Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The ceroc market

Back to the ceroc marketing...
    Don't know if this has been tried, but if a comprehensive package could be put together that was for {eg} a beginner's workshop with a month's worth of entry into a venue, a handfull of them could be "given" to the local radio station as a giveaway prize.
    (Northsound1's breakfast DJ has been given complementary diving lessons and has got hooked - he plugs them every morning. If Ceroc could get someone like that to plug their wares then I can only see good things from it. Poss have a local DJ "guest" at party nights?)

Talking of party nights, and the previous suggestion of themed nights, why not theme the music/lessons of some of the monthly party nights?

BTW anyone playing/dancing to "L.A.X." yet?

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Gadget
    Yes, JB at Hipsters, and Ceroc at Hammersmith recently, but there are different mixes/endings just to confuse.

Greg

Re: Re: Re: Re: The ceroc market

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard (re: my comment that DJ's stick to "disco" style tracks)

Sorry dont agree with that statement I know I can play whatever style of music is required on a modern dance night swing or modern, and from reading this forum so can most of the other DJ's
    Who are these DJ's you are refering to.......
    Actually, I think I should retract my statement - there are Swing/Jive events I can think of where the "modern jive" hall had, maybe two tracks from the last ten years over the course of an evening, but it was a while ago, and I think things have got a lot better over the last two years or so. [It did seem to be that there used to be a real attitude of "modern music is all crap compared to swing, so why make an effort?" a while back].

My problem is I've cut down radically on going out dancing (for safety's sake, we now do a lot of practice in gyms etc.), so most of my dance memories are a while out of date. Mea culpa. :sorry

I have played this at a lot of venues including Hipsters, Camber, Rock bottoms Blackpool, and if you go to Dorking Halls Colin over-plays it, in fact it has become a standard at his venue.
    Alluding to my above comment - the reason I picked out Sandstorm was because I couldn't remember the last time I'd heard it played. But then I realised I'd only been out dancing about 3 times in the last 3 months!

Dave

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar
    Originally posted by Gadget

Yeah - they played it at the JiveMasters - think it was maybe John Brett - had a fab dance to it And Sandstorm was one of the tracks used in the heats.

And he also played the naughty naughty song...... where on earth did he discover that one
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Sheena
    And he also played the naughty naughty song...... where on earth did he discover that one
    No idea, a fun song, but I think I prefer The Big Swinging "Private Eye" (don't want to be sent upstairs!), at least it makes an attempt at a double entendre.

Greg

Next time I must remember not to sing along to it .

Neil

Commercial Operator
    JB seems to have a small supply of naughty, naughty songs, I'm claiming I can't quite hear the word clearly but whatever it is it's 'enormous'

I've heard these songs a few times now and am fighting the urge to sing along as there is such a thing as a false advertising claim...

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    JB seems to have a small supply of naughty, naughty songs, I'm claiming I can't quite hear the word clearly but whatever it is it's 'enormous'

I've heard these songs a few times now and am fighting the urge to sing along as there is such a thing as a false advertising claim...
    Yes, but for that dance I got a really kind of innocent looking man of about 60 years of age; not one of you lot who I wouldn't care about it with , but I actually felt really shy and embarassed (I know this doesn't happen often!).

This also happened when he played it at Beach Boogie and I got someone who didn't smile at the song and it all went kind of serious and we both danced as though neither of us had heard what was being sung. :sorry

In case anyone doesn't know which song Sheena is referring to, there is an mp3 available at the following URL:

http://mp3.washingtonpost.com/get_song?song_id=2819

Allan.

Thanks for the legal dl site

Originally posted by jiveclone
    In case anyone doesn't know which song Sheena is referring to, there is an mp3 available at the following URL:

http://mp3.washingtonpost.com/get_song?song_id=2819
    And to think all this time, I thought JB was telling us about his enormous playlist...

Dave

I played this at Hastings and only one couple danced - they thought they had their own cabaret, after the track ended I asked him what he thought of it "Great beat but funny start" was his reply, ......err what about the lyrics? I asked
    "Oh! I didn't listen to them" was the reply

That's ok but this guy (who is a mate of mine) has set himself as a DJ

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Pammy
    but I actually felt really shy and embarassed (I know this doesn't happen often!)
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is better to do it with someone you know.
    (I think I also had a stranger that night!)
    But musically there is a lot in that song, so it's easy (?) to just make it fun.)

G xx

Originally posted by Sheepman
    It is better to do it with someone you know.
    (I think I also had a stranger that night!)
    Keep your private life to yourself Sheepy and stick to the thread .

back to the discussion on the song

Commercial Operator
    .. but I actually felt really shy and embarassed (I know this doesn't happen often!).
    After doing the Beach Boogie Blues contest in no knickers I didn't think you could be embarassed

You certainly weren't shy...

After doing the Beach Boogie Blues contest in no knickers I didn't think you could be embarassed

Darn, such an innocent mistake, but it keeps tripping me up!

Mr McGregor, I think it would take more than you dancing without knickers to embarass Pammy ...or am I missing something..Pammy?

Wink

Would a martial arts centre meet your space/floor surface requirements?
    Well yes any place to practice would be fairly cool. I have a deal with a nightclub where we get to use the place for a small amount of cash, the catch is that its available to us only at 10am Sat. Most of the other expats in the group normally get blasted on a Friday night and only show up when they aren't hung over. Since I'm not charging for the lesson (its more an informal get together where I show a few dance moves to a few friends and people crazy enough to get up that early) I really can't complain since the room hire charge is dirt cheap.

BTW speaking of modern music I thought (dance to, listen to) Sash, alot of their music is cerocable, especially the songs 'Equador' and 'move mania'. Some other favourites that I managed to trawl from the clubs CD's include good ole 'Kylie M' (being an Aussie how could I avoid her), the sugarbabes (mad man situation) and Ricky M (amor, are you ready for love). They're all fairly modern. Actually I found that on any of the 'party hits' type albums, at least half or more of the songs are cerocable. Cheers.

Commercial Operator
    Darn, such an innocent mistake, but it keeps tripping me up!
    You shouldn't leave them around your ankles

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Boomer
    Mr McGregor, I think it would take more than you dancing without knickers to embarass Pammy ...or am I missing something..Pammy?
    I was definitely wearing knickers. Absolutely everyone saw them when my dress rode up around my waist. I was oblivious to this fact until the music stopped

I gather that it's a common problem with dresses containing Lycra (tm). And it's made worse if you don't have curvy/womanly hips

Thread Information