• Fri 7th - Engine Shed at Wetherby

1 3.03%
  • Fri 7th LeRoc - Christmas Friday Freestyle F P Dorking

1 3.03%
  • Sat 8th Twyford... Ceroc TV

16 48.48%
  • Sat 8th Dec - Ceroc Glasgow Christmas Party

7 21.21%
  • Sat 8th - Worthing (Ryan Francois and Jenny Thomas Lindy teachers)

2 6.06%
  • Sat 8th - Mojive Southampton Christmas Ball - £21.00

2 6.06%
  • Sunday 9th - Christmas Tango and Tea, Canterbury

0 0%
  • Sat 8th - Tango at Corrientes (for DJ)

0 0%
  • Sun 9th - Berko

2 6.06%
  • Fri 7th - Ceroc Biggleswade

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Whats on, on the 7/8/9th Dec?

Re: Whats on, on the 7/8/9th Dec?

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    The average joe punter at St Albans is at best just going into intermediate level and they are unable to keep up with the level being taught so it becomes a big old heap of frustration.

The teacher needs to stop rubbing his ego and bring it down a notch.
    the problem with any form of teaching is if you direct the whole class at one level then anyone at a higher or lower level gets bored and will leave.

there are a lot of improver/intermediates at chelmsford so the second class has two or three improver moves with the other one or two intermediate/advanced this stretches the whole class.
    So at some point the improvers and the intermediates get something out of it. ok so the improvers dont get the intermediate moves straight away but they do get a taste

This is only on the class nights on our freestyle nights its pure freestyle

also anyone who doesnt get the moves can always talk to any of the taxi dancers or teachers afterwards and get help. As it happens any of the punters would be only too pleased to help if someone didn't get the moves we tend not to have dance snobs there which makes for a really friendly atmosphere
    as i have said before we were all beginners once and the more people who get the moves the more future dance partners for me

Smile Re: Whats on, on the 7/8/9th Dec?

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Mr Darcy - <swoon> - best dances of the nite as usual. Thank you.
    I'm blushing now..

I'd rep you but apparantly I haven't been spreading it around enough

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I'm hurt!
    dont worry Lory, this woman had red hair not your beautiful blonde heeehe

- actually, I think Refuse Girl ( ) was your mate, so I blame you

thanks mate lol!

my mate? you dont mean elly do you? or one of those two teens i hang out with?

if it was elly i will speak to her, its not like her to turn down a dance!

Ref St Albans...We are going over the same old sh1t once again.

If the Teacher is now in fact stressing that the advanced class is for experienced dancers...Then good on him.

When Trouble and I did the Advanced class there were people in it who had struggled in the beginners class.

Where are the Taxi dancers to tell these people that a few more months in beginners and intermediate is what they require.

The teaching is IMHO one of the best in the area, but the punters have NO floorcraft and clog up the advanced lessons because they have not been dancing long enough to do the advanced lessons.

St Albans will drown in its own popularity please try to manage the advanced classes better.

XXX XXX DTS Dave
    Last edited by dave the scaffolder; 11th-December-2007 at 04:33 PM. Reason: why not

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    I do understand in a way what you mean BUT!! they have paid for their entry as well and dancing is about having fun we were all beginners once.
    Yes they have paid their money and they should get a good service which includes Taxi dancers saying to them, this lesson will be too hard for you so stick with easier lessons for a bit longer yet.

We also have paid our money and want hard lessons for people who are capable of handling them, not someone who has trouble offering the correct hand and has no idea about floorcraft.

Trouble and I was in an intermediate lesson when a young fella said to Michele I havent danced with you yet? Why not?

They had a dance and he was dreadful, been dancing for a short while and was doing intermediates well out of his ability level.

XXX XX DTS Dave
    Last edited by dave the scaffolder; 11th-December-2007 at 04:45 PM.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I haven't actually done the class myself but I've watched and yes, he teaches it as breakneck speed, for which I applaud him. Why should he wait/slowdown/dumb down the lesson for those who never 'get it', they are the ones who're clearly in the wrong!!
    The other thing, is that in order to fit in 3 classes, he has to go quickly. Otherwise people like me will whinge that it's eating into our freestyle time. As it is, the class should finish around 9:30pm, but it's more like 9:45pm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Mac View Post
    my mate? you dont mean elly do you?
    I dunno, all you humans look alike to me. It's not like I'm permanently emotionally scarred or anything. Well, no more than normal...

I did dance with someone called Elly, later, so it probably wasn't her, unless there was a job lot of Ellys there that night.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Ref St Albans...We are going over the same old sh1t once again.

If the Teacher is now in fact stressing that the advanced class is for experienced dancers...Then good on him.

When Trouble and I did the Advanced class there were people in it who had struggled in the beginners class.

Where are the Taxi dancers to tell these people that a few more months in beginners and intermediate is what they require.

The teaching is IMHO one of the best in the area, but the punters have NO floorcraft and clog up the advanced lessons because they have not been dancing long enough to do the advanced lessons.

St Albans will drown in its own popularity please try to manage the advanced classes better.

