Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammersmith: your views

Re: Hammersmith: your views

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    Had some fabulous dances, Mr Cool, DTS, Tor, George, Mac, Mr Darcy, and Paul, to name a few. I really loved the welcome from DTS and Trouble thank you guys ,it was lovely to see you both again. Also really nice to see Yilander, DD+, and to meet Astro, I really enjoyed the night, [even my very sore big toe didn't spoil my evening.
    I loved my dances with Mr. Cool, DTS, Gerry, Mac, Trouble and Fletch.

Great to meet Rubyred at last.

This was my second time to Hammersmith and the only things I would say not in favour of parts of the evening were that at times, in my opinion, the music was not really recognisable to me as music you could Modern Jive too. I am sure it suited others.
    There were a lot of my favorites missing from the play list, which Annette often plays.

Also the sound system was a bit off, the music was quite loud at the stage end of the hall, but at the back the music was not loud enough.
    It has always being like that. Once you go into the bottom half of the room the music is distorted.

Too near the stage, and it's too loud, my ears were ringing the next day.

The trick is to dance just insude the half way mark stage wise.

I was hoping the refurb would inlude a decent inbuilt sound system.

I would like to return and next time go when the blues room was open.
    The sound sytem in the blues room is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post

The sound system was awfull, at the back of the room you couldn't even tell what the track was at some points in the evening
    Yeah you can be halfway though a track before you recognise it.
    [/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I think it attracts a lot of people who're 'new to freestyles', as its advertised from the stage after most lessons in London and maybe its due to this, that the floorcraft is so dreadful?

I don't care what anyone says, there IS a distinct lack of floor craft! Possibly this is due to the 'new to freestyle' crowd, mentioned earlier?
    I've never really associated the bad floor craft with 'new to freestyle' types. At Hammersmith it seems to be the show offs at the stage end of the hall who take up so much room and who clearly have been dancing for ages and should know better than to be so selfish, rude, ignorant, vile and vain.

The women flounce around, nearly wearing clothes, stamping on everyone's feet and whacking everyone with their ponytails/jewellery/arms/legs & spinning 50 milllion times like the cartoon character Tasmanian Devil & the men just walk backwards into people without looking where they are going, just expecting everyone else to get out of their way.

Quite a lot of this goes on at Ashtons too, but it's no where near as bad as Hammersmith. I just hate the fact that these assholes at the stage end of Hammersmith think their crap smells of roses and that they are better than everyone else.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I LOVE HAMMERSMITH
    Ok, I accept that you love it ..

But, what is it, that makes Hammersmith 'better' than 'other' venues for you? Thats what I really want to know!

Everyone who's written positive posts has said what lovely dances they had with 'blah blah' and 'so n so' but you could have had them anywhere.. that's more down to the people you like dancing with.. not really anything to do with the venue?

I think we've established that the music is OK but I think the consensus is, that the sound quality is poor!

So what else makes it so good?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I find it fascinating that you so dislike Hammersmith DJ, yet I’ve seen you post reasonable things about Chiswick. To me, the venues are pretty similar,
    Not to me. And hey, I'm always reasonable.

They're very different... And I've posted nasty things about Chiswick too - lots of times - but I guess I still think a bit of the STB magic lingers with Chiswick.

I'm willing to give a venue a reasonable run, to see if it improves (which I did with Chiswick - and, to be fair, it has improved). But I've been going to Hammersmith for 10 years now - do you not think that's a reasonable timeframe? And frankly, the bad nights have outweighed the good ones there.

and I always seem to see the same people at both as well, the floorcraft is of a similar level too. And as I’ve said before, I often think that “floorcraft” is more to do with how packed the venue is anyway, though not always (more about that elsewhere).
    Nope, not even close. It was packed at Berko last night, but the floorcraft was fine. Some venues just seem to attract the inconsiderate show-off hotshot numpty bloody-intermediates like flies.

The main differences between the two venues IMO are size (Hammersmith being so much bigger), heat and floor quality – Hammersmith winning out over Chiswick on both these factors by miles. Hammersmith is never as hot as Chiswick, even when it’s been a hot day, and the floor particularly now (it was a totally different colour to before I noticed). Of course Chiswick does have the two rooms, but then Hammersmith does on occasion too.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of Chiswick either - I don't mind the heat, but I agree the other factors are relevant. The drinks are expensive too - although the queue is non-existent. But I've not noticed a serious problem with floorcraft or attitude at Chiswick.

