Thread: Dancing to music you are not fond of...

Dancing to music you are not fond of...

When I go to events or classes, I go because of the social , the dancing and the music.
    However I do have a problem when asked to dance to music I am not particularly fond of....I find it really difficult to 'get into it' and enjoy the dance and indeed try and give a good dance to the partner.
    Of course, it would be rude and disrespectful to say to someone who has just asked me 'sorry, not into this track , shall we try later' ... or would it????

So, does anyone else suffer from this ....any advice or discussion/feedback would be most welcome.

Re: Dancing to music you are not fond of...

Quote Originally Posted by jemessex View Post
    When I go to events or classes, I go because of the social , the dancing and the music.
    However I do have a problem when asked to dance to music I am not particularly fond of....I find it really difficult to 'get into it' and enjoy the dance and indeed try and give a good dance to the partner.
    Of course, it would be rude and disrespectful to say to someone who has just asked me 'sorry, not into this track , shall we try later' ... or would it????

So, does anyone else suffer from this ....any advice or discussion/feedback would be most welcome.
    Simply say, I do not like this track.. if the next one is better I would be pleased to dance with you.

Have a chat for 3 mins, then if the next track is a good one, go off and dance.

Sometimes, with my fave dancer, we give up , come off the floor and wait for the next track.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post

Sometimes, with my fave dancer, we give up , come off the floor and wait for the next track.
    likewise....bit difficult in competition though ...

likewise....bit difficult in competition though ...
    Competitions are a whole different ball game, though. One piece of advice I was given for when preparing for competitions was to practise dancing to music you don't like as well as music you do like. That way you'll become a more well-rounded dancer, especially if you try to get into the music even though it's not really to your taste.

Focus on your partner

"This is probably a mistake, but would you like to dance?" ~ me asking a really good dancer to dance to a track I really didn't like; had a great time

I really struggle with this as well - if the track has nothing to inspire or energise me then all the magic disappears and I feel like I'm just walking through moves.

With enjoyable partners I suggest waiting for a better track. With non-enjoyable partners I'll often dance the lousy track because I know it's going to be a not-so-great dance anyway (ooh, that sounds a bit harsh, doesn't it?!)

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think, if you're asked to dance, you should mostly say yes even if you don't like the music - you may be pleasantly surprised. Sometimes it's good to get out of your comfort zone.

Of course, it would be rude and disrespectful to say to someone who has just asked me 'sorry, not into this track , shall we try later' ... or would it????.
    As always, it depends.

I think it would be the height of rudeness to refuse on this basis, then accept a dance with someone else for that track. Also, if you refuse on this basis, I think you should look that person up later to ask for a dance.

To me, the only fixed rule is that you should be considerate towards others' feelings. Everything else is subject to circumstance.

If I'm really not into the song, I tell the person! It can be difficult to enjoy the dance if the music really does nothing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    Competitions are a whole different ball game, though. One piece of advice I was given for when preparing for competitions was to practise dancing to music you don't like as well as music you do like. That way you'll become a more well-rounded dancer, especially if you try to get into the music even though it's not really to your taste.

Comps are different...

Depends who, where and when. I also rarely refuse – I will occasionally postpone a dance though.

Who – I'm more likely to not postpone a dance with someone I don't know well – friends understand these things better.

Where – I'm more likely to not postpone a dance when I'm dancing away from home – I may not get another chance to dance with this person, and I want to appear friendly.

When – I'm more likely to not postpone a dance when I'm time constrained – at weekenders or at regular venues there's likely to be another chance later/tomorrow/next time.

All that holds for other reasons why you might postpone a dance – such as taking a rest, etc...

As for dancing to music you don't like – I find myself doing that a fair bit. I find that by concentrating on the dance, and dancing to the music, I don't actually hear the music in the same way, and so it's often more bearable to dance to music I don't like than to not dance but still have to listen to it.

I have been known to leave the room when music I both don't like and don't like dancing to comes on.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Flicts View Post
    I really struggle with this as well - if the track has nothing to inspire or energise me then all the magic disappears and I feel like I'm just walking through moves.

With enjoyable partners I suggest waiting for a better track. With non-enjoyable partners I'll often dance the lousy track because I know it's going to be a not-so-great dance anyway (ooh, that sounds a bit harsh, doesn't it?!)

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I have been known to leave the room when music I both don't like and don't like dancing to comes on.

Often I'll take a really poor song as a good time for a T-shirt change, get a drink or such. Saying that, as I think Ducasi once said, it's better to dance to a song you don't like that to sit out and listen to a song you don't like.

I hate Now That I Can Dance but I recently had a really lovely dance to it. I was dancing with one of my favourite partners and I was just determined to make the most of the dance; really glad that I did.

So I guess I'd dance to it (if someone asks me), the music is only part of the dance. Like Ducasi stated in his post, though, there are a lot of factors in it. If it's been a poor set I'm more likely to dance to any old crap (as that's as good as it is going to get) if the set is frickin' awesome then I'd probably go somewhere else for that track (assuming I'm not asked) knowing that a good track will be coming up again soon.

I'm totally with you on both of those Miss Flicts! And like Martin commented - that second line is just fantastic!!!

I agree with Killingtime - when I can't stand a track, I'll use it as 3 and a half minutes to freshen up & grab a drink. There are very few tracks I dislike so much that I will plain refuse to dance with anyone and/or leave the room, however, Michael Buble - Save the last dance for me is exactly one of those. Yeh, thanks Buble - Ruin the last dance for me! (many DJs I hear seem to unamusingly play this for last dance of the evening...)

Still got respect for the DJs though - so many people have such hugely varying tastes in music I would find it impossible to believe that every dancer would enjoy every track played by any DJ on any given night.

I really couldn't have said it any better myself, particularly the second paragraph. I must also admit that if one of my absolute favourite tracks come on (which is often quite challenging music that I enjoy 'playing' to), I'd rather sit out than dance with someone with no musicality whatsoever. Like dancing with a ceroc beginner to a tango track.... *Shudder*

Yeah, go on - call me a hotshot!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    I really couldn't have said it any better myself, particularly the second paragraph. I must also admit that if one of my absolute favourite tracks come on (which is often quite challenging music that I enjoy 'playing' to), I'd rather sit out than dance with someone with no musicality whatsoever. Like dancing with a ceroc beginner to a tango track.... *Shudder*

hotshot

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post

You are not a hotshot... It can be murder dancing to a fab track, with someone who has no musicality.

In the same way it can be murder dancing with a fab dancer , with a boring song.

I am happy to dance to boring music, with a beginner or an intermediate, the fun is had from them enjoying the dance... hence I also enjoy it.

But I will not dance to Kylie with a fave dancer...

You don't have to say yes if you hate the track. Just say "lets do the next one".

There are some song I hate and there are the quick ones. I don't have a problem with the quick ones as I do like them but I generally always get asked by someone who can't handle the pace, forcing me to radically change the dance. Urgghh...

Dancing to music that I do not like defeats the purpose of dancing for me. As a result I will stop going to dances that have played a lot of unenjoyable music repeatedly and can also lead to at least temporary suspension of a dance style. Dancing to music I don't like equals to reading a book without text.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    You are not a hotshot...
    Thank you!

It can be murder dancing to a fab track, with someone who has no musicality.

In the same way it can be murder dancing with a fab dancer , with a boring song.
    Indeed, that's exactly how I feel about it. I am absolutely happy to dance with beginners/intermediates to bland pop music, and can have lots of fun doing so!

Thread Information