Thread: Amongst other superlatives, the US is also...

Amongst other superlatives, the US is also...

...the most powerfully hypocritical nation in the world.

If only the US government was so enthusiastic about investigating its own corrupt practices.

They make me puke.

Re: Amongst other superlatives, the US is also...

I mean to add...

...at least we don't kidnap people from the middle east, fly them back to an island off the coast of England, and imprison and torture them for years, denying them human rights and the protection of the (unwritten) constitution.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    I mean to add...

...at least we don't kidnap people from the middle east, fly them back to an island off the coast of England, and imprison and torture them for years, denying them human rights and the protection of the (unwritten) constitution.
    How do you know we don't? It's probably truer to say... at least we don't do that then brag about it...

(and yes - I am with you on the whole hypocrisy thing - I'm just being a touch pedantic)

An Eclectic Toaster

I mean to add...

Erm, no. But replace the bold parts above with "let the CIA", and "in the middle of the Indian Ocean", and that statement could be true.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

...the most powerfully hypocritical nation in the world.

If only the US government was so enthusiastic about investigating its own corrupt practices.

They make me puke.
    Um, actually, I don't mind this so much - at least someone's investigating some corrupt practices, surely that's a good thing?

Whilst we're at it, I'd also like them to look at Labour's voting fraud practices re: postal voting and Scottish elections, their dodgy funding practices, and a few other things...

And maybe we could return the favour somehow

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Whilst we're at it, I'd also like them to look at Labour's voting fraud practices re: postal voting and Scottish elections, their dodgy funding practices, and a few other things...
    You want the American authorities to examine British voting systems and party funding?

Oh, same logic as Barry originally pointed out. Righty-ho, carry on...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    You want the American authorities to examine British voting systems and party funding?
    Well, hell, someone's got to, we clearly can't.

Actually, ideally, I'd like us to have UN observers at our elections from now on, we clearly can't be trusted to run them freely and fairly ourselves.

An Eclectic Toaster

Actually, ideally, I'd like us to have UN observers at our elections from now on, we clearly can't be trusted to run them freely and fairly ourselves.
    In fact the Scottish election was, in an after-the-event sense. Ron Gould, the Canadian who conducted the enquiry into the fiasco, has led and participated in more than 100 election observation missions in over 70 countries.

But you're right: UK elections need external monitoring now because the processes are becoming increasingly corrupted or open to corruption. Postal voting, ex-pat voting, electronic counting machines, e-voting are all dodgy. And with a voting system for Westminster where the result hangs on only a few thousand votes, transparency is desperately needed now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    In fact the Scottish election was, in an after-the-event sense. Ron Gould, the Canadian who conducted the enquiry into the fiasco, has led and participated in more than 100 election observation missions in over 70 countries.

But you're right: UK elections need external monitoring now because the processes are becoming increasingly corrupted or open to corruption. Postal voting, ex-pat voting, electronic counting machines, e-voting are all dodgy. And with a voting system for Westminster where the result hangs on only a few thousand votes, transparency is desperately needed now.
    I think it's important to ensure that the non-doms get to vote. It would be a shame if they came here to earn £millions without paying any tax only to find somebody gets voted in who'll stop their gravy train.

The Dashing Moderator

Guantanamo 3

...at least we don't kidnap people from the middle east, fly them back to an island ~snip~ and imprison and torture them for years, denying them human rights and the protection of the (unwritten) constitution.
    I bet they didn't expect a Spanish Extradition.
    BBC NEWS | UK | Guantanamo three detained in UK
    Love dance, will travel

Well, hell, someone's got to, we clearly can't.

If you guys can't do you think the US can?! You grant them with far more ability than is due...
    What they have is more people to do the job with more hand-offs than any other nation probably would - that way there are more people who know less.... and so no one really finds the fraudulent activity they're meant to be looking for in the first place!

Thread Information