So I still fail to understand your hatred of the place DJ. I’ve been bashed around and trodden on to the same degree at both venues, so I can’t believe that it’s purely down to the clientele.
    Nope, I think it really is down to the clientele.

In the same way that the Casbah attracts loonies, Hammersmith attracts hotshots. Or, possibly, the venue brings out those qualities for some reason.

And give yourself another few years, you'll learn to hate it too

Blog Entries

I think it attracts a lot of people who're 'new to freestyles', as its advertised from the stage after most lessons in London and maybe its due to this, that the floorcraft is so dreadful?
    Actually, that's a good point. Because there aren't many regulars, and there's a lot of churn in terms of people, there's less of a "community atmosphere" - everyone's a stranger, so people are generally less well-behaved? Maybe that's it...

The bar - the last time I went, the queue never got under ten people deep and quite often it was a lot longer and its not a 'proper' bar either! Prices, I couldn't say, as i'm useless at noticing this.
    By the time you get there, you're probably so thirsty that you'd pay anything...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

. I just hate the fact that these assholes at the stage end of Hammersmith think their crap smells of roses and that they are better than everyone else.
    errr, i was stage end. Cheers!

Your quite right Lory to ask the question, what makes hammersmith different or why is it hammersmith that you like. Its not hammersmith, its the people and the music. It could have been anywhere because as long as you have a good group of dancers and lovely people around you, thats it, great night had by all.

For me, annettes set was just right, it had up beat music and some slower, it was not too clubby which i hate and it was just a real good feel. I have spoken to others who were not that impressed or were pretty matter of fact about it overall but thats cause they know hammersmith and use it regularly so spose they are used to it and not everybody has the same taste in music.

Hammersmith on its own - **** - Hammersmith with annette dj - good Hammersmith with a few forumites chucked in - fantastic - hammersmith with a few forumites chucked in and some new people that can dance - GREAT NIGHT HAD BY ALL.

But, what is it, that makes Hammersmith 'better' than 'other' venues for you? Thats what I really want to know!

Everyone who's written positive posts has said what lovely dances they had with 'blah blah' and 'so n so' but you could have had them anywhere.. that's more down to the people you like dancing with.. not really anything to do with the venue?

I think we've established that the music is OK but I think the consensus is, that the sound quality is poor!

So what else makes it so good?
    Saw this just before I went to post something I’d already written… and some bits at the bottom of this about why I like it, which I’d already decided to address.

Well I had an OKish time at Hammersmith on Saturday. The OKish thing was nothing to do with Hammersmith, I’ve got a sprained instep (again) caused by nothing more exciting than walking to the shops and baking when I got home on Saturday afternoon I thought it was just my usual foot problems, and tried to loosen it up, which probably made it worse.

The place was fairly crowded when I eventually got there (10.30ish), but there was still space to dance where I positioned myself about 2/3 of the way to the back of the room. It was warm, but not boiling. There seemed to be plenty of men – more men standing around the edge of the room than women, which is a usually a good sign for me and sure enough, I barely had to ask anyone to dance all night.

Despite the comments about floorcraft at Hammersmith, I didn’t find it any worse than anywhere else I’ve ever danced. Maybe I just go exclusively to venues with bad floorcraft?! True, I don’t get around as much as some others on here. But if a venue is busy enough to make money for the organisers, then it’s probably going to be fairly full and there will be less space to dance, therefore more collisions. But I had nothing major on Saturday (apart from the incident below), just a couple of light bumps, followed by profuse apologies from those concerned, which I find quite forgivable.

The only person whom I had any issue with on this front is someone I’ve seen at competitions, and I nearly posted this on the thread that’s running about competition winners, but saying that “I don’t like dancing near competitors”! During one early dance my partner had to keep taking evasive action due to this lead, and at one point he and his partner reversed into us whilst we were actually stationary. Then later, whilst dancing with someone else, the guy did a half splits move – a squat low to the floor with one leg extended out behind him. I only realised this as I suddenly felt something, and looked down to find his foot had been inserted between my feet, and out the other side! Fortunately it was a slowish number, and I was able to extricate myself without incident. But it was an incredibly stupid move to be doing on such a crowded, social dance floor.

