Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The ceroc market

The ceroc market

I got the following off the ceroc.com website.

"Ceroc attracts a wide audience but these are predominantly single, professional men and women aged between 20 and 40 years. Our marketing strategy is targeted at the lower end of this age range to ensure a constant supply of "young blood" so that the product will not mirror the ageing process of its members"

I have one question. If they want "young blood" then why do venues play so much Granny music. There are a lot of brilliant dancable songs on the radio and yet you never hear anything at ceroc nights that is younger then a year old (and that is usually only for the first few songs).

I don't have anything against Rock n Roll music or dancing but that style is not for me and trying to adapt Ceroc to fit it is just depressing.

I would love it if there was just one venue that played up to date chart and club music all night. There are also loads of 70's and 80's songs that are great to dance to but you don't seem to hear them except for a few old standbys. I can go to the pub and hear track after track of great ceroc music but since I havn't been able to convince anyone to step out of their comfort zone and go out in public (shock, horror) other than a ceroc night, I can only sit and dream of a night out dancing where I don't feel like I am listening to a classic hits station.

Before anyone flames me on this, I am not asking for every franchise to do this. If there was just 1, yes thats right 1, franchise, I would be happy. Of course there are plenty of pubs and clubs that play the music I like but no one seems to want to go and dance where there might be some non ceroc critical eyes.

Heres an idea, instead of organising busking days, why not just go out to a nightclub and dance for a while and hand out cards to anyone who is interested? If you are approachable people will come up and ask where you learned to dance.

Ok, that is my rant over, I should mention that I am heading towards the top end of the age range mentioned at the beginning of this post but I still don't see why I should have to dance to music my grandmother listened to..........

Hi Horsey Dude

This thread rings a few bells - wasn't something like this discussed a while back? maybe about the time I joined . . .

Others will probably be able to remember better, but I think some of the reasons for what you call (and I am inclined to agree, though maybe in not quite those words) 'granny music' is that most ceroccers seem to like it - though they will probably be outraged to hear it called that. I think the poroportion of ceroccers who go to serious modern 'clubbing' is quite small, or else mostly they go to clubs that play that sort of music.

Some Ceroc DJs are limited by budget (many ceroc DJs wait for albums with collections on to appear), but I think they say, with some justification, that it's more what the majority of people on the dance floor will dance to.

If I had a regular club with several nights a week I would try 'themed' nights to create a different atmosphere on different nights by the music played. (I used to be a night club manager many years ago - packing people in on an early weekday when they can go on a Thu or Fri instead is hard work!). The varied music themes formula works in Auckland Central for instance, but that doesn't mean it would work here. Also, if you have a venue with a large proportion of experienced dancers you can get away with a bigger range of music, whereas beginners prefer something with a steady and very recognisable beat.

I like dancing in clubs and used to hand out a lot of cards (just a list of venues and times, nothing 'official') but now I just go and dance. Although I like dancing to almost anything except the Birdy Song, I am a bit biassed (aren't we all when it comes to music?) - and tend (for Ceroc dancing) to favour tunes that are neither more than a month or two old and are not in the style of tunes that are old. Like everyone, I've got a few faves, but also particularly like dancing to music I've never heard before (especially if it's not more than two months old etc) or outstanding mixes of recent tunes.

There's also a point made by Bill I think that a lot of music played at Ceroc venues is a bit fast for most ceroccers and I tend to prefer records in the standard bpm range unless a) I'm dancing another style eg Blues for slow stuff - if I could dance rock and roll that would be my pref for fast stuff, or b) with a partner on a similar wavelength on 'technical' stuff on balance and things to allow fast execution of moves without lots of energy

Re: The ceroc market

Originally posted by horsey_dude
    I don't have anything against Rock n Roll music or dancing but that style is not for me and trying to adapt Ceroc to fit it is just depressing.

I would love it if there was just one venue that played up to date chart and club music all night

Horsey ... come up (down?) to the North West then A few clubs here think that 'Modern Jive' should play Modern music ... though we do seem to be in a minority!

Have you looked through the playlist threads in the DJ section? That may give you an idea of regional diffrences.

Re:Ceroc Market

Didnt realise this thread could be used instead of the post i sent (Sorry horsey dude).

Rather like the idea of a themed night provided it was not all that "particular theme". Wonder if Glasgow would do a Blues night with well known popular tunes. I dont know much about this music but would find it great to dance to and it just might give me time to recognise and hit the breaks occassionally. I presume it is slower???

