3 8.33%
  • not going this time

14 38.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Blackpool competition 2008

B.T.C.

Re: Blackpool competition 2008

Just wanyed to add my congratulations to all the competitors from the competition and to say that there were soem really incredible performances. And I agree with almost all the decisions !!!

I'd also like to thank Linz for another wonderful job and another 1st place in the team section. Kind of lost track of how many times she's won in Blackpool, Brighton and elsewhere but I think there's no doubt that the young woman has now proved she really is one of the best choreographers around.

I've been honoured to be in the last few teams and as that may well be my farewell performance I was delighted that we won. I will be in Blackpool next year - but probably just to watch!

Blog Entries

Quick word from a slightly different perspective. I have been to Blackpool a few times and have always enjoyed the day. I don't feel a pull to compete or a great compulsion to be overly luvvy with competitors but I have great respect for those who get out there and go for it. Most of all I just love watching people dance. So if there's anyone out there ever swithering about going because they really just want to watch and might think it's all a big too much for that - here's a vote for "just do it". It has always been a Grand Day Out for me. There are lots of seats around the floor and a super view from the balconies upstairs too. The bar and food staff were all polite and helpful, the bar and food prices aren't silly, the loos had paper etc.
    Could Tony and gang maybe say on this thread if there are usually non-competing tickets available on the day incase the likes of a Mr and Mrs Ramsbottom might be passing with and want cheering up after losing their son?

And lastly a thanks to them all for putting the day on so well, as I say, from someone who just enjoys a Grand Day Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
    Quick word from a slightly different perspective. I have been to Blackpool a few times and have always enjoyed the day. I don't feel a pull to compete or a great compulsion to be overly luvvy with competitors but I have great respect for those who get out there and go for it. Most of all I just love watching people dance. So if there's anyone out there ever swithering about going because they really just want to watch and might think it's all a big too much for that - here's a vote for "just do it". It has always been a Grand Day Out for me. There are lots of seats around the floor and a super view from the balconies upstairs too. The bar and food staff were all polite and helpful, the bar and food prices aren't silly, the loos had paper etc.
    Could Tony and gang maybe say on this thread if there are usually non-competing tickets available on the day incase the likes of a Mr and Mrs Ramsbottom might be passing with and want cheering up after losing their son?

And lastly a thanks to them all for putting the day on so well, as I say, from someone who just enjoys a Grand Day Out.

Thank you for that Chicklet

Yes there are always tickets available on the door, especially for Mr and Mrs Ramsbottom Having just lost their son Albert ( I believe your reffering to this poem Albert and the Lion by Marriott Edgar)

There is a little added on the day per ticket, however for " sod it let's do it" they will be able to get in, unless we do (fingers crossed) manage to sell all 2500 seats.

Look for ward to seeing you next year.

Tony

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TonyC2D View Post
    especially for Mr and Mrs Ramsbottom Having just lost their son Albert ( I believe your reffering to this poem Albert and the Lion by Marriott Edgar)
    My party piece from the age of about seven. (with proper Stretford accent too )

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post

Just wanted to let everyone know that you can now view the official Blackpool 2008 achance 2dance photos (taken by Beytan), by viewing this website address:

Blackpool 2008 Jive Competiton

There will also be a link from the chance to dance website soon so that you can view from there.

Also whilst here I would like to thank Simon for helping me reach the Masters final - what an experience that was!!! Big congratulations to the gorgeous and soooo talented Phil and Yuko, can't wait to watch you on the dvd seeing as you were in every round with us.

Carol
    xx
    Last edited by Latin Lady; 23rd-March-2008 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Latin Lady View Post
    Just wanted to let everyone know that you can now view the official Blackpool 2008 achance 2dance photos (taken by Beytan), by viewing this website address:

There will also be a link from the chance to dance website soon so that you can view from there.
    Thank you Carol - these are great. I'll put my order in soon lovely to have a photo to remember the day.