XXX XXX DTS Dave
    i agree completely. But the last time i went to st albans dave, i had a beginner dance with me and he said he had been dancing a week.

a week?

and he could barely manage the beginners class, bless him

did he decide to go in the other room with the taxi dancers?

no! he thought he could manage the intermediate class.

6 of the men i changed with couldn't do the class

on the 7th the one i saw had been dancing a week, i gave up and dropped out

i think i wil stick to having a fixed partner if i could find one.

however i dont think i will be going to st albans religously like i used to.

i'm going to peterborough tonight to support my dad djing

marc forsters teaching and i thoroughly enjoyed his class at berko the other night

not too hard but not too easy!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I dunno, all you humans look alike to me. It's not like I'm permanently emotionally scarred or anything. Well, no more than normal...

I did dance with someone called Elly, later, so it probably wasn't her, unless there was a job lot of Ellys there that night.
    nope theres only one elly lol you cant miss her, small wiggly little thing likes her blues!

lol i thought youd say something along the lines of us humans looking alike dj lol!

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Yes they have paid their money and they should get a good service which includes Taxi dancers saying to them, this lesson will be too hard for you so stick with easier lessons for a bit longer yet.

We also have paid our money and want hard lessons for people who are capable of handling them, not someone who has trouble offering the correct hand and has no idea about floorcraft.

precisely my point i want to learn how to follow harder moves and enjoy them, i cant enjoy standing there with someone who is saying bear with me, bear with me while he figures out which hand to offer!
    Last edited by Lory; 11th-December-2007 at 05:30 PM. Reason: fixed quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Mac View Post
    precisely my point i want to learn how to follow harder moves and enjoy them, i cant enjoy standing there with someone who is saying bear with me, bear with me while he figures out which hand to offer!
    That made me laugh but are you being fair to newbies? They have to learn somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    That made me laugh but are you being fair to newbies? They have to learn somehow.
    yes but generally not in their first week should they be doing an intermediate class its too advanced!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

... ok so the improvers dont get the intermediate moves straight away but they do get a taste
    Yes but at who's expense?

When the class is aimed at a higher level and is advertised as so, I don't think its fair on the other people in the class to hold them back!

also anyone who doesn't get the moves can always talk to any of the taxi dancers or teachers afterwards and get help.
    The class I'm talking about is advanced, therefore, its people like Taxi dancers, that will probably benefit!

we tend not to have dance snobs there which makes for a really friendly atmosphere
    Its got nothing to do with snobbery!
    Ceroc has long been criticised for only teaching to a certain level and I think its great that CerocMetro is trying to address this.
    Every class in the whole of the UK starts with a beginner lesson. Its not as though beginners are being ignored or the service they're getting is being compromised. This class is in addition to the others!
    IMO the lesson isn't perfect, as it more 'move' orientated than I'd like for an advanced lesson but its a great step in the right direction AFAIC!

as I have said before we were all beginners once and the more people who get the moves the more future dance partners for me
    Yes and hopefully, one day, they'll reach a level where they'll appreciate having an advanced class provided for them!
    Last edited by Lory; 11th-December-2007 at 06:09 PM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Ooh, I missed this one in all the excitement...
    we tend not to have dance snobs there which makes for a really friendly atmosphere
    God, I'd so love to find a venue which had proper dance snobs - I've never found one yet

All I've found so far is venues full of bloody-intermediates who think they're God's gift, but who couldn't tell you what their axis was if they fell on it.

So, if anyone knows any venues with some actual dance snobs, please let me know, I'd be there in a shot.

On the St Albans class - come on, it's not an advanced class, it's a class with some intermediate moves in, let's not get OTT on this one. No regular MJ venue runs advanced classes that I know of, certainly none AFAIK in the London area. There's no real market for it.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    On the St Albans class - come on, it's not an advanced class, it's a class with some intermediate moves in, let's not get OTT on this one.
    Hey, let's not get picky now it's a class aimed at the more advanced/experienced dancer, who has the ability to pick up new and fairly complex moves at a fast pace, OK?

Basically, yes, its just a normal class condensed into a shorter time frame but great for those who want to add a couple of new moves to their repertoire, without wasting time waiting for the other, less competent people to catch up all the time!

As I said before, no, its not technique focused but even so, you do need to be reasonably experienced to keep up with the class.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Yes but at who's expense?

When the class is aimed at a higher level and is advertised as so, I don't think its fair on the other people in the class to hold them back!

But as the people i quoted mentioned intermediate not advanced that is what i was referring to.
    unfortunately very few classes advertise improver lessons Ceroc say that the beginners review class is for people who have been dancing six wks or less so that is normally announced at the end of the beginners class and the beginners think that they are stupid if they want to stay in the review class longer

I couldn't agree more with you that the taxi dancers and teacher should give great emphasis that the advanced class is for intermediate and advanced dancers only and not suitable for beginners or improvers

Blog Entries

Hey, let's not get picky now it's a class aimed at the more advanced/experienced dancer, who has the ability to pick up new and fairly complex moves at a fast pace, OK?
    Do they actually say anything like that in the class? I don't remember, and I've only been there a few times, so I could have missed it.

Thread Information