I would imagine we would all get bored with the same music played but it seems to work itself out in general with a sensible DJ playing to what the dancers mostly want. The DJ should also be able to experiment with at least one in ten tunes his own choice. Some advanced dancers may wish tunes with less beat and more difficult to dance to tunes which is fine for some of the night. In London that might be the majority of the night i dont know. Perhaps the best DJ is able to gauge the percentage of intermeddiate/beginner/experienced/advanced at the dance and play accordingly. It is the ones who play entirely what they want and like it or lump it attitude that is bad for ceroc. Most cerocers find that rude i know i do. In repeated cases like that then i would vote with my feet and encourage others to do likewise. I would probably be asking for my money back though unless i was informed it was a "what the DJ likes night"

Re: Re:Ceroc Market

Originally posted by michael

Rather like the idea of a themed night provided it was not all that "particular theme". Wonder if Glasgow would do a Blues night with well known popular tunes.

I would imagine we would all get bored with the same music played but it seems to work itself out in general with a sensible DJ playing to what the dancers mostly want.

The DJ should also be able to experiment with at least one in ten tunes his own choice.

Perhaps the best DJ is able to gauge the percentage of intermeddiate/beginner/experienced/advanced at the dance and play accordingly.

It is the ones who play entirely what they want and like it or lump it attitude that is bad for ceroc.

Most cerocers find that rude i know i do. In repeated cases like that then i would vote with my feet

Wish I knew how to reply under each quote [I keep trying and getting it wrong (good job I dont DJ with a laptop!)
    someone please tell me how.

I would love to do a blues night in glasgow.

the DJ is there to play what the dancers want/can dance to

Every track is the DJ's choice

Whatever level of dancer you are you all pay the same money and should get music you can dance to and play with.

Agree about the lump it or leave it bit, but to vote with your feet means there must be a good alternative and perhaps dancing away from your regular crowd - better to vote with your voice and tell the organiser.

It is not uncommon to be DJ'ing and be asked for more swing/less swing, more pop/less pop, faster music/slower music, all in the same night but that is what we are there for.

so replies in order

The Dashing Moderator

Quotes

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    Wish I knew how to reply under each quote [I keep trying and getting it wrong (good job I dont DJ with a laptop!)
    someone please tell me how.
    Dear LL,

I had a go at answering a similar question about quotes in this post.

There are probably better explanations elsewhere :sorry

David
    Love dance, will travel

Commercial Operator

Re: The ceroc market

why do venues play so much Granny music. There are a lot of brilliant dancable songs on the radio and yet you never hear anything at ceroc nights that is younger then a year old (and that is usually only for the first few songs).
    I'm often confused about the marketing strategy of Ceroc, they say they're going for the youngsters, but they don't succeed at the venues I go to, so they're marketing is either failing or they're deluding themselves. I'm not at all sure that it is entirely down to the music anyway, I know a number of "early 20s" who are into all sorts of music, especially 70s.
    And I'm pretty confused about some of the things you've said, so please help me out. Please be a bit more specific about what you call "Granny Music". If you mean Rock 'n' Roll, I rarely hear that played (no complaints there). If you mean "Swing" there are so many modern swing bands, that it certainly isn't "old" music. (There are plenty of modern swing bands mentioned elsewhere on threads about swing and blues music).

I would love it if there was just one venue that played up to date chart and club music all night. There are also loads of 70's and 80's songs that are great to dance to but you don't seem to hear them except for a few old standbys.
    Even more confused, is it the recent chart stuff you are after, 70s, 80s, or both? And what's wrong with the 90's and other decades? Voila, you end up with a wide mix of music, just the sort of thing I look for in a venue. (Packs bag and heads for Hipsters.)

If there was just 1, yes thats right 1, franchise, I would be happy. Of course there are plenty of pubs and clubs that play the music I like but no one seems to want to go and dance where there might be some non ceroc critical eyes.
    Well as we've found elsewhere, most of us dancers aren't keen on pubs or clubs because of the smoke. I'm not a clubber, but my perception is of hours of earsplittingly loud, monotously similar music, all continuously mixed. Tiny crowded dancefloors, and getting ripped off at the bar. There are just too many better options around, so why bother?

I suppose the last "club" I did was Stringfellows (pre lap dancing days), the music was mostly dodgy 70s disco, did some jive in the tiny space available, with applause from the crowd, including Peter, but it couldn't compare with a dance night.