Also, I think the marks that were annouced on the day have been put up on the website now if anyone is interested .....
    Last edited by ducasi; 23rd-March-2008 at 10:33 PM. Reason: fixed quote

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anita View Post
    Also, I think the marks that were annouced on the day have been put up on the website now if anyone is interested .....
    Here's the link for them...
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by Anita View Post
    Wow ... some interesting scores! Is it just me but the spread of scores in the Advanced is a bit disconcerting. Was the difference in performance that great? I don't think I've seen a 33 point gap from 1st to 3rd before.

It would have been good for C2D to do what they used to and show the scores of ALL the finalists ... that would be really good for those who didn't get place and give the spectators a better view of the range of scoring. Really interested in the placings for Masters and Team cabaret.

The Oracle

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Wow ... some interesting scores! Is it just me but the spread of scores in the Advanced is a bit disconcerting. Was the difference in performance that great? I don't think I've seen a 33 point gap from 1st to 3rd before.
    In the heats at Blackpool we award marks for 4 criteria - these were the usual Content, Musicality, Performance and Technique. This is to ensure that each couple is marked on their own merits, and not against the other people in their heat.

In the final we place couples 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. The marks from each judge are derived from these placings (along the lines of 10 marks for 1st, 8 for 2nd, 6 for 3rd etc). The overall result is calculated from the total of these marks. So a big difference in the scores between first and second indicates that a lot of judges placed the couples the same way, rather than there was a big difference in the standard between first and second.

This is a very common way of generating the result from a panel of judges.

Overall I felt virtually all the finals were very close. The Intermediate in particular was one of the closest finals I've ever had to judge, with all 6 couples being of a very similar standard.

(And before anyone asks, I don't have access to any of the marks.)

I would like to know what the scores were for 2nd and 3rd place for the team cabarets - i did get some feedback from Nina and was advised that scores/placings would be on the website but there is just the winning team up??

Em

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Little Em View Post
    I would like to know what the scores were for 2nd and 3rd place for the team cabarets - i did get some feedback from Nina and was advised that scores/placings would be on the website but there is just the winning team up??

Em

What team were you in Em and i will let you know.

I am after Nina's number as when i spoke to her on the day she ask me to call her - does anyone have it please ?

Quote Originally Posted by DD+ View Post
    I am after Nina's number as when i spoke to her on the day she ask me to call her - does anyone have it please ?
    have sent you a PM beautiful

OK .. a little late on in the day ... but my rambling reflections on the event.

Overall Event
    Extremely enjoyable as a spectator. Makes me wonder why people go through all the hassle of competing

Judges
    Awesome line up. Any competition that has the likes of Dave & Lily, Nigel & Nina and Viktor judging must be given due respect ... even if I didn't agree with all the decisions

Music
    Freestyle music was pretty good. Music for competitions, especially the Masters and the Seniors was unbelievably dire. OK, make the music challenging but at least give them something they can dance to! Still puzzled why when its a MJ competition they play tracks so slow you can only WCS to or so fast you have to do Lindy.

Freestyle
    Floor is a little on the small side for the number of dancers. Its a great venue but not that much larger that Stockport Town Hall? Was like mortal combat early on but as the night wore on room opened up. As to be expected at such an event, a plethora of great dancers to enjoy.

Masters
    Daft question ... but wasn't this category supposed to be the Best of the Best? If so ... why were half the competitors without a title to their name?

Eliminations
    My major gripe of the day. OK, I know not many people entered ... but how in the name of Allah can you have an elimination round for both Advanced and Masters ... then calmly announce that EVERYONE got through to the next round.???? Sorry guys, that really caused a few raised eyebrows and sage comments.

Team & Individual Cabaret
    Must admit I'm not normally a fan. Usually use this time to get something to eat. This time, however, at least half the teams were well worth watching with both of Lindsay's teams absolutely superb. Of the individuals, Emma's and Siobhan's stood out ... though I thought Siobhan's should have won ... personal view entirely.

