Thread: Come back from the dead

Blog Entries

Come back from the dead

Well, what did that couple think would happen when he returned from being missing for 5 years.

What was going through their minds.

Its absolutely astounding that a couple could do this to thier own children as well.

I bet he thought, if i say i cant remember to every question im asked, we will get away with it. She was thinking, well i'll sort out the furniture before i fly back to England cause i only saw him yesterday, it dont matter.

Any ideas?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Come back from the dead

what on earth are you on about ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    what on earth are you on about ?
    THIS Story

Blog Entries

yes sorry i should have put some names shouldn't i. silly me

But anyway, what were these two thinking.

I mean, how on earth did they think they were going to get away with it.?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    that was pretty useless - i had to click on a previous story to get the beginning bizarre though - why did he walk into a police station at all ?

I guess they didn't realise that there would be such a large media interest. It's mainly because of the press that we found out that he has been living with his wife in Panama for a while now...

I guess he went to the police because he was sick of having to hide and wanted to resume his previous life with his sons and friends.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Thing is now, with the right agent, and if they 'spice it up' perhaps they could make even more money for the full story/book/film rights.............

Isn't it bad enough trying to sort out your deceased life insurance after losing them, then you get half-wits like these people who are basically taking the pi55....Not exactly gonna make things easier for people in the future is. "Madam can you prove your husband isn't living abroad please...'

This is what happened.

They entered into a scheme to defraud his life insurers.

Even when there is no good evidence of death, you can get a declaration of the legal presumption of death; this is not the same as saying someone's dead, but it does mean nobody gets in difficulties afterwards if they act as though the person is dead. So confidential information can be obtained, personal assets can be procured, insurance claims can be made. Complete absence of someone for 7 years creates a presumption that such a declaration should be made.

If there is some evidence of death (damaged kayak, e.g.) then it would be somewhat easier to obtain that declaration.

Mr Darwin (should he be nominated for a Darwin award?!) managed to get himself to Panama where he and Mrs Darwin planned to 'retire'. Her trip out there last year was for the purpose of finding and buying a home. Stupidly they used their real first names and allowed a photo to be taken for use on a 'Buy a home in Panama' web site.

About three months ago Middlesborough police were tipped off the Mr D was still alive, and began making investigations. Presumably the Darwins were alerted. She promptly fled to Panama, leaving two houses full of furniture. Quite why they thought it was important for him to return to the UK and pretend to have amnesia is unclear, but presumably the tip off to the police consisted of an authoritative 'sighting', which they thought they could deal with by him pretending not to remember anything, and which might explain sightings of an apparently dead person.

I believe the sons were in on it as well. This explains the mother's loud and repeated bleating about how "they didn't know, they weren't in on it, I've lost my sons, they'll never forgive me" - all of which sounds rather like Br'er Rabbit begging not to be thrown into the briar patch.

So, this shows one reason why police whodunnits - books, TV and films - are all just that little bit unreal. Even when people get involved in these complex scams, they are dumb as stumps and too stupid to pull it off. For god's sake why didn't he take up wearing sunglasses and baseball caps, and grow a moustache? And she should have worn contact lenses. Good grief.

I imagine some insurance loss adjusters somewhere are watching the news broadcasts with narrowed eyes...

hello friend !
    I want to know that who was come first on the
    earth .
    Hen or Egg .

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    This is what happened.

They entered into a scheme to defraud his life insurers.

Even when there is no good evidence of death, you can get a declaration of the legal presumption of death; this is not the same as saying someone's dead, but it does mean nobody gets in difficulties afterwards if they act as though the person is dead. So confidential information can be obtained, personal assets can be procured, insurance claims can be made. Complete absence of someone for 7 years creates a presumption that such a declaration should be made.

If there is some evidence of death (damaged kayak, e.g.) then it would be somewhat easier to obtain that declaration.

Mr Darwin (should he be nominated for a Darwin award?!) managed to get himself to Panama where he and Mrs Darwin planned to 'retire'. Her trip out there last year was for the purpose of finding and buying a home. Stupidly they used their real first names and allowed a photo to be taken for use on a 'Buy a home in Panama' web site.

About three months ago Middlesborough police were tipped off the Mr D was still alive, and began making investigations. Presumably the Darwins were alerted. She promptly fled to Panama, leaving two houses full of furniture. Quite why they thought it was important for him to return to the UK and pretend to have amnesia is unclear, but presumably the tip off to the police consisted of an authoritative 'sighting', which they thought they could deal with by him pretending not to remember anything, and which might explain sightings of an apparently dead person.

I believe the sons were in on it as well. This explains the mother's loud and repeated bleating about how "they didn't know, they weren't in on it, I've lost my sons, they'll never forgive me" - all of which sounds rather like Br'er Rabbit begging not to be thrown into the briar patch.

So, this shows one reason why police whodunnits - books, TV and films - are all just that little bit unreal. Even when people get involved in these complex scams, they are dumb as stumps and too stupid to pull it off. For god's sake why didn't he take up wearing sunglasses and baseball caps, and grow a moustache? And she should have worn contact lenses. Good grief.

I imagine some insurance loss adjusters somewhere are watching the news broadcasts with narrowed eyes...
    Not being that bright I could only guess that the system takes a bashing every so often when stories like this appear on the news... thanks for enlightining me I still think they're half wits though. Which film did they take inspiration from...

Thread Information