I've seen the same question twice in the last few days, asking how to split quotes. Here is my attempt at explaining the various steps of how I do it. Hope it's useful to someone...

Splitting quotes
1 Press the Quote button on the post you want to quote. This will show message the you're quoting - suppose it goes something like this :

[QUOTE][i]Originally written by Douglas Adams[/i]
[B]Reason notwithstanding, the Universe continues unabated. Its history is terribly long and awfully difficult to understand, even in its simpler moments which are, roughly speaking, the beginning and the end[/B][/QUOTE]

2 Pick out the bits of the quote you want to reuse, and insert extra lines to leave gaps where you want to reply:
[B]Reason notwithstanding, the Universe continues unabated.

Its history is terribly long and awfully difficult to understand,

the end[/B][/QUOTE]

3 At the end of every section, except the last (which already has this), add: [/B][/QUOTE]
(this tells the forum to switch off bold text and switch off quote mode at the end of each section)
[B]Reason notwithstanding, the Universe continues unabated.[/B][/QUOTE]

Its history is terribly long and awfully difficult to understand, [/B][/QUOTE]

the end[/B][/QUOTE]

4 At the start of every section, except the first , add: [QUOTE][B]
(this tells the forum to switch on quote mode and switch on bold text at the start of each section .

[QUOTE][B]Its history is terribly long and awfully difficult to understand, [/B][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE][B]the end[/B][/QUOTE]

5 Add your own words between the quotes

This is my signature at the moment
[QUOTE][B]Its history is terribly long and awfully difficult to understand, [/B][/QUOTE]
.. not unlike Death by Chocolate, or indeed this post
[QUOTE][B]the end[/B][/QUOTE]
final quote.

6 Each quote has lots of blank space after it - to make it slightly tidier, take out the extra spaces and lines before the [QUOTE] and after the [/QUOTE] lines so your reply is immediately after this
This is my signature at the moment[QUOTE][B]Its history is terribly long and awfully difficult to understand, [/B][/QUOTE] .. not unlike Death by Chocolate , or indeed this post[QUOTE][B]the end[/B][/QUOTE] final quote.

7 The resultant message should look something like this:
Originally written by Douglas Adams
Reason notwithstanding, the Universe continues unabated.
This is my signature at the moment
Its history is terribly long and awfully difficult to understand,
.. not unlike Death by Chocolate , or indeed this post
the end
final quote.