Thread: Consumer Signs

Consumer Signs

Having just had some w@nk3r (excuse the language am V annoyed) spill coffee over 14 of my shirts (which I will now have to wash & iron, it's only a wee shop) I was wondering if anybody has seen signs for customers that they actually pay attention to.

No money was offered to the damage (a considerable £300) and I also got a mouthful for pointing out that there was a flat counter to which he could have taken his drink/medication, rather than stand around 50 odd shirts and drink there. I was told point blank she wasn't paying for the damage and walked out.

Can anyone give me some polite sounding phrases I can put around my shop to make people aware that they are actually liable for damages.

Thanks.... will calm down soon

Re: Consumer Signs

Quote Originally Posted by jeanag View Post
    Having just had some w@nk3r (excuse the language am V annoyed) spill coffee over 14 of my shirts (which I will now have to wash & iron, it's only a wee shop) I was wondering if anybody has seen signs for customers that they actually pay attention to.

No money was offered to the damage (a considerable £300) and I also got a mouthful for pointing out that there was a flat counter to which he could have taken his drink/medication, rather than stand around 50 odd shirts and drink there. I was told point blank she wasn't paying for the damage and walked out.

Can anyone give me some polite sounding phrases I can put around my shop to make people aware that they are actually liable for damages.

Thanks.... will calm down soon
    Hey. Sorry about your difficulty.

I wanted to ask - have I misunderstood or did the offender change gender in consecutive sentences?

The law on damage to goods is not as clear (in England) as shopkeepers believe it is. However, spilling coffee on merchandise would probably constitute damage caused by negligence. If you have a shop containing goods which you are inviting people to examine themselves, the law says that it isn't their fault if damage occurs. Suppose, for example, somebody in a bookshop was examining a computer book - say something costing £40. Someone bumps into them and they drop the book and the CD-ROM (in an envelope in the back cover) is broken. The shopkeeper has no right of remedy against either of the customers. Or someone with oily hands leaves stains on a silk blouse.

Shops were not always self service, remember; the accepted view when they all started to stampede in that direction is that the additional risks being run by the shopkeeper were something he or she had to accept as the downside of the lower overheads. It's always open to have a dozen assistants so that clothes can be individually presented to the customer.

But if someone is ignoring 'No eating and drinking' signs and this causes damage to goods which would not otherwise have occurred had they simply been examining them

In practice, all you can do is put a notice on the door and say 'food and drink not permitted inside', and then ask people to go out and finish their food if they come in the shop eating or drinking.

You can't make a citizens' arrest (in England) because no arrestable offence has been committed, so you cannot detain customers against their consent, and even if you could the time and effort involved in claiming against them for a few tens of £s worth of damage is out of proportion. The general view of lawyers and courts would be that this sort of thing is best dealt with by taking out appropriate insurance.

Re: Consumer Signs

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Hey. Sorry about your difficulty.

I wanted to ask - have I misunderstood or did the offender change gender in consecutive sentences?
    No, sorry. The spiller was a man, who then proceeded to walk out leavng his wife giving me verbal abuse. There's only so much rudeness I'll take. An apology would've helped... It wasn't a good day yesterday.
    Not sure of the law up here for damage, and didn't find any relating to inside the shop, mostly found if damaged after purchase. Oh well, I've made bigger signs - does anybody have a translation dictionary for ignorant people.....

Thread Information