Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The DTS breadmaker thread

The DTS breadmaker thread

Moved from the Feedback On Club Nights thread - DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_and_tonic View Post
    OMG that sounds deliiiishhhhhhh!!!!!!! Eat your heart out Nigella!
    I very often experiment with the bread maker and have had some gorgeous bread and some right house bricks as well.

XXX XXX DTS Dave
    Last edited by David Bailey; 26th-November-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: Feedback on Club nights

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_and_tonic View Post
    OMG that sounds deliiiishhhhhhh!!!!!!! Eat your heart out Nigella!
    yes it was and completely my idea i would like to point out.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    yes it was and completely my idea i would like to point out.!!!
    Quick update just had a 1 inch slice of my coconut and cranberry bread with some butter and a load of honey on it........................................Bloody marvellous.

XXX XXX DTS Dave

hehe how odd.. I've been baking bread today as well. I went for a simple wholemeal and sunflower seeded rustic bread. I don't have a bread maker unfortunately

Tastes lovely though .. nice cruncy well fired crust*

(Baking jargon for.. *Slightly overbaked But only slightly.. not burnt !)

Re: The DTS breadmaker thread

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Moved from the Feedback On Club Nights thread - DJ

I very often experiment with the bread maker and have had some gorgeous bread and some right house bricks as well.

XXX XXX DTS Dave
    I'm a big fan of making bread with Granary Flour, and then adding extra poppy & sesame seeds in with the flour. It's not much effort with the breadmaker, but you can't go back to sandwiches made from mass produced bread when you've had the nice stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    I'm a big fan of making bread with Granary Flour, and then adding extra poppy & sesame seeds in with the flour. It's not much effort with the breadmaker, but you can't go back to sandwiches made from mass produced bread when you've had the nice stuff!!
    You could try something a little more adventurous, google rewana bread for a precise recipe, basically, boil some clean potatoes, skin on but sliced, leave the water in the pot (covered), (use the spuds elsewhere), wait until the mix starts to bubble about three or four days, use this mix as the yeast and water part of your bread.
    (Old Maori recipe, I have been told it works with sweet potatoes as well)
    look here Has anybody got the receipe for the starter plant for rewana bread? - Yahoo! Answers
    Last edited by kiwi_clay; 27th-November-2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: adding link to recipe for plant

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_clay View Post
    You could try something a little more adventurous,
    Adventurous? That's The Indiana Jones of Bread making. me I'm more at the Mr Bean of bread making level

I have found though that my bread.. while fine enough is ,well, a bit on the bland side. I used good quality flour but it doesn't really have a strong taste.

Mind you this is probably more to do with my particular congenital problem than anything else. perhaps it'll taste fine to someone with a fully functioning olfactory system.

adding in the sunflower seeds gave it a nice texture but didn't impart much in the way of flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post

I have found though that my bread.. while fine enough is ,well, a bit on the bland side. I used good quality flour but it doesn't really have a strong taste.
    A French chef I used to know, made the most mouthwatering pastry and cake out of bog standard "supermarket own brand value" flour.

He said it doesn't make any difference what flour you use.

Not sure about bread though.

For all the bakers on here (bread, cakes, pies) who missed the Guardian on Saturday, check this out. Made me feel hungry just reading it!

And once you've read the list of ingredients in shop-bought cakes somehow making your own seems so much more appealing.

Am well known for making good bread. I usually use an equal mix of strong white bread flour, wholemeal and grannary flour. Secret ingredient for my bread is malt extract - disolve one or two tablespoons in the warm water you use to mix the dough up with. I also use a mixture of seeds kneaded into the dough after it's been knocked back and am re-kneading. Mix of poppy, sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seeds.

My mother always used to say that you should make bread when you're angry as you can punch the living daylights out of the dough when you're kneading it

Personally I love the feel of the dough between my fingers, pushing and pulling it, twisting and turning it. Very satisfying

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Secret ingredient for my bread is malt extract
    Well it's not really a secret now, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Well it's not really a secret now, is it?
    No - I thought I'd be generous and share it, 'cause I'm like that! But most bread recipes don't tell you, and it really does make it taste an awful lot better.

Beo, it's not your sensory deprivation, don't worry!

