View Poll Results: Did they know they were going to be smuggling drugs?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course they did.

7 46.67%
  • Of course they did!

7 46.67%
  • Probably not.

0 0%
  • Don't know.

1 6.67%
  • Don't care

3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drug smugglers

Drug smugglers

Here's the link to the report.

Answers on a postcard...

Re: Drug smugglers

Quick question. Your daughter is 16 and is telling you that 'a friend' is paying for a week holiday in Ghana with her friend. Plus 3 grants. Would you allow you child to go ?
    (I assume that in order to get out of the country on her own at that age, she needs parental permission to be signed off, right?)

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Quick question. Your daughter is 16 and is telling you that 'a friend' is paying for a week holiday in Ghana with her friend. Plus 3 grants. Would you allow you child to go ?
    (I assume that in order to get out of the country on her own at that age, she needs parental permission to be signed off, right?)
    No. Especially if one of the grants is Grant Mitchell.

(Is it me, or do the smiley icons keep swapping places...?)

Well they look shifty. I say string them up.

Lets face it...if you did know what you were doing you wouldn't hold your hands up and say "It's a fair cop". I blame the parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Given the poll options Barry's provided, he seems to agree with you!

Assuming the reports are accurate, I'd say they are either guilty or they are incredibly stupid. Of course, 'incredibly stupid 16 year olds' isn't anything near to being an oxymoron.

What were their parents thinking of letting young girls like that go so far away from home? I find it hard to believe that the girls didn't have a clue about what they were carrying, especially when so much is advertised about this sort of thing these days.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Agree that the parents should take some responsibility for this. How stupid are they?!

Isn't ignorance no defence in law? (Barry?)

Surely being given a package to carry and presumably being told to say "no" when asked at check in "has anyone given you anything to carry" should have alerted even the most naive 16 year old that there might be something amiss? I know it was a long time ago that I was 16, but I'd never have been so ignorant and stupid.

If someone offered me an all expenses paid trip to Ghana and £3k just to bring a package back to the UK I would know at once that the deal sounded too good for there not to be a catch. I have heard enough about this sort of thing on TV and in newspapers to be able to instantly see that this was a smuggling operation. It is hard to believe that, in this age of oddles of TV channels, radio news, and newspapers that someone in this country could not be aware that smuggling organistions recruit people to smuggle stuff for them.

Perhaps they think that they are the smart ones and they will be the smugglers that get away with it and they will have £3k free and clear afterwards. They are not deterred by the penalties because they think they won't get caught. When they are caught they suddenly feel that they have done something stupid. Suffering because of your own stupidity should always remain or else there is no incentive to avoid being stupid. There seems to be no end to the supply of people who are stupid, greedy or just plain desperate for these smuggling operations.

As for parents not having control over their children. I have often seen boys and girls of between 12 -13 out on their own in the Centre of Maidstone and the surrounding estates at about midnight as I have returned from local dances. If the parents can't, or won't control their children at 12-13 years of age then they are unlikely to alter much by the time they are 16.

I am sorry that these two girls are going to spend 3 years in a jail in Ghana having a not entirely pleasant time. I am also sorry for the people whose lifes are going to be dominated and harmed by the £600K of cocaine these girls were bringing into the UK. I am more sorry for all the people that have had their homes robbed or have been attacked and mugged so an addict can feed their addiction.

People get addicted to these drugs and that addiction pulls in all those people that grow, extract, smuggle, distribute, and protect the drugs trade. I can't see any part of the trade that doesn't leave misery in its wake.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

From that link:

In July, Yasemin told Channel 4 News from prison: "There were basically two boys over here who gave us two bags. We never thought anything bad was inside ... they told us to go to the UK and drop it off to some boy at the airport.

"It was basically like a set-up. They didn't tell us nothing, we didn't think nothing, because basically we are innocent. We don't know nothing about this drugs and stuff, we don't know nothing."
    Anyone guilty of so many grammatical crimes is capable of anything.

