• I’m old fashioned and send Christmas cards by snail mail

16 64.00%
  • I’m modern and send e-Christmas cards

2 8.00%
  • I don’t send Christmas cards as I belong to another faith

1 4.00%
  • I belong to another faith but I still send Christmas cards

1 4.00%
  • I send another type card (e.g. mid-winter festival) as I don’t believe in sending religious cards

1 4.00%
  • Bah humbug!

11 44.00%
  • What’s a Christmas card

2 8.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas cards

Christmas cards

Should we send cards at all, bearing in mind the cost to the environment? Would the Post Office go out of business if we didn’t since so many people communicate electronically now, it must be one of the few profitable times of year for them? Even if we do send them, do they stand a hope in h£ell’s chance of getting there the way the PO works these days?!

I still send them via snail mail, but last year found myself wondering if I should for some of the above reasons. But I like receiving them, and having them around the place. I hear from people whom I don’t hear anything of for the rest of the year. And some of my friends aren’t actually on e-mail…

Am also wondering, should we have a “Santa’s Grotto” part of the forum for Christmas-themed threads…

Blog Entries

Re: Christmas cards

Christmas cards bore me senseless.

Every year i say to people, DONT SEND ME A CARD CAUSE IM NOT DOING EM THIS YEAR, every year people ingnore me in work and i end up with loads so i feel guilty, go out and buy loads of cards and send em back.

Drives me mad

Then on top of that i have to do my little ones cards for all 30 of his school friends with him, trust me, thats a very painful task.

BORING BORING BORING.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Blimey, Mrs Scrooge we'll call you from now on I reckon.

So would e-cards be better for you Trouble? Maybe you should try it this year, particularly for work colleagues (my colleagues don't generally send them, so it's just real friends and family).

Oh bugger, it's just occurred to me I'll probably be assaulted by thousands of e-cards on Facebook shortly

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    So would e-cards be better for you Trouble? Maybe you should try it this year, particularly for work colleagues (my colleagues don't generally send them, so it's just real friends and family).
    e-cards cost money dont they? Certainly a lot more than a bumper pack of 100 cards for 1.99.

Just kidding.

e-cards would be seen as unacceptable as most people like to feel the ego of "LOOK HOW MANY CARDS IVE GOT HANGING UP IN MY WORKSPACE - ARN'T I THE POPULAR ONE".... which is basically what its all about.

BORING...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Should we send cards at all, bearing in mind the cost to the environment?
    Whats faith got to do with Christmas cards ? Its very hard to get any religious themed cards , I cant remember the last time I sent or received a religious related card. Faith has had nothing to do with it for many years for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Whats faith got to do with Christmas cards ? Its very hard to get any religious themed cards , I cant remember the last time I sent or received a religious related card. Faith has had nothing to do with it for many years for most people.

Despite me being atheist i still give/send xmas cards as i see its polite to give back when i receive a card.

I've decided not to do cards this year. There's a whole spiel about me transferring my uni course which has left me a very poor student indeed. I also think it's a bit of a waste...so you can count me with the bah humbugs (although I love Christmas)

xXx

Every year i say to people, DONT SEND ME A CARD CAUSE IM NOT DOING EM THIS YEAR, every year people ingnore me in work and i end up with loads so i feel guilty, go out and buy loads of cards and send em back.

Drives me mad

Then on top of that i have to do my little ones cards for all 30 of his school friends with him, trust me, thats a very painful task.

BORING BORING BORING.

Oh dear, trouble i dont know what to do about your xmas card now lol!

I'm very environmentally concerned so I do feel it's a waste of resources, but at the same time I *love* everything about Christmas, including cards to/from special people.

I don't work at an office anymore and I only have a small group of close friends, so I only send and receive a few. There is something special to me about handwritten cards with personal messages. E-cards don't really have the same effect at all.

I used to work in an office and the whole office/work cards thing was always a giant waste of time - dozens of cheap cards with no personal message given/received to people you don't really like. Totally pointless.

I do agree with Trouble on this one....

I think the christmas card hype in this country is absolutely crazy!! And I hate all the bloody pre-printed, cheap cards that someone has taken all of five seconds to sign - how personal is that??

