Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dancing with the same sex?

Dancing with the same sex?

Women dance with women all the time yet somewhat strangely men tend to not go within five miles of each other on the dancefloor. But why?

For the record (before anyone asks) I am straight but I just think if more men danced as followers (ie lead by another man/or women) then surely they will respect what followers have to do and then hopefully adjust and improve their lead to accommodate. And if the leads improve then the followers (whether male or female) should improve. Well that's my theory.

So do you think they're should be more same sex dancing, especially with men or is this far to taboo for us guys to talk about?

The Forum Legend

Re: Dancing with the same sex?

Yeah. It's taboo. I'd never dance with another man. Ever.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

THIS THREAD shows its not as taboo as you might think
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't dance with men socially - I mean, why? They're sweaty, smelly, hairy creatures.

I would and do dance with men in classes - last night there were 2 men over so I did the follow with a beginner guy (poor guy), me being the follow. It was great - following's nice and easy

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    You know... you typed that with such a straight face, I almost believed you

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    For the record (before anyone asks) I am straight but I just think if more men danced as followers
    The implication there is that when women dance with other women they're NOT straight. Or is it simply that you associate men dancing with homosexuality . Dancing with someone of the same sex does not mean you want to shag them anymore than dancing with someone of the opposite sex does

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    The implication there is that when women dance with other women they're NOT straight. Or is it simply that you associate men dancing with homosexuality . Dancing with someone of the same sex does not mean you want to shag them anymore than dancing with someone of the opposite sex does

No matter how it might appear in the blues room

Steve - you might want to have a quick perusal of the many other discussions that have been had on here on this subject to get a flavour of the many and varied opinions to inform your discussion

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post

No matter how it might appear in the blues room
    And

I think there is a disparity in assumptions though - we are used to the notion of women dancing together from a background of wars and old age which both produce a shortage of men, whereas for two men to be dancing together there is no commonly understood cause than being gay. At a Glasgow party night earlier this year (held at the local University Student Union) I was standing just outside the dance room when one of the students wandered past (drunk) and stopped to watch two of the male regulars dancing together. The student seemed a bit surprised but clearly didn't want to be seen as judgemental so commented to me (can't remember his exact words but along the lines of) "isn't it great that he feels comfortable enough to dance with his boyfriend in public, they look really good together". I pointed out that actually he was feeling comfortable enough to dance with MY boyfriend in public!*

* But agreed that they did look really good together
    Last edited by LemonCake; 14th-November-2007 at 01:06 PM.

men tend to not go within five miles of each other on the dancefloor. But why?
    I dunno where you dance but I see men dancing together all the time. Forumites such as DTS, Jamie, Woodface, Stoke Bloke, Andy McGregor, Under Par, Martin Harper and Gav all dance with each other and any other bloke that will have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I dunno where you dance but I see men dancing together all the time. Forumites such as DTS, Jamie, Woodface, Stoke Bloke, Andy McGregor, Under Par, Martin Harper and Gav all dance with each other and any other bloke that will have them.
    Around Cheshire. I have seen it about 3 or 4 times in as many years. And one of them was myself. It just isn't don't around here and the funny looks I got when I did it was a bit disturbing like it shouldn't have been happening or something.

Blog Entries

Around Cheshire. I have seen it about 3 or 4 times in as many years. And one of them was myself. It just isn't don't around here and the funny looks I got when I did it was a bit disturbing like it shouldn't have been happening or something.
    Sounds like Norfolk. That's why I moved to London

(Nothing to do with a certain beautiful woman, job or family ).

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't care what anyone says, IMHO there's still differences.

I've personally had a lot extremely intimate and sexy blues dances with some of the fabulous girl leads on the scene and felt totally comfortable about it, as I know they have too! (you know who you are girls! )

But I doubt very much any 'straight' men could do this??

I think 99% of men still need an excuse! Either to do it for the experience of following to pick up tips on technique etc. or they do it to entertain the onlookers and its usually very slapstick and comical.

We on the other hand, simply enjoy whole experience uninhibitedly! And if the music dictates, we're not afraid to get up close.

Girls definitely go all out to make the dance 'feels' nice for each other but I can't say i've ever seen this quality between men when they're dancing together.

Come to think of it, the men I most like dancing with, dance with me like the girls do!
    Last edited by Lory; 14th-November-2007 at 03:19 PM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

And I'd never dance with two men. Not ever. Ever!

It seems to me that Steven666 has made many assumptions about men dancing with men. If he want's to dance with another man he should just do it. How other people react is their business.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Come to think of it, the men I most like dancing with, dance with me like the girls do!
    Us girls know where each other's buttons are

Who cares? Do what ever you like. Although why you would want to dance with some hairy arsed stubbly faced man when you can dance with us sweet smelling, soft skinned, feminine types, I don't know.

good there not enough men to go around as it is i'm allways staning out waiting for a dance

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I wouldn't dance with men socially - I mean, why? They're sweaty, smelly, hairy creatures.
    and woman arn't of cause

Just add a few more names
    BARMPOT
    my Joe
    Elliot
    Paul SWAS
    Ringo & Star
    Gerry

Gerry seems to be realy enjoying following

One good word that springs to mind

B0!!0cks!

live and let live

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I don't care what anyone says, IMHO there's still differences.

I've personally had a lot extremely intimate and sexy blues dances with some of the fabulous girl leads on the scene and felt totally comfortable about it, as I know they have too! (you know who you are girls! )

But I doubt very much any 'straight' men could do this??

I think 99% of men still need an excuse! Either to do it for the experience of following to pick up tips on technique etc. or they do it to entertain the onlookers and its usually very slapstick and comical.

We on the other hand, simply enjoy whole experience uninhibitedly! And if the music dictates, we're not afraid to get up close.

Girls definitely go all out to make the dance 'feel' nice for each other but I can't say i've ever seen this quality between men when they're dancing together.

I seem to rember a dance between Jamie and BARMPOT at Wolverhampton I wonder if Jamie does

Its a shame you didn't see 'that dance' between two forumties at Southport in the main room at about 4 in the morning

you know who you are guy's and it was a privilage to watch

I remember making a certain 'Fletcherett' dancing blues with me at Hammersmith some time ago, and made her move out of her comfort zone and I remember saying its just a dance 'get over it' she hasn't looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post

And I'd never dance with two men. Not ever. Ever!

It seems to me that Steven666 has made many assumptions about men dancing with men. If he want's to dance with another man he should just do it. How other people react is their business.
    If you bother to read read up a bit you will see that I have. And I didn't imagine the looks I got I can assure you.

Who cares? Do what ever you like. Although why you would want to dance with some hairy arsed stubbly faced man when you can dance with us sweet smelling, soft skinned, feminine types, I don't know.
    To follow. Not to get half a follow then asked to take over as they have run out of moves. As much as I reassure them that I want moves repeated and don't mind, it doesn't work.

To follow. Not to get half a follow then asked to take over as they have run out of moves. As much as I reassure them that I want moves repeated and don't mind, it doesn't work.
    I think it must be your location, as there are plenty of women leads in this part of the country.

I think it must be your location, as there are plenty of women leads in this part of the country.
    There are a good few but they aren't that willing. Especially to lead a newbie(ish) follower.

Thread Information