Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ipod Auxillary cable for in car

Re: Ipod Auxillary cable for in car

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Thats amazing value.

I just had a look and the cheapest cable I found was £49-95.
    To connect an ipod in this way means I have to sacrifice my cd changer (which im obviously not bothered about) BUT I still have to get the dealer to fit it.
    That will take the total to over £100
    It does mean that I get to use my wheel controls though but need to rely on the ipod screen for song info.

Oh well.
    I would go to a reputable in car entertainment supplier/ fitter not knowing where you are from makes it hard to try to suggest somewhere

even halfords fit this sort of stuff fo nothing if you buy it from them

my alpine cost a shade under £250 including fitting that was from our local auto electrician who are excellent

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Thats amazing value.

I just had a look and the cheapest cable I found was £49-95.
    To connect an ipod in this way means I have to sacrifice my cd changer (which im obviously not bothered about) BUT I still have to get the dealer to fit it.
    That will take the total to over £100
    It does mean that I get to use my wheel controls though but need to rely on the ipod screen for song info.

Oh well.
    Paul what car are you driving? Might be able to make a few better suggestions than over £100

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    I would go to a reputable in car entertainment supplier/ fitter not knowing where you are from makes it hard to try to suggest somewhere

even halfords fit this sort of stuff fo nothing if you buy it from them

my alpine cost a shade under £250 including fitting that was from our local auto electrician who are excellent
    Did have an Alpine 9853r Ipod setup but found it useless, particularly for draining the ipod during the night (the things they don't tell you in the manual). It got sold after a wee while.

Instead I got a Pioneer DEHP4900IB for £139, fitted it myself and it works really well The ipod is hidden away from prying eyes and I have song display etc. and full control over the ipod too.

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    Paul what car are you driving? Might be able to make a few better suggestions than over £100

Did have an Alpine 9853r Ipod setup but found it useless, particularly for draining the ipod during the night .
    Ah yours did it too?
    as i put in my first post i think the battery drains when the night is cold
    thats one of the bad points on the alpine

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    Have sent you a PM. If you could advise of a better (or should that be cheaper) way I would really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I know that for my stereo, there's a connection at the back that can be used if you have a CD autochanger (which I don't) but you can also buy an MP3 adaptor which can use that connection. You have to take the radio out to do it though, which is sometimes tricky.
    I had the same problem as described here - had an iPod and a iTrip FM transmitter but the quality was shocking so when I got my latest car I wanted to have a proper connection.

So I bought what David is describing above (one of these)- basically it 'spoofs' a CD autochanger and therefore I have partial, if not full, control of my iPod via my head unit.

Advantages:

iPod is hidden away in the glovebox.
    Some control over the iPod.
    Gives you a headphone jack as well.
    Keeps the iPod fully charged.
    No need to change your head unit.

Disadvantages:

Doesn't give you full control - relies on your playlists. Basically shifting between discs on the autochanger will shift between playlists and then your normal next and previous buttons will work within that playlist. It's enough for me but might not be enough for some people.
    Obviously you'd lose your autochanger if you had one.

It cost me £85, though that was on a buy-it-now and I think I paid over the odds and my local stereo place fitted it for £40 so that the connecters came into my glovebox.

Hope that helps.

Or, if you have a car that still has a cassette player, you could just get one of these for £3...

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    Or, if you have a car that still has a cassette player, you could just get one of these for £3...
    had one of those every time i went over a bump the it moved away from the tape head so it sounded like my ipod was jumping ewwwww

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

much better off with one of these its only £13 and will allow you to store loads of music on different usb memory sticks (as well as plug in your iPod*). USB memory is CHEAP - 2gb for £7.99 - here

*incidentally if you have pirated music on it, its called an iiPod

Yep, that works fine if you have a cassette player. That was the case on my previous car and I had one of those and it did the job well - no problem with it jumping either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    much better off with one of these its only £13 and will allow you to store loads of music on different usb memory sticks (as well as plug in your iPod*).
    In my experience, any sort of FM transmitter is pretty much useless if you live anywhere near London in the south east - the airwaves are just too congested and it's pretty much impossible to find a free frequency that has no interference that will stay free for an acceptable amount of time. On my 17 mile drive to work, mainly through rural areas, I'd have to re-tune at least twice, and driving around the M25 trying to use it was a pain in the backside. Even when I found a clear frequency the quality really wasn't very good - background hissing was particularly annoying.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

never thought of that - its nice to live up here

Thread Information