Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Through the looking glass

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Through the looking glass

I think if people want to organise their OWN records by first name thats up to them, but no public facing company should subscribe to such nonsense. That includes record shops; certain names will be difficult to find no matter WHAT system you use, but to suggest first name is "better" is ludicrous.

It quite annoyed me at the last place I worked at - they listed people in the internal email system with "lastname, firstname" but WITHOUT the comma - when people are talking about others in an email they use "firstname lastname" also, strangely, without a comma . Meaning when people were being refered to i often did not know which name was which. i.e. "John Lesley" has been added to a meeting, is that John or Lesley ? Bearing in mind 50% of the staff were Indian and they were all unfamiliar names...gah!

Ok, it didn't annoy me that much - but it was a fairly glaring piece of silliness

My phone book on my mobile mainly consists of stupid nicknames for people

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Isn't somebody doing that going to run into problems if you have a lot of friends called John? You'll have to scroll through ten to find the one you want.

My phone asks me to input a first name and a last name, and then displays them surname first (though I think you can toggle the display).
    At least it keeps the various members of my extended family apart – no bad thing!

Like jeanag, I have to put up with a stupid phone that likes to show me names as "Lastname Firstname", no matter that I've told it I like to sort it based on first names. It's just one more reason why I want to throw the damn thing away and buy an iPhone.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    At least it keeps the various members of my extended family apart – no bad thing!

Like jeanag, I have to put up with a stupid phone that likes to show me names as "Lastname Firstname", no matter that I've told it I like to sort it based on first names. It's just one more reason why I want to throw the damn thing away and buy an iPhone.
    better check that the iPhone accommodates your preferences!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    better check that the iPhone accommodates your preferences!
    Apple design their products for people – Nokia have designed this phone for a spec sheet.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Apple design their products for people – Nokia have designed this phone for a spec sheet.
    Wow.

No doubt you believe that 9 out 10 cats prefer Whiskers...

1 - have you used one? Had a customer in my shop with one, very nice to look at and play with, but a pain in the arse if you have fat chunky fingers (like me, but they're not overly fat or chunky I'd say)... either that or get a stylish pointy thing to touch the screen.

2 - you must be rich, can I be your friend? I know someone you just spent 900 odd quid on phone/contract and promptly dropped it smashing sexy screen and now has to fork out an excess of 150 quid to get the screen replaced....
    Last edited by jeanie; 10th-December-2007 at 12:00 PM. Reason: oops! grrr can't type fingers are numb

Thread Information