Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S'Funk Aftermath reviews

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

S'Funk Aftermath reviews

Toni's got the Funk, she's got the funk, yeah!
    Jane's got the Funk, she's got the Funk, yeah!
    Fletch's got the funk, she's got the Funk, Yeah!

But there were a few there, that didn't have the funk, they didn't have the funk..yeah!

Well, me and my sister had a brilliant night.. not that we knew any of the words, or the songs, or anything
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: S'Funk

Ok.........I was soooo hoping this was going to be mega-tastic - and.....well, overall verdict: good and enjoyable time, however the concept needs some 'tuning' perhaps.

Why? Well the music was ok to begin with, but then moved to more disco with "all the favs" - rather than 'Soul/Funk'. Aaaagh! Ok - I think that is what some people wanted (and were asking DJs for) - but where is the Rare Grooves - and the occassional contemporary soul tune?. This is of course just my view!

Not as many people as I anticipated and the atmosphere was ok-ish. The previous Utopia at the same venue was sooo much better!

Still, there were some great dances and it was a very enjoyable nite - just watching some of the dancing was good fun for a change. One of the highlights I experienced for the first time, was the 'Trouble/Double Trouble' 'sandwich move', including synchronised body ripples. I explained to Mrs. JiveLad afterwards that this was a standard Ceroc move.

I say 'one' of the highlights - maybe I meant 4 of the highlights......

Anyway, it was good to see DT and T having great fun as usual!!

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Well, me and my sister had a brilliant night.. not that we knew any of the words, or the songs, or anything

Me neither
    I had a great night too. I was a little concerned when we arrived as it was very quiet, but people seemed to arrive all at once. I loved the music, and was surprised that I knew most of the tracks, as I wasn't really sure what soul/funk was. As it wasn't overly busy, the partner and solo dancing mixed fine with little pockets of handbag dancing going on around the venue. At the beginning of the night I was adamant that there was no way I'd be up doing that! But by the end of the night I too was up there reliving my teenage years, in fact I think for the last 3 tracks I only spotted about 3 couples patner dancing.
    It did make me realise how since I mainly danced in blues and WCS rooms, my fitness level had dropped, many a dance had me breathing very heavily (and nothing to do with frotting, but because I was gasping for air!)
    My comment at the end of the night was 'Wow, that was like Utopia on speed!'
    Good job, guys!! When's the next one?

S'funk WOW

but you knew I was going to say that, it was all my stuff

I was so pleased to see so many men having a go a 'funking it up' they seemed happy to let there lady go and have a bop

some highlights, I danced every track bar 4 when i was in the loo.

Up's up's sided you head at the end

Van Macoy do the hussle, this was the second record i ever bought

cant get off my high horse Joslyn Brown

so many i'm hopless at this.

loads of fab dances.

JiveLad
    Rocky
    DavidB
    Simon R
    Keith J
    Tom Backer
    Bill
    DTS
    Chris A
    Gav
    Miguel
    Gerry

Paul Buckley...not bad concidering you only WCS

My lucky find was a guy called Stanley, he was sat in the corner on his own and I thought go and give the him a dance he looks lonley flippin hec! he blew my mind...respect

For me this was just the best, dancing to all my fav tracks there were tracks i havn't heard for ages, and I was stright back to my youth.

can we have cornal Abrahams 'traped' next time

and many thanks for my SHAK ATACK

PS no spell check on this PC

Woo hoo!!! I sooo loved last night - I'm still buzzing from it now!!

It was fab to be able to combine muggle dancing with partner dancing - and enjoy some tracks that I have not listened to for a while. It made me realise that I have neglected some cool "choons" as they are not what I would normally consider dancing to - but I definately need to rectify that

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post

...can we have cornal Abrahams 'traped' next time
    I just said the same to Lorraine!! But the boys had a tough job on their hands trying to please everyone and I know they had lots of requests - so I will let them off... this time Especially as they played so many other favourites.

All time favourite "I found lovin" - the anthem still brings back sooo many memories! (clearly we have grown up Vincey - at least we danced on the floor last night and not on a table with a bottle of champagne in our hand ) Im suprised I still have a voice today .

Limpy Tink runs off now to pull out the fat back band for another listen - and will probably be spotted in Tesco's in her own little world - but in my world all I can hear is "Lorraine's got the funk - shes got the funk yeah... Jane's got the funk - shes got the funk yeah.... Toni's got the funk - she's got the funk yeah...................!!