However I’ve seen this kind of lack of consideration everywhere I’ve danced, and it’s not exclusive to Hammersmith. I suspect that the volume of dancers makes it seem worse than it is. But this was really the only major incident I suffered.

I don’t tend to dance near the stage anymore, but that’s due to the music volume – I can’t hear a thing (sorry Astro ) I didn’t have any problems with the quality of the sound system, or the volume a the back of the hall…

I like Hammersmith because of it’s size and the variety of dancers it attracts. There are usually familiar faces there whom I’ve danced with at other events (including forumites now, but others too), and there are usually lots of faces I don’t know as well, so I can dance with some new people too. I’ve always liked a degree of anonymity, and being able to blend into the crowd… I really like seeing that many dancers all in one big space doing their thing. There’s something great about the energy in the room.

The music is usually a little bit different to what is played at my local venue, which is probably where I dance the most otherwise. I never like all the music played on any night, but I also suspect that I’m not as fussy as some people on here about the music – so long as there is variety, but it doesn’t change tempo too drastically too often I’m happy (hate it when it’s either all fast, all slow, or there is alternate fast and slow – prefer a small grouping of tracks of a similar nature to get into it, then a change to freshen things up, etc.)

Am also bemused by the trouble people have parking. Have never had a problem (even before I drove and my friend did – and no, I’m not telling you my secret special place for parking!

And have never had a major problem with the bar either. Once or twice have had a queue and maybe had to wait 10 minutes. And I noticed on Saturday they were doing tap water – 20p for the plastic cup, then free refills which was good. Still bought a bottle, as there isn’t anywhere to put a cup, and have had things spilt before. Agree that the seating arrangements are less than ideal, however they are trying to maximise dance floor space, and at least you’re not barricaded behind tables, so do get asked to dance even if you’re sitting down.

Finally, I guess that for me, it’s also relatively convenient. It’s over the other side of London, but I can now drive there and back on the same night easily. Apart from Chiswick and Greenwich, it’s the most easily accessible venue. I might start venturing further south soon (should be in receipt of a Tom Tom soon!), but it might be too much effort (haven’t been driving that long, so difficult driving back when tired, plus not always sure of going to strange venues on my own where I’m unlikely to be familiar with any of the dancers). Anything north of London is too far away to do in one night I now know, which means hotels or finding someone to stay with.

So I continue to like Hammersmith. Whatever anyone else says!

what makes it good for me is.

and I think this is a London in general thing.

The men are more likely to have a go at the style of music playing..ie latin you get mambo moves, funk, they funk it up, etc., in the Midlands it can be one speed one style bounce bounce.

The attitude is different in London, you smile at people in London they smile back, if you do this in some venues in the Midlands upwards, there much more suspicious, why is she smiling at me and who is she, I think maybe its a bit more fluid in London with people dipping in and out of the seen, it can be very 'your in my seat' in the Midlands.

There seems to be a habit in the Midlands if you don't get a move right the guy will say, 'Shall I walk you through it, don't you know that move, or shall we try again, in London the man seem to go with the flow.

Hammersmith is bigger so more men to dance with and its on later than most in the Midlands.

and before I get ripped to shreds, there are people in the Midlands that aren't like this, but it does seem they are in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post

In the same way that the Casbah attracts loonies, Hammersmith attracts hotshots. Or, possibly, the venue brings out those qualities for some reason.

And give yourself another few years, you'll learn to hate it too

I havn't been to the Casbah I like loonies its same old same I get board with

I will move on before I hate it, might even go back to the Midlands

Blog Entries

{ snip list - summary: basically, it's in London }
    Fletch, there are quite literally dozens of MJ venues in the London area - you've said nothing about why, specifically, you love Hammersmith...

I've never been to Hammersmith/anywhere in London and thought this thread might help me decide whether to make the effort, but no such luck! The opinions seem very split.

My main dislikes are a very crowded dancefloor and scary floorcrafters/risk of collisions, so it sounds like it might not be for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Flicts View Post
    I've never been to Hammersmith/anywhere in London and thought this thread might help me decide whether to make the effort, but no such luck! The opinions seem very split.

My main dislikes are a very crowded dancefloor and scary floorcrafters/risk of collisions, so it sounds like it might not be for me.
    Don't be put off Miss Flicts

They are extremely friendly at Hammersmith.