Anyway ... overall, thought it was a cracking event ... but not sure where the new Master's category leaves the 'Advanced' category. I think I know what C2D were trying to do ... but as the Masters dancers are the same as you'll get in the Ceroc Open ... whats the difference? Nice trophy though

The Oracle

Music for competitions, especially the Masters and the Seniors was unbelievably dire. OK, make the music challenging but at least give them something they can dance to! Still puzzled why when its a MJ competition they play tracks so slow you can only WCS to or so fast you have to do Lindy.
    I disagree here. From a judges point of view the music was very good. From memory it was
    • consistent from one heat to the next
    • varied from one round to the next
    • danceable

and as a result fulfills my basic criteria. On top of that I thought some of the individual tracks were both interesting and different, and allowed plenty of expression.

I can't remember any tracks that I felt were too slow or too fast for MJ, or any where the rhythm was too obscure. If you want to guarantee the music you will get, then do Showcase.

The only 'problem' was that the music showed up the shortcomings of many of the dancers. If you want to do well in competitions you have to be able to dance to a wide range of music. There wasn't a beginners division, so why should there be beginners music? There is no law against someone over 45 dancing to funky music. If the slow romantic song being played doesn't suit your big flashy moves, then don't do them. Dance to the music (and I don't just mean 'on time' and 'hit the breaks'!)

Personally I thought the standard of the music was getting close to the best competition music I've heard (Sally's music at Britrock.)

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Latin Lady View Post

Also whilst here I would like to thank Simon for helping me reach the Masters final - what an experience that was!!! Big congratulations to the gorgeous and soooo talented Phil and Yuko, can't wait to watch you on the dvd seeing as you were in every round with us.

Carol
    xx
    There are loads of other couples missing in the pics. Are there any more to be uploaded on his website?

Commercial Operator

Well we do like people to say what they think so we can try to act on it for the following year BUT as you are the only one (so far) with negative comments on the music, how we did the masters rounds etc we wont be changing a thing.
    Oh and tell me who in the masters does not have a title!!!

OK .. a little late on in the day ... but my rambling reflections on the event.

Overall Event
    Extremely enjoyable as a spectator. Makes me wonder why people go through all the hassle of competing

Judges
    Awesome line up. Any competition that has the likes of Dave & Lily, Nigel & Nina and Viktor judging must be given due respect ... even if I didn't agree with all the decisions

Music
    Freestyle music was pretty good. Music for competitions, especially the Masters and the Seniors was unbelievably dire. OK, make the music challenging but at least give them something they can dance to! Still puzzled why when its a MJ competition they play tracks so slow you can only WCS to or so fast you have to do Lindy.

Freestyle
    Floor is a little on the small side for the number of dancers. Its a great venue but not that much larger that Stockport Town Hall? Was like mortal combat early on but as the night wore on room opened up. As to be expected at such an event, a plethora of great dancers to enjoy.

Masters
    Daft question ... but wasn't this category supposed to be the Best of the Best? If so ... why were half the competitors without a title to their name?

Eliminations
    My major gripe of the day. OK, I know not many people entered ... but how in the name of Allah can you have an elimination round for both Advanced and Masters ... then calmly announce that EVERYONE got through to the next round.???? Sorry guys, that really caused a few raised eyebrows and sage comments.

Team & Individual Cabaret
    Must admit I'm not normally a fan. Usually use this time to get something to eat. This time, however, at least half the teams were well worth watching with both of Lindsay's teams absolutely superb. Of the individuals, Emma's and Siobhan's stood out ... though I thought Siobhan's should have won ... personal view entirely.

Anyway ... overall, thought it was a cracking event ... but not sure where the new Master's category leaves the 'Advanced' category. I think I know what C2D were trying to do ... but as the Masters dancers are the same as you'll get in the Ceroc Open ... whats the difference? Nice trophy though

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    There are loads of other couples missing in the pics. Are there any more to be uploaded on his website?

Hi Donna.

I am just waiting for Tony to get back from his hols and i will get the rest of them.

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Achaeco View Post
    Hi Donna.

I am just waiting for Tony to get back from his hols and i will get the rest of them.
    and a truly deserved holiday after that weekend! I'm still in recovery mode!

Ok thats Achaeco. Can't wait to see the rest of them.

Thread Information