In Norway we send christmas cards to friends and family who live far away, and who we don't see every day. These cards are much more personal, and will contain actual hand-written, personal greetings and information! I know, shocking, isn't it!

Over here, like Trouble said, it seems like it's turned into a sort of 'who's got the most cards and aren't I a popular person 'cus I've got more cards than you, you sad bugger' competition. Very sad, and totally pointless.

However - I've to a degree ben sucked into the madness, and do give far more people cards now than what I used to. But I also send e-cards (free and environmentally friendly!).

So, if you read this, and was thinking of giving me a card next time you see me at dancing, don't. Give me a hug instead, (and feel free to send me an e-card if you absolutely must do cards). I'd appreciate that much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    I think the christmas card hype in this country is absolutely crazy!! And I hate all the bloody pre-printed, cheap cards that someone has taken all of five seconds to sign - how personal is that??
    Hey, they added you to their card list .

My option is more "I often buy cards, write them and then never get around to giving them to anyone". As for this year, maybe...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

they're calling your bluff. If you don't want to send them, then don't

e-cards cost money dont they? Certainly a lot more than a bumper pack of 100 cards for 1.99.

BORING...
    do you know what trouble? Your completely right! Iv waste 2 pounds on 2 packs of cards for my so called friends. and half of them forgot to say thankyou!:angry

one even had the nerve to stand on his and instead of smoothing it out and putting it in his bag the little toerag chucks it in the bin!

another so called friend of mine just said "meh" when i gave her my card and tossed it in her bag an did she give me one back? NO!

At least my xmas present list s going to be cheaper now!

Love a very sad and hurt Mini Mac xxx

I like to receive, just don't like to give! Haha, well actually, Christmas cards just bore me in general... but I'm quite happy to take them off your hands should anyone want to give me one

I don't send cards. It's a waste of paper and totally defeats the object, in most cases. They are supposed to be sent to people that you wont be seeing during the Christmas season to wish them a Happy Christmas, so it always makes me laugh when people who I see in the office every day give me a card. Why don't they just wish me a Happy Christmas and bugger off and stop annoying me?

Every year I get loads and loads of cards and every year I never send any out. Why don't these Numpty's get the message?

Humbug...sod it, I'm going back to Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I like to receive, just don't like to give! Haha, well actually, Christmas cards just bore me in general... but I'm quite happy to take them off your hands should anyone want to give me one
    o gr8! so i suppose wen i give you your pressie you won't be giving me one back mr scrooge lol i like giving and recieving but im just your general nice lady hehehehe

e-cards would be seen as unacceptable as most people like to feel the ego of "LOOK HOW MANY CARDS IVE GOT HANGING UP IN MY WORKSPACE - ARN'T I THE POPULAR ONE".... which is basically what its all about.
    Would be quite the opposite in my work - it would be embarrassing for people to have lots of cards up - but then I work in a conservation agency so we are always trying to cut down on use of paper. The majority of our 'from the organisation' cards are e-cards - exceptions being to people who don't have email access.

But aside from all that, what is the point of giving cards to people you see every day? I can see that sometimes it might be easier to hand someone a card than send one, if you are likely to see them before Christmas. But sending one to someone you work with seems a bit pointless.

I do send paper cards and like to receive them, but to people I don't see very often. You can't put an e-card on the mantlepiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    They are supposed to be sent to people that you wont be seeing during the Christmas season to wish them a Happy Christmas, so it always makes me laugh when people who I see in the office every day give me a card.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Humbug...sod it, I'm going back to Spain.
    I'll come with you! I'm sure they will have a nice festive menu and no cards!
    Last edited by Lynn; 10th-December-2007 at 11:13 PM.

I haven't set christmas cards for a few years. What used to happen was I'd buy then, write them, seal them in envelopes, then discover them sitting unsent in a cupboard the following July. Besides, there's enough stuff going into landfill at this time of year, way I see it, christmas cards are just another filler of the big hole in the ground. (can you tell I never got many christmas cards as a kid!!?)

If I want to wish someone a Happy Christmas/Solstice (it depends who they are) I will - via text, or I'll say it to their face. If I particularly care that I give them something (as in the case of family, and 3-4 close friends), I'll find something they aren't going to throw straight in the bin on January 6th.

Thread Information