Now if someone can recommend a club that plays great music, plenty of space, and reasonable prices, and a night when there isn't something better on, then let's organise an outing!

And please reveal which radio stations you listen to, that play all this great modern dance stuff, 'cos I certainly haven't found them.

In anticipation . . .

Greg

Smile nights out in public

Well coming from cerocing in public in both Sydney and now in Singapore I found that it was cool to ask the DJ if he could play some party music and such that was in the 150 - 180 beats per minute. If the group of us provided enough entertainment the DJ would usaully keep the music within a good cerocable range.

We did find issue's though with dancing space, which is usually small and the blinking strobe lights,which throw off any hope that the lady might have of picking out a signal. People did tend o clear a bit of space for us at clubs when they saw that we were doing something that resembled proper dancing. In Singapore one tactic were've found to be successful is to semi-adopt a bar where we drop a bit of money at the place (in terms of drinks and food) and get to know the manager, DJ's etc. After that it was easy to have our requests to have tables moved to give us more dancing space and such met. We kept the good will by showing up once every 2-4 weeks and have a night out cerocing. However we do have a different problem here in that dancehalls etc are almost unknown and we also have no regular venue to practice! Practice space was never an issue in Sydney.

Re: nights out in public

Originally posted by Dr Fuzz
    However we do have a different problem here in that dancehalls etc are almost unknown and we also have no regular venue to practice! Practice space was never an issue in Sydney.
    Would a martial arts centre meet your space/floor surface requirements?

Re: Re: The ceroc market

Originally posted by Sheepman
    Please be a bit more specific about what you call "Granny Music". If you mean Rock 'n' Roll, I rarely hear that played (no complaints there). If you mean "Swing" there are so many modern swing bands, that it certainly isn't "old" music. (There are plenty of modern swing bands mentioned elsewhere on threads about swing and blues music).
    I think the real issue is the style of the music, rather than the actual date of composition. I would hate to have to consider Zoot Suit Riot as modern. Or an slightly different example - Kylie's "Your Disco Needs You" is very consciously in 80's style (what I call "disco"), although it came out 20 years later.

I guess what I'm saying is if the track wouldn't seem out of place in a 50's collection, it's not exactly modern, even if it was only written yesterday.

Especially with the DJ's who do both "swing" and "modern", I find their modern tracks tend to be very heavy towards the "disco" side - often tracks with a pounding 4/4 beat and not a lot else. They then decide there are no interesting modern tracks...

My best example of a really modern sounding track would be Sandstorm (Darude). Great track to dance to, played about once in a blue moon at jive venues. Other possible groups? Apollo 440, Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Daniel Beddingford have all done some good stuff IMHO. [And Jordan/Tatiana's WCS to NSync is my favourite dance performace of all time].

Dave

Pretty Green Eyes

This is one of my favourite 'crossover' tracks of late - so much going for it - you can dance a high energy ceroc hitting every beat to it; yet it's also that speed where, if you take each two beats as a single dance beat it can be danced as a ceroc ballad - then there's oodles of lovely breaks, a lovely lyric to draw inspiration from your partner's inspiring glance, and enough syncopation to pick and choose how you want to interpret the melody and rhythm.
    (I probably haven't explained that correctly but I know what I mean )

Posting while in a bad mood

I was in a bit of a bad mood when I wrote that post so perhaps I put my case a bit strongly. I can't blame fanchises for playing what (I presume) they find is most popular. I would vote with my feet and dance somewhere else if I knew anywhere that consistantly played music I like. There is a song I hear on the radio called something like "you're a superstar" and whenever I hear it I think wow that would be so great do ceroc to.... maybe in a couple of years I will start hearing it at ceroc nights.......

If there was any confusion about what I was looking for, I like 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's music that has what I think of as a ceroc beat. An example of that beat is what they play when the class is going. I notice that the tracks I don't like don't get played when the class is being taught, I thnk because they are so terrible to dance to that the teacher can't count though the moves.

Someone mentioned the cost of CD's. I would gladly donate some CD singles if I thought they would get played.

