3 8.33%
  • not going this time

14 38.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackpool competition 2008

Re: Blackpool competition 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Achaeco View Post
    Please tell, what additional info can i put on the web???
    I have put on the judging critearia, prizes and rules.
    is blank - also blank are friends, just for fun, general contact us, photo album, 2008 info

HTTP 404 error - for crew,

and while I appreciate that it is a labour of love - you shouldn't really need to have us telling you this stuff.... rather than blank menu items - wouldn't it be better to leave them off and add them when the information becomes available

Personally I would rather see a simpler site - with full information and kept up to date - rather than bells and whistles and lacking information

Oh and Weekender page could do with a full address of the hotel

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

i avoided going into any detail and I get accused of slagging it off because i didnt list all the faults These problems are not "hidden" by any stretch of the imagination.

The Forum Legend

scenario......
    A 55 yr old couple enter seniors, they have only been dancin 12 months, they dont get through the first round, they are up against teachers who have previously entered the advanced section. Is this fair?????

A teacher/Advanced dancer should in the opinion of C2D dance against their equal.
    Yes. It's fair....

At least, until you split the categories up.

People in DWAS enter and compete against people who have entered the advanced section.

People in seniors enter and compete against people who are good enough (or quite possibly better) than teachers, simply because those people have chosen not to be teachers. There's nothing that says that a teacher is good enough to win. And, I imagine that there will be people competing in the seniors who will also be in the advanced, just not teachers.

Personally, I have, and always will think that restricting the category people can enter, just because they are teachers, is not the right thing to do. There are lots of teachers who aren't great competition dancers, and lots of great competition dancers who aren't teachers....

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Personally, I have, and always will think that restricting the category people can enter, just because they are teachers, is not the right thing to do. There are lots of teachers who aren't great competition dancers, and lots of great competition dancers who aren't teachers....
    STILL not heard a cogent argument to justify teachers always having to compete in the top category. There are plenty of examples of teachers who failed to get placed just before qualifying even when they were competing in the intermediate section!

Commercial Operator

Yes. It's fair....

At least, until you split the categories up.

People in DWAS enter and compete against people who have entered the advanced section.

People in seniors enter and compete against people who are good enough (or quite possibly better) than teachers, simply because those people have chosen not to be teachers. There's nothing that says that a teacher is good enough to win. And, I imagine that there will be people competing in the seniors who will also be in the advanced, just not teachers.

The words of a teacher......... outwayed by words of none teachers

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    STILL not heard a cogent argument to justify teachers always having to compete in the top category. There are plenty of examples of teachers who failed to get placed just before qualifying even when they were competing in the intermediate section!
    Spoken like an ex-teacher........ still the voice of two does not outway the voice of the none teachers who think it is very fair.

Spoken like an ex-teacher........ still the voice of two does not outway the voice of the none teachers who think it is very fair.
    Of course it wont be outwayed by non-teachers, because the fact is, people think teachers are better dancers than those who aren't teachers.

Competition dancing and teaching are two COMPLETELY different things, fact.

As a non-teacher, I think it's unfair that teachers are excluded from categories that better dancers than them can enter.

I don't think that teachers are automatically better dancers.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    As a non-teacher, I think it's unfair that teachers are excluded from categories that better dancers than them can enter.

I don't think that teachers are automatically better dancers.
    I'm another non-teacher and I agree. The same criteria should apply to teachers as everyone else. They shouldn't be restricted to the top category just because they teach or have taught. After all, not all teachers are at the same level dance-wise.

I've known non-teachers who are much better dancers than some teachers I know (and vice versa, of course).

Perhaps another thread with a poll is called for, Mr. Moderator?

im not a teacher and i think they should be aloud, for christ sake i think it would be an insult if some of the teachers down here could even win the intermeidiate.. how does being a teacher make u a better dancer than some 1 who doesnt teach?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
    im not a teacher and i think they should be aloud
    I absolutely agree. Silent teachers are no good to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    Perhaps another thread with a poll is called for, Mr. Moderator?
    I've done it myself now:

Should teachers be allowed to enter more categories at comps?

Exactly how is an ex-Teacher supposed to sound. Will I sound different when I start teaching again?

Curious as to who the Non-Teachers are who have so publicly voiced this opinion? I thought it was simply a decision by the competition organisers (who may have good reasons for such a decision). I would suggest, however, that the result is that many teachers who are no hot as dancers (like myself) now avoid the competition as they would have to compete against dancers who are way outside their league. This may be costing said organisers significant bucks.

The Forum Legend

Well, actually, where do you get your opinions from? Cos the only 3 non-teachers who've posted on this thead, agree with me, and not with you....

(Which is to say that I'm sure there are plenty of non-teacher who do agree with you. But so far, none of them have posted, and I am seriously asking where your opinion comes from. I've said what my opinion is, you've presumed to talk for all the non-teachers!).

Oh? And who exactly is it fair for? Teachers who are intermediate level competition dancers, who are forced to either compete way out of their league, or just don't bother competing at all? No, I didn't think so!
    Last edited by TheTramp; 9th-December-2007 at 09:02 PM.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Of course it wont be outwayed by non-teachers, because the fact is, people think teachers are better dancers than those who aren't teachers.

Competition dancing and teaching are two COMPLETELY different things, fact.
    Another teacher

Another teacher
    Yet you ignore the non-teachers agreeing with us...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Yet you ignore the non-teachers agreeing with us...
    Not ingored. i have read the comments and informed the 3 that make decitions.

Well, actually, where do you get your opinions from? Cos the only 3 non-teachers who've posted on this thead, agree with me, and not with you....
    Make that five (speaking for Bryony as well).

Lots of usenet discussion on this topic (in the context of WCS) here (search terms: professional "not a level of dance").

Quoting one:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corbett
    explaining to those who don't yet understand...

Instructor is not a level of dance.
    Professional is not a level of dance.
    Teacher is not a level of dance.
    Competitor is not a level of dance.

Commercial Operator

scenario......
    A 55 yr old couple enter seniors, they have only been dancin 12 months, they dont get through the first round, they are up against teachers who have previously entered the advanced section. Is this fair?????
    This is the kind of thinking that got sports days stopped.

Competitions are about finding the best, they are not fair, the best will usually win. There will be winners and there will be losers. A 55 year old couple who have been dancing 12 months should not expect to win a competition. They should be delighted to make it through the first round against people who will have mostly been dancing a lot longer, teacher or not.

A teacher/Advanced dancer should in the opinion of C2D dance against their equal.
    Again, wooly thinking that ultimately says that competition is evil because people are not all made equal and some will lose. MOST people will lose - there can be only ONE winner.

If C2D really thought that people should "dance against their equal" you'd have to have a pre-competition dance to make sure everybody in every category was "equal".

Effectively, you'd have to say "you'd win this category as you're not equal to the others in it - therefore you can't be in this category". This means that the competition is to see who should not have been in that category as they've proved that they are not "equal" to the other competitors. Clearly that can not be the case, which is why I'm surprised that C2D are saying it

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Clearly that can not be the case, which is why I'm surprised that C2D are saying it
    Let's face it, Andy, it's just you they don't like.

Thread Information