and some will lose. MOST people will lose - there can be only ONE winner.

If C2D really thought that people should "dance against their equal" you'd have to have a pre-competition dance to make sure everybody in every category was "equal".

Effectively, you'd have to say "you'd win this category as you're not equal to the others in it - therefore you can't be in this category". This means that the competition is to see who should not have been in that category as they've proved that they are not "equal" to the other competitors. Clearly that can not be the case, which is why I'm surprised that C2D are saying it
    My own, admittedly biased, opinion is that there is a strong argument that teachers should be allowed to enter the competition for over 45/50s. We're still the same age/infirmity, we've all probably been dancing for many years and there is a good chance that people who've been dancing for many years will actually "grow" into teaching as their dance "career" progresses. This means that, in excluding teachers, the organisers are excluding people who have no other natural place in competitions and who have the experience in competitions to make it more 'exciting' for the specators

Come on C2D, how about it? If it helps, I promise to dance with a woman*

* although I make no promises about what I'll be wearing

Re: Teachers competing in Senior or Over 45/50 categories?

If there is a couple who are over 50 who has been dancing 12 months, then there is a beginner or intermediate section for them.

Otherwise , let all the old farts battle it out. Who watches it anyway

I would prefer to watch a 21 year old, sex addicted girl, with not much on, making the guy look good....

Having said that, I have yet to reach 50 or even 45, but I would like to enter the "old farts" catogory when I do!!

Commercial Operator

Re: Teachers competing in Senior or Over 45/50 categories?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Having said that, I have yet to reach 50 or even 45, but I would like to enter the "old farts" catogory when I do!!
    I don't think you'd get people saying you didn't look old enough to enter

Thread Information