Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A humble announcement

Re: A humble announcment

Quote Originally Posted by jeanag View Post
    Ah thanks! I was told earlier on this year at my eye exam. Something to do with lens prescription + astigmatism = no suitable lenses... I will be asking again soon though, have a back log of my fortnightlies as have ben wearing my glasses more through sheer laziness

I tried dailies, but my astigmatism was too strong. Also I have very dry eyes, so I can only wear certain types as well. The ones I have at the moment are actually monthly sleep in types, but I take them out every night and clean them (with two different cleaners). However Specsavers did tell me about a type they were hoping to have out at some point which were daily and would suit me, but they didn't have them last time I asked (about 3 months ago).

Barry - I shall undertake further research as requested. However, I do hope that the contact lens force isn't subject to alteration on observation like those pesky particles I know I've read about physicists have trouble with somewhere... I shall report back in due course...

*curses self for not thinking of the alcohol related research first*

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Can I suggest to everyone that they consider daily lenses? They're so much less hassle.
    Are you advancing the hypothesis that the contact lens force © doesn't affect daily lenses?

I can see how the contact lens force © might be impossible to experience while throwing daily lenses away, but my hypothesis is that it affects them just as strongly when you put them in in the morning...

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    I'd help honey but I'm busy trying to solve the worlds energy problems with this slice of buttered toast and this cat.. .. ..
    How does that work then? Some sort of perpetual motion machine involving tying the toast to the cat's tail making it rush round in circles...hmm.

Still, I'm keen to foster independent research and if you submit a proposal to me I will happily fund it out of my Nobel prize money...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Are you advancing the hypothesis that the contact lens force © doesn't affect daily lenses?

I can see how the contact lens force © might be impossible to experience while throwing daily lenses away, but my hypothesis is that it affects them just as strongly when you put them in in the morning...
    I occasionally have a truculent lens which doesn't want to be put in cleanly or sit up right on my finger for insertion, but it's never a big fight. And if a lens misbehaves terribly, there's always another one in the box.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

I occasionally have a truculent lens which doesn't want to be put in cleanly or sit up right on my finger for insertion, but it's never a big fight. And if a lens misbehaves terribly, there's always another one in the box.
    Ah, I comprehend.

You are advancing the possibility that you yourself have a suppressive effect on the contact lens force ©.

Experimental confirmation of this can be obtained. We must arrange for you to be in the proximity of Jeanag or Twirly when they are inserting their lenses. If they experience no difficulties, this will provide startling proof of your theorem!

You might go on to stand at ever increasing distances from them on consecutive mornings to see if the suppressive effect reduces with distance, or whether it is a binary effect - presence/absence at the insertion site.

An Eclectic Toaster

I occasionally have a truculent lens which doesn't want to be put in cleanly or sit up right on my finger for insertion, but it's never a big fight.
    Was it just me, or is it impossible to get all the way through this sentence without smirking?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Was it just me, or is it impossible to get all the way through this sentence without smirking?
    Well, now it is.

I must confess, I smirked and sniggered quite a bit through this sentence before reading this post

Ah, I comprehend.

You are advancing the possibility that you yourself have a suppressive effect on the contact lens force ©.

Experimental confirmation of this can be obtained. We must arrange for you to be in the proximity of Jeanag or Twirly when they are inserting their lenses. If they experience no difficulties, this will provide startling proof of your theorem!

You might go on to stand at ever increasing distances from them on consecutive mornings to see if the suppressive effect reduces with distance, or whether it is a binary effect - presence/absence at the insertion site.
    I am not a morning person and I would not wish poor ducasi to be in any proximity of me whilst inserting lenses.....

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post

I tried dailies, but my astigmatism was too strong. Also I have very dry eyes, so I can only wear certain types as well. The ones I have at the moment are actually monthly sleep in types, but I take them out every night and clean them (with two different cleaners). However Specsavers did tell me about a type they were hoping to have out at some point which were daily and would suit me, but they didn't have them last time I asked (about 3 months ago).

Barry - I shall undertake further research as requested. However, I do hope that the contact lens force isn't subject to alteration on observation like those pesky particles I know I've read about physicists have trouble with somewhere... I shall report back in due course...

*curses self for not thinking of the alcohol related research first*
    Yes I have dry eyes too so have moisture management ones (no smirking allowed!). I bags testing out the alcohol related research - unless if you are in a different county to me Twirly then perhaps we could see if that affects the lenses where you are? Might have something to do with different air or alcohol....am a beer and JD girl, perhaps this needs to be looked into more thoroughly!