HD

Re: Re: Re: The ceroc market

Originally posted by David Franklin
    Especially with the DJ's who do both "swing" and "modern", I find their modern tracks tend to be very heavy towards the "disco" side - often tracks with a pounding 4/4 beat and not a lot else. They then decide there are no interesting modern tracks...
    Sorry dont agree with that statement I know I can play whatever style of music is required on a modern dance night swing or modern, and from reading this forum so can most of the other DJ's
    Who are these DJ's you are refering to.......
    Originally posted by David Franklin

My best example of a really modern sounding track would be Sandstorm (Darude). Great track to dance to, played about once in a blue moon at jive venues.
    I have played this at a lot of venues including Hipsters, Camber, Rock bottoms Blackpool, and if you go to Dorking Halls Colin over-plays it, in fact it has become a standard at his venue.
    I played Pattendorf - be cool and PPK - Resurection at BB but found more favour with Tall and Handsome by outragous.
    Peter

Oh. and David thanks for the info on how to split quotes
    Seemed right I should try it on one of yours
    p

Blog Entries

Re: Posting while in a bad mood

There is a song I hear on the radio called something like "you're a superstar" and whenever I hear it I think wow that would be so great do ceroc to.... maybe in a couple of years I will start hearing it at ceroc nights.......
    HD
    hi HD

If this is the song I think it is it's almost been and gone already!!.
    Was played every week (sometimes twice) at a (different franchise I admit) night I frequent for about 4 months solid while it was in the chart I guess and now makes the odd appearance.
    IMHO - looks like we have a working example of the UK / OZ NZ differences in taste and style here, I find it a good track to dance to with (no offence intended) "straight" dancers - loads of moves, nicely led but no er, finesse??, no change of pace, no real opportunities for playing with it.

Anyone agree?
    C

Re: Re: The ceroc market

As far as music goes, I guess it depends where you dance as to what is played, but at 28 years old, I can say that I love all sorts of music. A great night for me is somewhere that plays some really modern stuff, but also some older (and dare I say it, equally as inspiring) tracks. Songs like All That Jazz and Safronia B are hard to beat.

There are lots of great songs that have a good modern feel like...
    Pretty Green Eyes
    Phunk Phoolin
    Big Bro - Nu Flow
    Safri Dou Played Alive
    Jamiroquai Space Cowboy
    Sash Encore Une Fois
    Daniel Beddingfield Gotta Get Through This & James Dean
    Samantha Mumba Body-2-Body

But without the older stuff there is no real mix and I really feelyou need all sorts to make a good night.

As for Greg and Stringfellows!?! Erm, no comment !!

Originally posted by Chicklet
    IMHO - looks like we have a working example of the UK / OZ NZ differences in taste and style here, I find it a good track to dance to with (no offence intended) "straight" dancers - loads of moves, nicely led but no er, finesse??, no change of pace, no real opportunities for playing with it.

Anyone agree?
    Predictably perhaps I leap to defend the Kiwis - I think they have lots of musical interpretation - if you're in Edinburgh sometime let me know and pop over to see the NZ Champs video - fantastic for interpretation and the things you mention - there's a couple of incredibly flash aerials displays too, but not as mainstream as in Oz perhaps.

Ozzies and Kiwis rely a lot more (I think) on specific technique and specific leads. Nicky and Robert take this to extremes almost but it's a hell of a crowd pleaser if Jivemasters is anything to go by!

We're all one big family anyway, with a big range of styles and abilities and it is one the many things that makes it so interesting!

Blog Entries
    no need for a defence - there wasn't an attack!!

was merely commenting that, after all the theoretical discussions on (vive les ) differences here was an ACTUAL NZ making an ACTUAL comment about liking an ACTUAL piece of music that suits his style of dancing.

BTW have heard HD in person on the *italics* general *italics off* choice of music at nights around Scotland and his ACTUAL taste and style does come across as really quite different to the majority here....and I don't think he would deny it!!

The finesse comment is ref the song, not the dancer really!.

C

Commercial Operator
    While touring NZ last December I must admit we did hear some nice dance stuff on the radio, I wouldn't have called much of it "modern" though. I did find most of the radio stations quite MOR and sounding very similar. The most annoying thing (the same as most of them here) was that they NEVER, NEVER, (well hardly ever) mentioned the artist or title. One particular track we liked so much that we browsed radio web sites in search of it, but no joy. One name that springs to mind is Fiona McDonald (a nice track called Breathe? But there were better tracks of hers being played.) A great voice, but I can't find anything on her in these parts.
    Another fab piece of music was being used at the time on a TV ad, I think for a credit card, again, we couldn't find any details.

I spent hours browsing CD shops (especially in Wellington) came home with about 20 CDs and tapes, and there's just one decent dance track in the whole lot and this is a pretty old one (Atomic Cocktail).

Greg

Originally posted by Chicklet
    no need for a defence - there wasn't an attack!!
    No worries!

Thread Information