Thread: NHS database opt-out

NHS database opt-out

Following last week's discussion on data security, this information from the NHS Confidentiality campaign makes interesting reading: The Big Opt Out » About the campaign

Re: NHS database opt-out

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    Following last week's discussion on data security, this information from the NHS Confidentiality campaign makes interesting reading: The Big Opt Out » About the campaign
    You will no longer be able to attend any Sexual Health or GUM (Genito-Urinary Medicine) Clinic anonymously as all these details will also be held on this national database
    What's to stop you going in and saying my name's Mary Smith and I'd like an appointment? Do you need to provide your NHS number to these clinics now like you do when registering with a GP?

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    What's to stop you going in and saying my name's Mary Smith and I'd like an appointment? Do you need to provide your NHS number to these clinics now like you do when registering with a GP?
    I don't know if you could do that, but I know it will put a lot of people off going for a check up if they know it will be public knowledge, which can only make sexual health problems worse in general.

I dunno what the stigma is about sexual Health Clinics. If you are sexually active and not in a stable relationship, surely it's sensible to have regular check ups?

I'd be more suspicious of a potential partner if they had never been for a check up.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I don't know if you could do that, but I know it will put a lot of people off going for a check up if they know it will be public knowledge, which can only make sexual health problems worse in general..
    This reminds me of when I filled out my first life insurance form for my mortgage which asked if I had ever been tested for AIDS or HIV. My friend told me that everyone she knew simply went down to the local Give Blood wagon handed over a pint of their finest red stuff and got a test done that way ... whilst doing their bit for the blood banks.

No official "I had to get an AIDS test done"

Thread Information