Quote Originally Posted by jeanag View Post
    I am not a morning person and I would not wish poor ducasi to be in any proximity of me whilst inserting lenses.....

Oh dear. Where is your spirit of enquiry, the zest in the pursuit of knowledge, the holiness of scientific endeavour?

I - er - I feel confident that um, Ducasi will be a perfect gentleman...

Glad I wasn't the only one.

Oh dear. Where is your spirit of enquiry, the zest in the pursuit of knowledge, the holiness of scientific endeavour?

I - er - I feel confident that um, Ducasi will be a perfect gentleman...
    Erm sure he would.... but if you are insisting it is imperative to the scientific endeavour, am sure I could make an effort.....

[...]

Having experienced lens insertion (smirk!) in various parts of the country, including Dundee (nearish jeanag) and Aberdeen (when Twirly was there) I can't say I recall any greater or lesser difficulty myself. It would be harder to determine whether they are affected by my presence, but it's not unusual for women to be.

Rosyth, just over the bridge from Edinburgh

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov
    How does that work then? Some sort of perpetual motion machine involving tying the toast to the cat's tail making it rush round in circles...hmm.
    This is based on the princple that cats always land on their feet and buttered toast always falls butter side down, so if you tie a piece of buttered toast to a cat's back, nature doesn't know what to do, and the cat hovers, defying gravity.
    Last edited by ducasi; 11th-December-2007 at 08:02 PM. Reason: making quote a quote

Having experienced lens insertion (smirk!) in various parts of the country, including Dundee (nearish jeanag) and Aberdeen (when Twirly was there) I can't say I recall any greater or lesser difficulty myself. It would be harder to determine whether they are affected by my presence, but it's not unusual for women to be.
    Is that a challenge? I thought you were going to say it would depend if the lens insertor (steady!) was male or female....

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Ok not the make-up bit, but if I'm running late and in a real hurry, that's the morning when I get dust on the lenses/they don't clean properly/don't go in straight and it takes me ages to move them around my eye.

However there is something your theory doesn't explain - if contact lenses are so awkward, how do I manage to always take them out, even when really really drunk? I've only woken up twice in the middle of the night with contact lenses still in my eyes, even though I've been wearing them virtually every day for the last 19 years. I've been so drunk that I don't remember getting home, but when I wake up feeling rough the following morning, my contact lenses have magically appeared in my contact lens case somewhere vaguely close to my bed. Barry - can you explain how your theory fits with this please?
    See, it doesn't work like that for me. I started wearing lenses when I was working for Customs and Excise - I would rummage a ship, full of dust and other contact lense hating stuff, not a problem - the minute I would go out and drink - couldn't get them out, not for the life of me. One memorable night was spent at Uluru in Australia, not gazing at the beautiful sunset, having a nice time... no. I was a little plastered I have to admit (it wasn't my fault, blame the now husband!) - I spent ages trying to get my finger into my eye, kept missing and when I did hit the mark, my distance judgement wasn't that great and all I got was a finger in the eye, tears were rolling down my face, Boyfriend offered to help - NO, said I, I'll be fine (imagine that being said in a slurry highland accent) - 40 minutes later I was still there, poking myself in the eye and saying that I would be fine - finally got them out when I started to sober up - in the morning........

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post
    I spent ages trying to get my finger into my eye, kept missing and when I did hit the mark, my distance judgement wasn't that great and all I got was a finger in the eye, tears were rolling down my face
    Ah, now, you see, that's classic contact lens force © at work. It wasn't your distance perception that was at fault, it was the force field around the lens that was deflecting the finger...

How very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by AllanMcC View Post
    This is based on the princple that cats always land on their feet and buttered toast always falls butter side down, so if you tie a piece of buttered toast to a cat's back, nature doesn't know what to do, and the cat hovers, defying gravity.
    OK, well, that's what I had come across before.

My difficulty is in how you extract energy from the system...

Re: A humble announcement

* Isis, the High Priestess of the Contact Lens Force (from long before silly scientists noticed it), uses the knowledge from her magic book to put everyone in the thread into an hypnotic trance*

YOU WILL ALL GO TO ASDA OPTICIANS

YOU WILL ALL BUY CIBA VISION LENSES

(and I don't work for/have shares in either company, they're both just good.)

Thread Information