View Poll Results: What day is your refuse collected etc ????

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • MONDAY

3 9.38%
  • TUESDAY

5 15.63%
  • WEDNESDAY

11 34.38%
  • THURSDAY

3 9.38%
  • FRIDAY

4 12.50%
  • WEEKEND ???

0 0%
  • Every Week

20 62.50%
  • Every Fortnight

5 15.63%
  • I have a wheelie bin

21 65.63%
  • I separate my rubbish

21 65.63%
  • I don't have my refuse collected

0 0%
  • Something else ??

3 9.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: The Rubbish Thread

The Rubbish Thread

We are getting some really silly threads lately, so I thought I would start one of my own Might even get to win the most boring thread for 2008 BFG awards

What day of the week is your refuse collected and do you have a wheely bin

And........... are you happy with your refuse collection
    Last edited by Minnie M; 21st-November-2007 at 06:24 PM.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Re: The Rubbish Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    We are getting some really silly threads lately, so I thought I would start one of my own Might even get to win the most boring thread for 2008 BFG awards

What day of the week is you refuse collected and do you have a wheely bin

OH Minnie you have just reminded me that I have forgotton to bring my wheelie bin after todays collection ,and as I am not going out tonight[ because I have hurt my big toe] I would have left it out all night. So there your are now, my domestic moments shared.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

just realised I have spelt wheelie bin wrong feel really silly - could some kind mod change it for me please

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Well, if you really want to know...

We have a three bin wheelie bin system, one for general, one for card/plastics, one for food and organics. The organics are collected every week, the general and recycle every other week. It's a reasonable system, but I've got three stonking great bins that I have to store, living on my own there's normally only a a tiny amount rattling around the bottom.

Boring enough for you?

2 bins:
    • Blue one for recyclables of paper, tins/cans and plastic;
      Black one for everything else;

Each emptied fortnightly, alternate weeks.

The village has a separate recycling area for bottles, card and clothes.

I have my rubbish collected every week. I don't have any recycling bins which is very annoying. I keep forgetting to complain to the Council so thanks for reminding me.

3 bins
    Black for general waste (though everyone else has a blue one!)
    Green for card, paper, plastic etc for recycling.
    Brown for garden waste.

Black and green/brown are alternate weeks. This does mean we need to sort, though I would anyway.

At work we have boxes for recycling paper in every office and someone collects and takes to the local council recycling once a week. We also have a organic waste bin in the kitchen which goes into a worm farm.
    Last edited by Lynn; 21st-November-2007 at 07:57 PM.

Living in a tenement block, we don't get the recycling and garden waste bins, which really annoys me! There's 8 flats in this close, and we'd all like to recycle our waste, just like people living in private houses!

After lots of people complained to the council, they've now put small recycling centers dotted around the neighbourhood. Unfortunately these are only for glass (clear/green/brown) and paper. They don't take card (which most of my paper recycling consists of, like cereal packets and other food packaging), cans or plastic. And the recycling stations are rather tiny. Anyway, it's better than nothing, I suppose.

Another thing that's really annoying is people who leave their wheelie bins out on the pavement the whole time, and never take them in. Grrrr. The council has actually started sending out 'bin inspectors' every week, to monitor who takes their bins in and out! You can now get a fine if you don't take your bin out to get emptied, and also if you don't take it back in after it's been collected. Hopefully this will help....

I talk a load of rubbish sometimes, so I thought this thread was one for me!!!

2 big wheelie bins, one for general, one for recycle. General gets emptied every week, recycle every 2 weeks.

I put as much as poss in the recycle. I have got so used to recycling, it would anoy me if I could not help out this way.

I do not have a garden rubbish bin, so I get a gardener in, and he deals with that side of things.

Old clothes, books and other stuff go to the Salvation Army. They do pick ups, so I wait until I have a reasonable pile, then call them.

Same as Martin: 2 wheelie bins, recycling collected fortnightly, rubbish weekly.

We can dispose of green waste (with limitations: no branches over 20cm diameter, no flax or bamboo - invasive weeds....) for free at the local rubbish and recycling place...they then mulch it and sell it back to us as leaf litter. However, these days I have compost bins, and Big Red the mulching machine, so little goes to green waste.

General rubbish can be disposed of there for about $20 per trailer-load (I think) with extra charges for things such as concrete and computers ($25 to dump an old CRT monitor )

Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin's Muse View Post
    General rubbish can be disposed of there for about $20 per trailer-load (I think) with extra charges for things such as concrete and computers ($25 to dump an old CRT monitor )
    Have you tried phoning the local council?
    In NSW you can leave big stuff out the front and arrange a day for the council to pick it up for free.

Where's the "I have no idea what day my rubbish gets collected" option?

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post

What day of the week is your refuse collected and do you have a wheely bin

Im leaving my company tomorrow and am tempted via e-mail to tell them what i really think of them

Was going to get a electronic link re 'exit interview' but got nothing

This i think is a 'rubbish' thing to do

Who know in 5yrs time i may come back ?

My leaving letter was for career progression/personal development

ps its wednesday

Thanks for this Minnie – you reminded me that I needed to order a new bag for recycling paper as my one disappeared last week, again

Recycling is collected on a Tuesday, think that other rubbish collection is done on a Wednesday, but could be a Thursday – have a wheelie bin for that, so just put rubbish out when I need to.

Our council collects paper (including cardboard), glass and plastics (which I seem to produce an obscene amount of ) and garden waste (though I don’t have a garden). There’s a recycling centre where you can take fabric and some other stuff too. Anyone know what to do with small and broken electronic items (scales, old phones) in terms of recycling? My council was rubbish (ha ha) when I asked them.

One thing that I have noticed is that since I’ve started recycling the plastic, it takes me forever to fill my kitchen bin (as it’s main food waste now – with no garden, I don’t have reason/space to compost), and often have to empty it before it’s full as it becomes a bit smelly.

Am due to get the kitchen redone soon (soon being a very elastic word in my case – been due to do it all year!) and am going to see if I can get some sort of recycling bin which will mean a smaller rubbish bin, plus receptacles for other waste (they go into an unsightly cardboard box in the kitchen at the moment). Has anyone else done this – or got any ideas?

Our rubbish is currently collected on a Monday.... BUT ...... the day of collection moves every time there is a bank holiday.... next bank holiday our collection will move one day later to Tuesday.... and this continues ad nausem.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Im leaving my company tomorrow and am tempted via e-mail to tell them what i really think of them
    Don't burn your bridges Stewart, it's never wise.

Ours is supposed to be collected on a Tuesday although whether they will actually pick it up that day is a bit of a lottery.

It is supposed to be alternative weeks, with a recycling collection on the alternative week. However because I live in a block of flats they are very reluctant to pick up any recycled material. They supplied one small box for 5 flats, which I managed to supplement with two other recycling boxes that somebody had thrown out near my office.

Gosh I am really surprised at the response to this thread - I thought it would die a death after 3 posts I have even had some rep from it

Not such a boring thread that I thought it would be

Thanks guys

--ooOoo--

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post

Am due to get the kitchen redone soon (soon being a very elastic word in my case – been due to do it all year!) and am going to see if I can get some sort of recycling bin which will mean a smaller rubbish bin, plus receptacles for other waste (they go into an unsightly cardboard box in the kitchen at the moment). Has anyone else done this – or got any ideas?
    Our two rubbish bins hide behind a door, and pull out on rails: rubbish emerges first, then recycling behind it. They're small, but that's all to the good as they don't get smelly.

Thread Information