When I used to make bread, I would make soda bread and add black treacle with sultanas, another mix was porridge oats in the flour, and add sultanas and raisons in a plain white mix. Stong bread flour is always the best, butter milk and bicarbonate of soda to make it rise. It didn't last two minutes when it came out of the oven it was wolfed down, with hot strong tea, best butter and rhubarb and ginger jam............delicious
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    When I used to make bread, I would make soda bread and add black treacle with sultanas, another mix was porridge oats in the flour, and add sultanas and raisons in a plain white mix. Stong bread flour is always the best, butter milk and bicarbonate of soda to make it rise. It didn't last two minutes when it came out of the oven it was wolfed down, with hot strong tea, best butter and rhubarb and ginger jam............delicious

Kneading bread is a recognised way to get rid of frustrations.

Nowadays women take valium.

You could try something a little more adventurous, google rewana bread for a precise recipe, basically, boil some clean potatoes, skin on but sliced, leave the water in the pot (covered), (use the spuds elsewhere), wait until the mix starts to bubble about three or four days, use this mix as the yeast and water part of your bread.
    (Old Maori recipe, I have been told it works with sweet potatoes as well)
    look here Has anybody got the receipe for the starter plant for rewana bread? - Yahoo! Answers
    I used to use the breadmaker every other day, so am less interested in something that takes ages but doesn't improve the taste that much. However I'm open to new ideas - can you explain what is the improvment in taste by using potato water rather than yeast please?

I used to live in Great Moors, Stockport, and when sent on errands along Buxton Road for groceries (passing time whilst walking along by salivating at visions of the naked ladies in the life class at my evening Art School class) I would purchase for mere pennies a most wholesome and delicious small wholemeal loaf; warm and cuddlesome from the oven in the bakery along there. They were magiced from Allinson's flour but had a moistness and juiceiness imparted, I'm pretty sure, from Twirly's secret ingredient; malt extract.

Hovis, by contrast, was anodyne and tastless.

Mind you I can remember when even white bread, warm from the bakery oven, tempted boyish fingers to pluck out chunks from one end on the way home. Lovely today, stale tomorrow.

Once there; thick slices spread with butter (sadly, more often margarine) and golden syrup, or condensed milk, even sugar granules, fed the appetite of a growing preteenager.

These days, sliced plastic chemicalised and steamed white bread is just about palatable for days on end, but is a very definite no, no, for this fella. I'd rather eat oven chips.
    Last edited by Whitebeard; 30th-November-2007 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Repetition

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    I used to use the breadmaker every other day, so am less interested in something that takes ages but doesn't improve the taste that much. However I'm open to new ideas - can you explain what is the improvment in taste by using potato water rather than yeast please?
    Effectively rewana bread is a sour-dough bread, with a somewhat earthier taste, you will need maltose to feed the yeast produced in this way, but the taste is definitely better IMHO, however I do know people who hated it .
    In relation to twirly's post's malt extract helps because almost all yeasts used in baking use maltose to grow and produce gas, when we add sucrose that is what helps to brown the crust.
    If you are not gluten intolerant, try adding gluten to your flour (teaspoon per cup by memory, check this out), as this will improve the structure of your bread ,
    Another thing to remember is salt kills yeast so never add the two together, but you do need salt as this is needed for the gluten to produce a good structure.
    There are a number of company's here that make "bread improver", basically a mix of gluten and vitamin C, which speeds the yeast, and helps with structure..often this will already be mixed into commercial breadmaker mixes..

Its been a few years Im now having to dig my breadmaking pan's out again

Its been a few years Im now having to dig my breadmaking pan's out again
    I inherited my Grandmother's bread tins (4)

When my son was 3, I made cakes in them and arranged them into the number 3 for his Birthday Cake.

Haven't tried them with bread yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post

Once there; thick slices spread with condensed milk,

Hey hey some else who had condonie sarnies and sugar butties. Is it a Northern thing or have my friends in the South heard of it as well? I think we were just poor. Just can't believe I ate them but then I really used to like 'pobs' as well, hot milk with lumps of white bread in it. Ahh now where's that Monty Python sketch.....

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post

....... but then I really used to like 'pobs' as well, hot milk with lumps of white bread in it. Ahh now where's that Monty Python sketch.....
    By eckerslike, I'd forgotten about that. Used to like loads of sugar in mine, but my father added a hefty sprinkling of salt; just as he also did with porridge (think that's a Scots' thing he picked up).

And when you had boils you had a boiling hot pobs poultice slapped on your neck !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post

Kneading bread is a recognised way to get rid of frustrations.

Nowadays women take valium.
    Hecky thump you know I bet a lot of trendies go the gym,and punch the living daylights out of a punch bag, when they could have stayed at home and thumped the dough and made everyone happy with good loaf of comfort food.

Thread Information