Thread: Overcompensating with a support bandage?

Overcompensating with a support bandage?

I fear to stop wearing my leg support bandage, although I don't need it outside dancing.

Is it the right thing to wear it a long time, or will the muscle detriorate?

Is it a vicious circle?

Also, are there any special supports just for dancers?

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: Overcompensating with a support bandage?

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Also, are there any special supports just for dancers?
    Think they're called poles

sorry
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

this is one for your own Doc or physio to answer as everyone is different with injuries.
    My left arm has a 12" pin running from the shoulder to the elbow which gives me grief quite a lot of the time and I use to wear supports...but my physio told me this was detremental to the healing process as the arm would become too dependent on supports.
    Also the twinges and aches I suffer from through the arm being over worked that I didnt use to get so much when wearing supports are a good indication of telling me sit out a couple of dances and just rest rather than being oblivious that the arm needed to rest because I was wearing a support.
    But as I mentioned....it is each to their own but I would definately have a chat with someone who is an expert with your injury.
    Last edited by jemessex; 26th-November-2007 at 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by jemessex View Post
    this is one for your own Doc or physio to answer as everyone is different with injuries.
    Neither the doc at A&E, not the GP prescribed a support bandage.
    My left arm has a 12" pin running from the shoulder to the elbow which gives me grief quite a lot of the time and I use to wear supports...but my physio told me this was detremental to the healing process as the arm would become too dependent on supports.
    I suspected as much, but didn't know.

Also the twinges and aches I suffer from through the arm being over worked that I didnt use to get so much when wearing supports are a good indication of telling me sit out a couple of dances and just rest rather than being oblivious that the arm needed to rest because I was wearing a support.
    But as I mentioned....it is each to their own but I would definately have a chat with someone who is an expert with your injury.
    I will ask the GP what he thinks.

I pulled the quad on my right thigh in February - had 6 weeks off dancing.

Went back and wore a support for a few weeks.

Then in October, I pulled it again on a sticky floor. After a few weeks off again (didn't see a doc) I've had the support on just for dancing.

Apart from the dodgy floors I worry about being dropped, as it's my weight bearing leg.

I can sabotage, but some numpty's are to darn quick for me and I foiiled the drop, but end up in old positions - once I was sliding over a guy's back.

Hi Astro,

Sorry to hear about your injury!

I injured my knee about a year ago, was thinking it was healed up so tried a small jog on soft grass on Sunday there and my knee is throbbing a little now. Injuries they are a right pain

My knee is a ligament problem and they are slow to heal, muscles heal faster but still take time . You should have one visit to proper physo ASAP. Won't be to expensive £25 or something and you'll get all the proper advice which will put your mind at rest if nothing else.

I would guess for your type of injury a support bandage will have little effect.

So wear it if you want, won't do any harm as long as you don't wear it all day for months on end.

If I was you I would say to people your about to dance with is that you have an injured leg and don't want to put any pressure on it with drops etc. Sure most people will be understanding.

Hope you get better soon.

DD

Quote Originally Posted by DundeeDancer View Post

I injured my knee about a year ago, was thinking it was healed up so tried a small jog on soft grass on Sunday there and my knee is throbbing a little now.
    I strained my knee in a hopelessly done drop 5 days before I pulled the quad. The knee seemed fine on the night, but I quess the quad was compensating for the knee.

My knee is a ligament problem and they are slow to heal, muscles heal faster but still take time . You should have one visit to proper physo ASAP. Won't be to expensive £25 or something and you'll get all the proper advice which will put your mind at rest if nothing else.
    I wonder if people could recommend good dance orientated physios on the forum?

If I was you I would say to people your about to dance with is that you have an injured leg and don't want to put any pressure on it with drops etc. Sure most people will be understanding.
    Tell me about it Honey.

I find from my own experience, and from what I've read on the forum, with a small minority of men, saying that is like a red flag to a bull.

I get the feeling they would be the type of guy who date rape.

I find from my own experience, and from what I've read on the forum, with a small minority of men, saying that is like a red flag to a bull.
    Well that's the whole point! you say "I'd like to avoiding dips and stuff at the moment due to my injured right leg, is that OK?"

Majority of male dancers will give you some sympathy right away and you can always respond with "you can practice your close moves if you like though "

For the minority who act to your plea of consideration as a red flag to do the opposite. Well you'll probably see a stupid grin on their faces right away or get some smart remark back like "I'm the lead, I choose the moves". Then just stand your ground, say "No I'm serious". If they don't back down then don't dance with them as it's not worth the risk.

Might mean you get a few less dances with a***holes, so that's a result.

Will also mean a much lesser risk of re-injuring yourself, so you can enjoy week after week dancing with the majority of nice guys like .

Remember you have to respect yourself and your body before anyone else will. Your not a lump of meat to be tossed around the dance floor. Your an elegant lady that should be treated accordingly!

You should come dance with me in Edinburgh, with my left knee injured I don't like lunging out to the left at the moment so I like to avoid stupid drops and dips, Plenty other moves to play with.

Wow, Dundee Dancer, what a great post. I've a good mind to carry it in my back pocket to show other women.

To add to your advice on avoiding re-injury via drops, here is some information I've gleaned from my own experiences, teachers and the forum.

1. Some leads are in the HABIT of putting 5 or 6 drops into one track, and they won't remember a plea.

2. Some leads agree, but have no intention of keeping to the agreement. They are out to "impress". They'll drop, then pretend to have forgotton, then even go on to trick you with a 2nd drop - even faster and harder to sabotage. (In future I've promised myself I will walk away after the first drop - no more giving the benefit of the doubt).

3. Amir taught in a class that the lead should pause before a drop to allow the follow to position herself. He said "Wait until she is ready".

4. Andy McGregor's venues on the south coast ban drops because of the injuries they cause. I'd be in heaven there.

5. You're right, there are plenty of other moves to play with - and countless ways to end the dance without using a drop.

6. The general advice is that if you want to learn drops, then go to a drops workshop with a regular partner, so you can both practice together afterwards.

7. There are a couple of leads who have been nudging me along from Day 1, who I do drops with. They take ALL my weight and support my spine and head. I haven't a clue how they do this though.

8. This reminds me, don't assume because you see a follow enjoying drops that they "do drops". Always ask permission first. Even CJ likes to be asked.

Wow, Dundee Dancer, what a great post. I've a good mind to carry it in my back pocket to show other women.
    8. This reminds me, don't assume because you see a follow enjoying drops that they "do drops". Always ask permission first. Even CJ likes to be asked.
    Don't forget Astro always sabotage if it doesn't feel right, you've got to feel safe girl
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Thread Information