No one knocked me on Saturday.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Don't be put off Miss Flicts

No one knocked me on Saturday.
    If you do go to Hammersmith - you crazy fools - then I'd recommend:
    • Avoiding dancing by the stage
    • Taking some drinks along
    • Leaving extra time to find parking space

Your best option is to try and time it for a weekend when it's not a "special" night, so avoid the Christmas party or any other night when there's two rooms and a 2am finish, as these tend to be very busy, unless you like the blues room and want to stay down there all night.

And if you are planning on staying in London for the whole weekend try combining it with some other event or dance evening, to make travel worthwhile.

Apart from special nights, I've always had a good time, and not had a problem with half the things other people seem to find irritating.

It's one of those things that ought to be tried once - then if you don't like it you'll never have to come back, but if you do, well you can stop wondering and come regularly

Just to clarify: floorcraft we all know, varies everywhere for all different reasons and with imho,no exact criteria.

The point i was trying to make is that it is quite simply unacceptable for people to have social conversations a few meters into the 'obvious' dancing area.

and I think this is a London in general thing.

The men are more likely to have a go at the style of music playing..ie latin you get mambo moves, funk, they funk it up, etc., in the Midlands it can be one speed one style bounce bounce.

The attitude is different in London, you smile at people in London they smile back, if you do this in some venues in the Midlands upwards, there much more suspicious, why is she smiling at me and who is she, I think maybe its a bit more fluid in London with people dipping in and out of the seen, it can be very 'your in my seat' in the Midlands.

There seems to be a habit in the Midlands if you don't get a move right the guy will say, 'Shall I walk you through it, don't you know that move, or shall we try again, in London the man seem to go with the flow.

Hammersmith is bigger so more men to dance with and its on later than most in the Midlands.

Fletch, there are quite literally dozens of MJ venues in the London area - you've said nothing about why, specifically, you love Hammersmith...
    the people are freindly, fun, the music is brill.

the venues I like are

Ealing
    Ashtons
    Berko
    HMS Presedent
    Twyford
    Simon Borland's Fullham venue

the venues i'm not so keen on are

Woking
    Cheshunt/Cheswick..?.the venue you have to go out side in the rain to another bar to get a drink

you need to make your oun mind up honey

well they are now 'old grumpy guts' has stoped coming

If you do go to Hammersmith - you crazy fools - then I'd recommend:
    • Avoiding dancing by the stage
    • Taking some drinks along
    • Leaving extra time to find parking space

well I get there early and have no problem with parking
    I found it easyer dancing right in front of the stage this week
    not commenting on the drinks.....were not allowed are we

Quote Originally Posted by tiger View Post

The point i was trying to make is that it is quite simply unacceptable for people to have social conversations a few meters into the 'obvious' dancing area.
    this get right up my nose, when people do this my floor craft isn't very good when this happens.................I do a tipical 'Fletch' move see avatar
    Last edited by fletch; 26th-November-2007 at 06:02 PM.

Blog Entries

the venues i'm not so keen on are

Woking
    Cheshunt/Cheswick..?.the venue you have to go out side in the rain to another bar to get a drink
    Chesham, I suspect. Hey, it's close enough

you need to make your oun mind up honey
    In this, we're in complete agreement. Too many people simply listen to other people's opinions. *cough*sheep*cough*

Go where you want, ignore what other people say - that's my motto

:
    ignore what other people say - that's my motto

sorry did you say something

well they are now 'old grumpy guts' has stoped coming

He's not a grumpy moderator anymore. He is now a lovable rogue moderator.

not commenting on the drinks.....were not allowed are we
    Nope.

this get right up my nose, when people do this my floor craft isn't very good when this happens.................I do a tipical 'Fletch' move see avatar
    I tried that.

The night Zidane got sent off, I watched the match in a nearby watering hole at Chiswick.

Well, it was a right old shin dig in the big room. I put my hand up 3 times in one dance and shouted foul - to no avail.

Maybe a few yellow and red cards could prove useful.

Blog Entries

He's not a grumpy moderator anymore. He is now a lovable rogue moderator
    Huh. So I am... didn't notice that. When did that appear?

Huh. So I am... didn't notice that. When did that appear?
    My theory:

1. Andy McGregor has hacked the forum.
    2. Andy McGregor can't spell rouge.

Thread Information