Quote Originally Posted by Limpy Tink;431912

I just said the same to Lorraine!! But the boys had a [B
    tough job[/B] on their hands trying to please everyone and I know they had lots of requests - so I will let them off... this time Especially as they played so many other favourites.

All time favourite "I found lovin" - the anthem still brings back sooo many memories! (clearly we have grown up Vincey - at least we danced on the floor last night and not on a table with a bottle of champagne in our hand ) Im suprised I still have a voice today .

Limpy Tink runs off now to pull out the fat back band for another listen - and will probably be spotted in Tesco's in her own little world - but in my world all I can hear is "Lorraine's got the funk - shes got the funk yeah... Jane's got the funk - shes got the funk yeah.... Toni's got the funk - she's got the funk yeah...................!!

it was when 'the midas touch' came on it felt like 'traped' should have been next

The guy's must have had a nightmare most of that stuff we had neaver danced to before.

Got Gerry's 'Funk' on it makes a change from mine I wan't to play and party NOW

I'v got the 'FUNK'

yeah!

Ok i'll have to settle for 'I found love'

An absolutely brilliant night

Here's the last 3 tracks of the evening:

3) Jocelyn Brown - Somebody Else's Guy (sorry about the lipsync)
    2) The Fatback Band - I Found Lovin'
    1) The Gap Band -Oops Upside Your Head

Re: S'Funk music favs

Well, I had a great time last night
    For the sake of my reputation as a Heavy Metal priestess, I hope that nobody has any video proof of how much I sang along to many of the tunes last night!!

When our car-load arrived, the place was pretty empty with a disproportionate number of women, which was to be expected I guess. I found myself hand-bagging to what I would call 'disco' tracks, which felt completely alien to me, & I wondered if I was going to find my groove, but I needn't have worried. I was also pleased to have finally danced at The Winning Post - thought I wan't going to manage to cross that off my list during '07. Am looking forward to many more nights there.

Please please post a playlist - I need to relive the fun of my faves & put in my requests for the next time

In summary, really great 'feel good' atmosphere, wouldn't want to dance to this material all the time, but was a refreshing change I would like to repeat, less 'clean' disco (I know you have to cater to the hand-baggers, but they need to learn how to dirty it up a bit) Classic moment - everyone singing along to the intro of 'Somebody Else's Guy' - awesome

C u all next time,
    SueX

Sounds like a fun night.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Is the proper pronounciation "EssFunk" or "SFunk"?
    Sefunk.
    It's short for "C'est le funk".
    (I think that's French for "it's smelly")
    Last edited by MartinHarper; 24th-November-2007 at 07:16 PM.

Blog Entries

A few pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: S'Funk music favs

Quote Originally Posted by SmileySue View Post
    Well, I had a great time last night
    For the sake of my reputation as a Heavy Metal priestess,
    Surely Sue you are simply too smiley to serve at the altar of heavy metal (unless Judas Priest were the object of veneration). Perhaps you have a darker side though and all that smiling is just a front but I am sure you aren't telling

Fab music, great atmosphere. We loved it, our handbag friends loved it, another one please.

Me and Gav arrived at the winning post at 9.30 and even though I was dying for a wee and a drink, I just had to get on the dance floor and swing my pants. Silver Fox was DJing when i got there and every tune was a must to get up to, in fact, there wasn't one track all night that I didn't love.

Fear of dehydration forced me to the bar for refreshments and I spotted Rocky. I managed to grab him from behind and have a tweak of his nipples. I was expecting the usual 'cupping' experience of his moobs, but the trappy old git seems to have lost a shed load of weight lately so I had to make do with a tweak of his nips instead. I'm pleased to say he wasn't interested in returning the favour.

I loved, loved, loved the music. It couldn't have been better if I had hand picked the play list myself. I suppose it could be seen as quite decadent for us soul lovers, but I definitely think there is a market for these types of music specific nights.

I had some lovely dances with Gav, Miguel, Gerry, Rocky, Jive lad & I even managed to stalk and grab Silver Fox for a boogie. There was one black guy called David who I had lots of dances with (he's not on the forum). He was totally into the music, knew all the words to every song, even the obscure ones that I thought only I would know, and was really fun to dance with.

I was apprehensive about the whole swing your pants mixed with MJ night and wasn't sure if it would work, but what was great about it was that if you really wanted to get up and dance to a track, you didn't have to waste time trying to grab a partner and missing half the song, you could just get up and have a little boogie on your own, without feeling out of place.

