Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you tell someone they SMELL!

Commercial Operator

How do you tell someone they SMELL!

Tonight it was discovered one man is attracting a lots of bad attention, his smell. He doesnt think he has a problem, says hes never been refused a dance, but hes seen girls walking away quickly. Here is guy who thinks he doesnt have a problem, how many do you know?

Re: How do you tell someone they SMELL!

Are you asking how many people know him - the smelly offender - or how many other people like this do we know in dancing/work/socially?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by jeanag View Post
    Are you asking how many people know him - the smelly offender - or how many other people like this do we know in dancing/work/socially?
    How do you tell someone they smell, what tackful words would you use. Its seems ladies are scared (understandable)to tell men generally, so they never know and maybe not aware.
    As washing hands after going to the toilets its generally accepted women are just as bad as men?? or are they?

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Ask Double Trouble to do it for you. I did tell someone they smelt, but they were a good friend and took it well. In fact were grateful as they had no idea. I didn't find it easy to do, as you do risk the person flouncing off and never speaking to you again. I have agreements with certain dance friends that if we smell we would tell each other.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Ask Double Trouble to do it for you. I did tell someone they smelt, but they were a good friend and took it well. In fact were grateful as they had no idea. I didn't find it easy to do, as you do risk the person flouncing off and never speaking to you again. I have agreements with certain dance friends that if we smell we would tell each other.
    As an organiser I take reports of BO seriously. However, being whiffy on a single occasion is not, IMHO, enough to need remedial action - they could have simply chosen the wrong shirt from their dance bag or something: whiffy, but not a chronic problem that needs solving.

However, if somebody is a bit whiffy on two occasions I always have a word in their ear. My rules are the same ones as you'd use in management. Do it in private, signpost the bad news with something like "I've got something to tell you that I think you won't like" and finally, look for opportunities to praise - "you're a popular dancer", "the women really like the way you're so friendly and dance with everyone", etc. When you tell them they've got BO you do need to be direct. Don't torture them by hinting or trying to get them to guess, they won't guess. Say something like "you've got BO, I'm not going to tell you what to do about it, you're a grown-up and I'm sure you'll sort it out yourself now that you know". I've done this a few times and guys have always been grateful - even the two guys I've had to tell twice

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    He doesnt think he has a problem, says hes never been refused a dance,
    Ask Double Trouble to do it for you.
    Some people just don't get 'subtle'. He says he doesn't have a problem, so he is aware that others think he does, but he is in denial or just doesn't care.

It's time to tell him straight and not worry about being offensive. Something along the lines of "You smell like a pigs arse and it wouldn't hurt you to have a shower now and then and spray your pits with deoderant. Now plss off and don't ask me to dance again until you have been scrubbed to within an inch of your life you foul smelling disgusting animal".

That should do the trick.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

I think you should get a byline DT. - Odour Obliterator

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    It's time to tell him straight and not worry about being offensive. Something along the lines of "You smell like a pigs arse and it wouldn't hurt you to have a shower now and then and spray your pits with deoderant. Now plss off and don't ask me to dance again until you have been scrubbed to within an inch of your life you foul smelling disgusting animal".

Would you then run or duck out of the way?

Some people just don't get 'subtle'. He says he doesn't have a problem, so he is aware that others think he does, but he is in denial or just doesn't care.

If someone told me i was smelly i would take it as a favour
    I guess the ones that dont would have no personal hygiene standards anyway
    My problem is i sweat profusely so i always take at least two shirts a towel and plenty of antiperspirant with me when i am dancing

now you have all us guys hoping we dont smell and that people are trying to be nice by not telling us

This thread reminds me of the time a really smelly woman came to me in the lines during a lesson took her shoe off wiped the inside with her hand then proceeded to offer the said hand to me Yuk

Would you then run or duck out of the way?
    No. I'd point at him and shout loudly across the dance floor "do not dance with this man....he smells like the devils armpit".

