Thread: Moving to Somerset!

Moving to Somerset!

There is a chance that I'll be making the move to Somerset next year from Middlesbrough, can anyone suggest any nice villages to live and most importantly good dancing venues so I can suss it all out before I get there.
    I've never been to Somerset except into Weston for the dancing and then I just stayed in the Winter Gardens.
    I'm a bit excited and yet a little scared

BeccaB x

Re: Moving to Somerset!

It's a big county! Are you going to be working anywhere so we can narrow down the search a bit. If you want to be near Taunton then Bishops Lydyard is a lovely village but there are hundreds of others.

From my limited knowledge, Gary Marsden runs classes in Taunton & Bridgwater. There are classes in Yeovil as well - I found this link but know nothing about them; I do know Russell Payne and he also runs a class and excellent monthly freestyles in Yeovil.

There are loads of other options - but you need to narrow the search down a bit. Living in the West Country is brilliant; be more excited than scared because you'll love it!

Yup near the power station so Taunton would be about right or towards Minehead.
    Are any wcs venues going there? Other than the big one in April and regular classes?

That area around the Quantock Hills is beautiful. Bishops Lydeard is a lovely village - I lived there for 9 years and still have family there (so I'm not too biased, honest!! )

Minehead is also nice, as are most places in that area.

I can't really speak for the dancing as I moved away 11 years ago, before I started MJ/salsa or anything else like that. I have been to a class in Taunton when I was back visiting folk and have to confess it fell way short of Franck and Sheena's standard up here. However, hopefully that is not representative of all classes down that way. I just searched for modern jive in that area on the Internet.

My biggest recommendation would be to take some time to visit and have a look around the area. Taunton, Minehead or Bridgwater would be good places to base yourself. A lot will depend on what you want from a place to live - whether you want the nightlife (stay away from the wee villages) or a greater sense of community? Facilities on your doorstep, or a nice view from the window? On the coast, or inland?

Hope you enjoy working at Hinckley Point (as I assume that must be where you're headed?)

Feel free to PM me if you want more info...

Thanks Nessiemonster.

I'd like to take some time to visit but haven't got much time to do that either, everythings kind of going a bit quick. I didn't want to go to Bridgwater as I've been there and wasn't too keen on the place. Minehead and Taunton area are appealing to me Minehead is on the coast right? I'm not fussed on night life at all, nice window view, and don't really mind on what state the house is in, electricity and running water are essentials obviously but I don't mind having to rip things out and make it pretty.
    Oh the decisions to be made, and I won''t know for sure till friday or maybe later! Crazy stuff it is!

BeccaB

I grew up an a small Somerset village called Shapwick. I'd highly recommend you go and take a look at it as it is very beautiful.

It is also in easy reach of plenty of dancing!!!

This house buying malarky is not fun at all! Looks like I'll have to find somewhere to rent unless any new build are popping up with fantastic offers for first time buyers with no money!

Quote Originally Posted by BeccaB View Post
    Are any wcs venues going there? Other than the big one in April and regular classes?
    There is WCS at the Exeter Corn Exchange on a Monday night and we recently had Graham Fox down for the weekend to teach a WCS workshop in Exeter.

Gary's classes in Taunton are excellent (I used to go regularly - what a friendly bunch!) as are the Exeter classes. The Westlands freestyles in Yeovil are superb too. Also, Taunton is not too far from Bristol, with plenty of choice. Or come visit us in Bath.

If you are living within striking range of Taunton, then you could consider the Quantocks area. Check out Nether Stowey as well - what a gorgeous little place. Nether Stowey - Quantock Hills, Somerset

HTH

Nick

Thread Information