I had a major wardrobe malfunction with a pair of dance trousers I bought at Southport. It was the first opportunity I'd had to wear them and I didn't realise they were ultra low hipsters. I spent most of the night flashing the top of my arse and my thong in chavtastic style. At least I gave Cruella and Lory a good laugh. I'll wear a long top next time I put those trousers on.

The night ended all too quickly. I loved the last three tracks and joined on with "Oops upside your head". I know its totally cheesy, but I just don't care. There should be more nights like this where we can just have fun, sing along to all the soul tracks we enjoyed at Caister and Prestatyn soul weekends and relive our youth.

It wasn't as busy as it could have been, that was great for the punters, but I hope it doesn't put Rocky and SF off doing another one. I'm not exaggerating when i say that was the best dance night I have been to EVER..! The music, the people, the venue...all perfect. I simply cannot wait until the next one.

Blog Entries

Now I've had time to think about this a bit more, I've realised what appealed to me so much. There's elements of a night of handbagging that you just don't get from a whole night of MJ (and visa versa).. I'm not talking about the actual dance styles (that's obvious) but i'm talking about the atmosphere that's created..

When you partner dance, its very insular, which can be fabulous as we all know but you miss the community atmosphere, where everyone comes together. There's something very uplifting about singing your heart out with a group of people who also, know the words.

Contrary to people might think, IMO there's still a lot of lead and follow involved, watching the people around you and tuning into how they're dancing interpreting the music, its great fun to copy and join in!

A bit more pure cheese for the future wouldn't go a miss. I think we should make the effort and learn a dance like 'The bus stop' before we get there its easy peasy and IMO would be a good laugh!

S'Funk's a good 1-2 times year event, anything more than that would be overkill but I'd love to have a couple of true Anthems, to finish a good night of MJ off and bring everyone together and have everyone leaving, feeling like they've just been to a party.

p.s. Jane (my sister) wants to know in advance, when the next one is .. and funnily, it's inspired her to want to learn MJ

Thanks so much to everyone who supported our very first S'Funk night as we were so unsure of what the response would be. A week before the event we only had 40 bookings but on the night had a total of just under 140 through the door. This was great as it meant there was a real atmosphere but also meant there was plenty of room to trial the mix of partner and solo dancing without mishap or collisons.

I think what we learnt was that there was no way we could please everyone with the music. We tried really hard to create a mix of the different genres but even as we changed the mix we had as many people 'suggest' alternatives as we had saying that they wanted more of the same. The trouble with a night dedicated to what are very emotive songs for many and that evoke such positive (or sometimes) negative memories of their past is that you will inevitably miss some out and/or play versions that they don't recognize as 'their' favourite even if it was the original. Remember quite a lot of classics were re-recorded in subsequent decades and often it's the subsequent track they remember and not the original.

The other problem is one of classification. A few people suggested that we played too much disco but in reality out of the 80 odd tracks only about a dozen were out and out disco tracks in our minds. The boundary between soul/funk and disco (especially for 70's and early 80's) music is quite blurred so we have the problem where a song can be interpreted in one way by a one person and interpreted or perceived by another in a different way.

Of course there were also some notable omissions and again there was a problem here to in that what may be a great track to listen to may not be a great track to dance to. The speed of tracks were a constant issue as were the back beats of some of the tracks. Right at the beginning of the evening I had a lady bring me a track that she said was her all time favourite, and it was a great track, but it was only 85 BPM so there was unfortunately no way I could play it when our average speed was around 115-120 BPM for most of the night.

That said, we did have a blast! The mix of partner dancing and solo dancing worked really well and what was also really great to see was people doing a mix in the same dance. I know some people were concerned that they might be required to abandon the blue blanket of hanging onto to someone else, but it was so easy going... you did whatever you wanted to do and for change lone dancers strutting their stuff on the floor weren't thought of as a little strange, but were just seen as entering into the spirit of the evening.

Of course there were more women that men as by definition this kind of night is always going to appeal to the ladies, but I don't think we had a single complaint about the gender balance as the ladies just got up and boogied when they wanted to - and in some cases I think they actually preferred to dance by themselves to some tracks!

Finally the other promising aspect of the night for us was the number of non partner dancers who seemed to really enjoy the night. We always believed that this kind of night would be a great way of introducing new people to the partner dance scene as they could experience the concept without feeling threatened. It's too early to say, but based on the feedback on the night I think some of those that attended will go onto try the full MJ experience.

