Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you tell someone they SMELL!

Re: How do you tell someone they SMELL!

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    If someone told me i was smelly i would take it as a favour
    My problem is i sweat profusely so i always take at least two shirts a towel and plenty of antiperspirant with me when i am dancing

now you have all us guys hoping we dont smell and that people are trying to be nice by not telling us
    Generally if your skin is clean to start with, fresh sweat doesn't smell bad (even if you sweat a lot) - it's only after time that the bacteria start to whiff.

The volume/amount of sweat doesn't make much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    If someone told me i was smelly i would take it as a favour

I HAVE to rely on others to tell me if I smell. I have no option in the matter. I'm pretty sure I don't smell as I have a good cleanliness regime.

But I'd rather know than not.. so If I did smell then I'd rely on my friends to tell me.

Although I would prefer being told with a little tact...

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970;
    433252Although I would prefer being told with a little tact...
    Yeah, thats fair enough, but what if you have been told countless times and your answer is "well...I've never been refused a dance".

How ignorant is that? Let's face it, someone with that level of numptyness needs putting straight. Tact doesn't come into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Yeah, thats fair enough, but what if you have been told countless times and your answer is "well...I've never been refused a dance".

How ignorant is that? Let's face it, someone with that level of numptyness needs putting straight. Tact doesn't come into it.
    If you know somebody has been told lots of times that they have a problem with hygiene I think the only way to resolve the problem is to go to the organisers.

The organisers should then tell the person that if they don't sort things out they will be refused entry

I am generally tolerant of smells but there is one or two that a supposed to be pleasant that really hit me.

There is some brand of hairspray that makes be gag.

That shop called "LUSH" creates a miasma around its doors that is very offensive to me. There is one on Victoria stn London that I hold my breath to pass.

Certain perfumes are repelling rather than alluring.

Then there those "smelly birds" who I tolerate in the class and never ask afterward.

Zuhal
    Last edited by Zuhal; 28th-November-2007 at 01:50 PM. Reason: sp error

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Shark View Post
    No-one can say it better than DT
    Luckily I was always clean and sweet smelling anyway, but with DT around, there's no danger of me ever lapsing!

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Luckily I was always clean and sweet smelling
    Actually, the first time we met, you were wearing your old army uniform for a bet and you stank to high heaven of damp old clothes that had been dumped in the back of your car for years....and I told you straight away that you stank, as I recall.

Luckily for you, it was just the clothes and when you changed shortly after the 'old army uniform' smell was gone.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I did tell someone they smelt, but they were a good friend and took it well. In fact were grateful as they had no idea.
    Me too but then again, its much easier if they're 'good' friend, as they understsand and appreciate that your motives are well meant!

I have agreements with certain dance friends that if we smell we would tell each other.
    Yes, I seem to remember a thread on here where we inlisted 'BO buddies'

I have a few! And its so much easier once you've made that agreement. Not that I can recall ever feeling the need to say anything to any of them

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    bad breath is what I think he suffers from -One lady described the smell as rotten cabbages!!
    18 months ago, a male nicknamed "Mr Urine"
    I think the above are 'much harder' to address

There's a guy I know who's breath always smells of fish.. I think he must live on Smoked Salmon and it smells putrid, I can't bare to look him in the face.

But its taught me.. never to eat smoked salmon before dancing
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator Swinging bee's Avatar

Stand beside him and ask him if he is wearing zoo keepers boots cos there is a smell....

Commercial Operator

Luckily for you, it was just the clothes and once I'd got you out them the 'old army uniform' smell was gone.

hmmm theyres a girl in my history class who constantly stinks of B.O i can hardly pass her some spray during class because our dragon of a teacher Mrs Ryden (The Ryden!) hates us using them, so when i have p.e i always make sure i take sum spray with me and offer it rund to the other girls, not because they smell, simply because they like to smell nice, that way the girl never feels singled out and she leaves the aerobics room smelling sweet! Sometimes they may smell so awful that u cnt bear it but u hav 2 ignore it. Today in drama club me and the girl from my history class had to teach the year sevens and she stank so much but i just smiled and carried on talking, shel soon realise she smells but im not going to be the one to tell her the absolute truth, il drop hints just stuff like i did in p.e, she dosnt always get the message but im sure she will soon

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    How dare you.

Me and Gav were courting for 3 months before we got naked together.

That my friend, is a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Luckily I was always clean and sweet smelling anyway, but with DT around, there's no danger of me ever lapsing!
    Erm was???

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    ........Now bad breath is what I think he suffers from but yet he eats neither curries/spices foods. One lady described the smell as rotten cabbages!!!
    I know this guy - wont reveal his name - comes regularly to Dorking and often dances in the Kent venues. Lovely chap and a nice dancer - but I avoid him as much as I can, his breath is soooooooooo bad, I feel like gagging, and try not to breath in when close to him

I mentioned this to one of his very good friends, who said I dont have a problem with him, but there again I dont have a very good sense of smell

His problem could be dental, it is not his diet as it always the same very bad smell

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Shark View Post
    Erm was???
    Yeah, I'm all dirty and stinky now.

It's time to tell him straight and not worry about being offensive. Something along the lines of "You smell like a pigs arse and it wouldn't hurt you to have a shower now and then and spray your pits with deoderant. Now plss off and don't ask me to dance again until you have been scrubbed to within an inch of your life you foul smelling disgusting animal".

That should do the trick.

You cracked me up!! Can you come to Nottingham please and sort one of the guys out there? He is lovely though ..bless him ...but he doesn't half pong

Quote Originally Posted by Zuhal View Post
    I am generally tolerant of smells but there is one or two that a supposed to be pleasant that really hit me.

There is some brand of hairspray that makes be gag.

That shop called "LUSH" creates a miasma around its doors that is very offensive to me. There is one on Victoria stn London that I hold my breath to pass.

Certain perfumes are repelling rather than alluring.

Then there those "smelly birds" who I tolerate in the class and never ask afterward.

Zuhal
    ^ I agree - some women really stink as though they've bathed in "old-lady" perfume rather than a dab or light spray. Do we also tell these women (and men with the overpowering aftershave) that they reek as well? some of those awful perfumes are head-ache creating stuff... *shivers at the thought*

Overall I guess you could ask the organisers to make a general announcement/reminder to everyone to be mindful of their general hygiene (including bad breath). Maybe some mints left in a general area for people to help themselves to might help? That way no one is singled out, but everyone knows they're accountable. In Australia there used to be a venue that left deodorant sprays near the front door for those who might want to use them (a subtle hint). As well people were encouraged to bring a spare shirt along (usually the guys do this) so that they can change out of sweaty clothing. Maybe this is more an issue here where it can get really hot.

But if the guy that was in the original example is in denial, then ask the organiser to have a word with him.

After a while when he notices that people won't dance with him he might get the "hint"

I regularly tell Tiger Pants how he smells - it's only fair to be honest. He changes his aftershave weekly and then tells me what he's got on. Apparently tonight was Hi Karate...much prefer the Old Spice. (take note TP for next week)

Likewise if somebody was really offensive in the body odour it's only fair to be polite and honest about it. Some of my close friends I could be rood but funny about it, while others have to be given the deodrant and told 'use it - please!'

Commercial Operator

How dare you.

That my friend, is a fact.
    Did I say how long it took you to get him out of his uniform - I'm sure it was really whiffy after 3 months

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's an excellently ambiguous statement - I'm impressed

Thread Information