No. I'd point at him and shout loudly across the dance floor "do not dance with this man....he smells like the devils armpit".

Commercial Operator

Tonight it was discovered one man is attracting a lots of bad attention, his smell. He doesnt think he has a problem, says hes never been refused a dance, but hes seen girls walking away quickly. Here is guy who thinks he doesnt have a problem, how many do you know?
    Out of interest, what does he smell of? Are we talking stale sweat here, or something ... else?

Commercial Operator

I did have words with him after 3 ladies asked me too but when he wanted to know the women who were complaining, I refused to tell him for their protection, because they always want to to hit back. What was interesting as I was talking to him, a bloke walked behind pinching his nose so this dancer has a problem. Now bad breath is what I think he suffers from but yet he eats neither curries/spices foods. One lady described the smell as rotten cabbages!!
    18 months ago, a male nicknamed "Mr Urine" from Brighton was asked after 4 times of not sorting his act out to stay away. Everyone knew he was in the building!! His problem seems to come from eating curried food six days a week and it obviously had a reaction on him. Girls ran a mile!!

Now bad breath is what I think he suffers from but yet he eats neither curries/spices foods. One lady described the smell as rotten cabbages!!
    He may have gum disease. I'd advise him to have a dental check up. You may solve his problem and ultimately save his life. Poor dental hygiene could result in a heart attack.

See section three of this report

Dental Cleanings - Reasons to Have a Dental Cleaning

Commercial Operator

What would I do if I had somebody coming to my venues who was smelly, knew he was and wasn't prepared to do something about it? I'd ask them not to come back until they'd sorted it out

One of my friends who'd been in business for years once told me "you can't sack somebody bad too soon". I apply this to my dance business. If somebody is upsetting my customers I ask them to stop what they're doing that's upsetting the other customers. If they aren't prepared to stop what they're doing I don't need them as a customer and ask them to stop coming. So far I've only asked a few pervy guys and a guy who was behaving agressively to stop coming.

Commercial Operator

18 months ago, a male nicknamed "Mr Urine" from Brighton was asked after 4 times of not sorting his act out to stay away. Everyone knew he was in the building!! His problem seems to come from eating curried food six days a week and it obviously had a reaction on him. Girls ran a mile!!
    I wonder who that was? I don't think he comes to our classes :phew:

One of the things I've realised as an organiser is that you really do need to offer people a pleasant night out. Women shouldn't be expected to make allowances for smelly guys, grippy guys, stroppy guys, pervy guys, etc. All we can do as organisers is ask guys to change what they're doing. And, if they don't do what we've asked we've got no option but to ask them to stop coming. Having said that, we have a guy who used to cause at least one complaint a month, he's a bit bossy with the women in the lesson and talks too loud while I'm teaching from the stage. I was on the brink of banning him and had a chat with a few of the more experienced ladies to get their opinion while I was thinking about it. One of the ladies said that the guy was obviously deaf or very hard of hearing - this explained it all! I've told this to women when they've complained and they've always been really nice to him afterwards. I think they're now telling each other as I haven't had a complaint about him for ages.

My advice with this smelly guy is to tell him to sort it out and come back when he has done so - and please don't tell him where my classes are

"You smell"

Sorted.

I have a Woman giving me the same problem, she's been coming 3 or 4 times now and until this week I thought was just faintly smelly, but i couldnt stand next to her this week, she absolutely hummed to the point of making me gip!

She danced with her friend all night (another woman) so i avoided the issue to think about what to do.

My point?

This post and link has really helped my decision making to do something about it.
    Thanks to The Forum and everyone here Its great to have somewhere to share veiws and opinions on such a wide variety of (mostly) dance related issues; and from most of you (all? - lol) i dont think I've met.... hopefully one day...

So just wanted to say "Thanks guys" *group hug*

I don't whether its meant to be funny but i think it is!!

No-one can say it better than DT

Thread Information