We need to check dates and stuff but based on the response I think the feeling is that we will run another S'Funk night in or around the 1st quarter of next year.

Thanks again to those of you who helped to create the atmosphere - the ensemble singing and dance routines were a joy to behold and made the evening memorable for us. Here's to Son Of S'Funk in 2008!

David, Val and Vince.
    Last edited by Rocky; 25th-November-2007 at 03:59 PM.

Re: S'Funk Aftermath reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    ... but where is the Rare Grooves - and the occassional contemporary soul tune?. This is of course just my view!
    Let's have some suggestions Jivelad and if they're danceable we'll definitely try and include some next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Fear of dehydration forced me to the bar for refreshments and I spotted Rocky. I managed to grab him from behind and have a tweak of his nipples. I was expecting the usual 'cupping' experience of his moobs, but the trappy old git seems to have lost a shed load of weight lately so I had to make do with a tweak of his nips instead. I'm pleased to say he wasn't interested in returning the favour.
    Just for the record.. I've never had moobs and also no matter how fat I get I'm unlikely to get them as unlike some men I don't really put fat down in that area of my body. Muffin top yes, moobs, no!

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Now I've had time to think about this a bit more, I've realised what appealed to me so much. There's elements of a night of handbagging that you just don't get from a whole night of MJ (and visa versa).. I'm not talking about the actual dance styles (that's obvious) but i'm talking about the atmosphere that's created..

When you partner dance, its very insular, which can be fabulous as we all know but you miss the community atmosphere, where everyone comes together. There's something very uplifting about singing your heart out with a group of people who also, know the words.

Contrary to people might think, IMO there's still a lot of lead and follow involved, watching the people around you and tuning into how they're dancing interpreting the music, its great fun to copy and join in!

A bit more pure cheese for the future wouldn't go a miss. I think we should make the effort and learn a dance like 'The bus stop' before we get there its easy peasy and IMO would be a good laugh!
    Spot on Lory! And the Bus Stop is a great idea - with about 4-6 months inbetween events we do have the opportunity of having a featured dance for people to practice. So for the next S'Funk (date to be confirmed) it WILL be The Bus Stop. Have a look at the link and get practising, as Lory says it's 'easy peasy'.. well relatively easy...

Blog Entries

to all the good comments so far.
    Congrats to Rocky (for your set as well as losing the moobs ) and SF.

FWIW, I didn't think that there was too much Disco. In fact, you may have heard those more 'cheesy' soul tracks in every disco, but they're still soul.

More of the same please

BTW, I've never danced without someone to hold onto without 10 pints inside me, but thanks to Cruella (g1t ) and great music, I did my best embarrassing dad shuffle for a few songs .

Bang on night absolutley bang on danced like a lunatic and Trouble and I left a little early so missed our favourite track----someone elses guy,

Best sight of the night---Double Trouble thong giving it large, nice arse Sam, looked good, but funny as fcuk as well.

XXX XXX DTS Dave

I hope the dusting off of these tracks spun at S'funk, sorry - The Bus Stop ? - will have a knock on effect of more of this type of music being played at mainstream modern jive nights.

It's the "feel good factor"

Blog Entries

well i must agree with the majority. I absolutly adored the night we had here and all due respect to Silver fox for his great sets and rocky of course for giving me one of the best dances nights ive had in a long long time.

I could not sit down. Even thought there was a shortfall in numbers it didn't matter in the slightest. The music was so good that you just had to get up and boogie on down. I even noticed that everybody (like the Peter Kay stand up video) was dancing even before they got on the dance floor like they do at weddings myself and sis included.

I am gutted that i left early, had an attack of bad tummy since thursday and didn't stop for my unexpected Friday night attendance. So we missed ooops oppp side ya head and by the sounds of it many continued great songs.

Did not have a bad dance all night. Not one. Sis i would advice chucking trousers away, my eyebrows have burnt off.

Jive lad was a sport as he always is, i managed to grab Rocky who without a doubt is one of the hightlight dancers for me. Miguel where were you all night, got a cuddle coming in but didn't get to dance with ya.!! Gav - absolutely adorable to dance with and now he has his 8 pack...ooo errr missus..

Anyway - fantastic night guys and Mac thanks very much for inviting us.xxxxx

Thread Information