Seriously, it strains belief that they thought someone would give them £3K for carrying a bag, and not know that is was something dodgy. It's much more plausible that they knew and didn't care - and they didn't think they'd get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post

People get addicted to these drugs and that addiction pulls in all those people that grow, extract, smuggle, distribute, and protect the drugs trade. I can't see any part of the trade that doesn't leave misery in its wake.
    This is so true and drug abuse is becoming one of the main reasons why children are being made the subjects of Care Orders. It is so sad that there are children who will never know what it is like to live with their mum, dad or other family members because of the consequences of the drug taking behaviour of their carers.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Anyone guilty of so many grammatical crimes is capable of anything.
    exactly what I thought - call me a viscous pendant, if you will

Seriously, it strains belief that they thought someone would give them £3K for carrying a bag, and not know that is was something dodgy. It's much more plausible that they knew and didn't care - and they didn't think they'd get caught.
    I dunno, kids these days. You lot all say you would never have been that stupid, but I have to think back only 7 years and know that, yes, I knew 16 year olds who actually could be that stupid.

Having said that, I think the apathy and assumption that they wouldn't get into trouble is probably the most likely explanation here, and I hope this will start to serve as an example for similarly dumb-ass teenagers.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    I dunno, kids these days. You lot all say you would never have been that stupid, but I have to think back only 7 years and know that, yes, I knew 16 year olds who actually could be that stupid.
    Sure - people (all of us) can be incredibly dumb on occasion.

But it's much more likely that they thought they wouldn't be caught. Let's face it, all mules seem to use that "6Kg of Cocaine? Wow, I never noticed my luggage was a stone heavier, where'd all that come from?" line, it's the only defence they can use once they've been caught bang to rights.

Sure - people (all of us) can be incredibly dumb on occasion.
    Although children are more likely to believe in Santa, so to speak.

But it's much more likely that they thought they wouldn't be caught. Let's face it, all mules seem to use that "6Kg of Cocaine? Wow, I never noticed my luggage was a stone heavier, where'd all that come from?" line, it's the only defence they can use once they've been caught bang to rights.
    Good point - a laptop bag weighing 3kg is pretty obviously not "just a bag". Although it seems to me that you'd have to be pretty damn stupid not to realise such a bag wouldn't get through even the most cursory security check.

However you slice it, stupidity seems to be a major factor here.

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    However you slice it, stupidity seems to be a major factor here.
    Isn't stupidity the major factor in most unsuccessful criminal activity? Just as worrying levels of cunning are pretty common in successful ones (at least on any large scale).

I'd really like to feel sorry for these girls, but that's what happens if you are too desperate to get something for nothing - you end up getting a lot more of a 'something' than you bargained for.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

3 years is pretty lenient if you ask me even the daftest of pigmy tribes in some godforsaken (literally forgotten by the missionaries ) area of dense foliage know that someone giving you lots of something useful to you, in this case money, wants something in return for it....

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    ... I have heard enough about this sort of thing on TV and in newspapers to be able to instantly see that this was a smuggling operation. ...
    or a bomb?

2 16 year old girls from North London who doesnt know anything about drugs...... Come on!

What a load of toash, of course they knew that nobody would pay for them to have a free holiday in Ghana with a couple of grand on top for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

Lets face it...if you did know what you were doing you wouldn't hold your hands up and say "It's a fair cop". I blame the parents.

Although i have said in the past it makes good sence too legalise drugs but if there not legal then these two knew what they were doing

Commercial Operator

Put me into the "don't really care" camp.

I'm with DF on this - either they were stupid enough to knowingly take all the chief risks in a serious bit of drug-smuggling (that could get you executed in some parts of the world).
    Or they were stupid enough to carry a hefty package on an airplane for someone they knew nothing about, under the impression that it was all above-board (something your average lobotomised chihuahua probably wouldn't fall for).
    Whichever way I look at this, the phrase 'too stupid to live' keeps popping into my head. Look at it as a form of natural selection.

And yeah. Can we lock the parents up too please? If only to ensure they don't create any more similarly deficient progeny?

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Or they were stupid enough to carry a hefty package on an airplane for someone they knew nothing about, under the impression that it was all above-board (something your average lobotomised chihuahua probably wouldn't fall for).
    Whichever way I look at this, the phrase 'too stupid to live' keeps popping into my head. Look at it as a form of natural selection.
    I often carry heavy bags on to planes for people i know sod all about. Or think I do then find out I dont

Ex gf ex wives etc

Your right in future women to carry all there own stuff

Thread Information