Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flummoxed Foreigners!

Re: Flummoxed Foreigners!

Some years ago when i had been in england for a short time i was invited on a date by this guy. We were going to see a ballet at fairfields hall, but due to some mix up we ended up seeing the Rocky Horrow show. The english were at places a bit beyond me so i turned to my date for explanation. At one point i turned to him and asked 'what does shag means'... The poor man went beet red in the face and i never did get an explanation out of him. He later dropped me back to the family where i worked as a nanny at the time. The next morning i asked my boss to explain.. The man also failed to explain and left for work very quickly afterwards and his wife told me later. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    perhaps it's more of a west-coast thing.

Someone who is "pass-remarkable" will often pass <snip>
    remarkably?

Gotta be a WCS swing joke there somewhere....

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Some years ago when i had been in england for a short time i was invited on a date by this guy. We were going to see a ballet at fairfields hall, but due to some mix up we ended up seeing the Rocky Horrow show. The english were at places a bit beyond me so i turned to my date for explanation. At one point i turned to him and asked 'what does shag means'... The poor man went beet red in the face and i never did get an explanation out of him. He later dropped me back to the family where i worked as a nanny at the time. The next morning i asked my boss to explain.. The man also failed to explain and left for work very quickly afterwards and his wife told me later. Lol
    I think its a bird that sits on rocks ??
    or is it a dance in carolina ??
    or maybe a kind of carpet LOL

An english guy has just been stationed up here in the RAF and joined my dive club. TOnight at teatime we were chortling about my telling off from the local inspector (photgraphic evidence) and I said, "I look really glay-kit* in that photo"

Queue the rather blank expression - we had to explain the "really scottish phrase"

* = not the correct spelling but don't know the correct one!

Quote Originally Posted by jeanag View Post
    * = not the correct spelling but don't know the correct one!
    Glaikit, I think
    Last edited by pmjd; 25th-November-2007 at 02:26 AM. Reason: added hyperlink

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    Glaikit, I think
    Thanks cool site too *pop* in to the favourites it goes.

At one point i turned to him and asked 'what does shag means'... The poor man went beet red in the face and i never did get an explanation out of him.
    I have strategy for those kind of words - if I don't understand a word, I'll assume it's rude (context dependent, obviously), so I make sure I only ask a person who I know would tell me what it is. Or not... because sometimes, it's really, really fun to see the English get all embarrassed

Not that I have done that to people with words I knew perfectly well...

An Eclectic Toaster

I'm finding this thread particularly amusing, having just read that this "flummoxed Englishman" contributed to England's woes last Wednesday, by firing the opposition up before the game even started.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    I'm finding this thread particularly amusing, having just read that this "flummoxed Englishman" contributed to England's woes last Wednesday, by firing the opposition up before the game even started.
    Yes, most amusing Also amusing that the papers demands for and celebrations of Mclarens sacking was front page news...for losing, by 1 goal, a football match against a team ranked higher than England...

Sir Ian Blairs sacking comments for incompetent policing that saw an innocent man killed is relegated to page 6 or whatever not as important, probably because there are plenty of Brazilians left or something

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We were going to see a ballet at fairfields hall, but due to some mix up we ended up seeing the Rocky Horrow show.
    OK, I'm still struggling to see how on Earth a ballet date could turn into a Rocky Horror date...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Yes, most amusing Also amusing that the papers demands for and celebrations of Mclarens sacking was front page news...for losing, by 1 goal, a football match against a team ranked higher than England...

Sir Ian Blairs sacking comments for incompetent policing that saw an innocent man killed is relegated to page 6 or whatever
    Football really is more important than a matter of life and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    probably because there are plenty of Brazilians left or something
    Brazillions of them. I know, it's an old one...

I wonder if our national obsession with our team doing badly also flummoxes foreigners?

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

As the creator of this thread, Football conversations are banned!! (If only I could ban it everywhere )

From last night...
    What's 'tardy'?

From this morning...
    "don't pass the bucket" I think "don't pass the buck" was what was intended.

Thread Information