Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Should you challenge?

Commercial Operator

Re: Should you challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

I'm sorry but it so looks like it was written by a seven year old writing their address - all that's missing is "The Universe"
    I remember chatting with Adam Nathanson about this. He did it because there was a UK Blues Championship (or some such name) at Beach Boogie on the Isle of Wight. His reasoning was that, if they can give a national prize at a dance holiday he can give a world prize. I suppose that anybody in the world could have entered.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Go on ... name the ones you think are World Champion ...
    I could name 3 forumites who've held this title for a start, but maybe that would be naming & shaming?

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post
    I could name 3 forumites who've held this title for a start, but maybe that would be naming & shaming?

Greg
    I'm intrigued. Technically speaking (per Olympic style rules) you can only hold a World Championship of you have a single World organisation. Technically you could hold a World Ceroc Championship if Ceroc UK, Ceorc Aussies, Ceroc & MJ Aussie and Cer4oc NZ came to an agreement. No chance of holding a world MJ competition ... we can't even hold a unified UK MJ Competition.

So .... name the three and less us all give praise

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    He did it because there was a UK Blues Championship (or some such name) at Beach Boogie on the Isle of Wight.
    I thought it was a "National Blues Championship". Because the Isle of Wight is actually a seperate nation...

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    I thought it was a "National Blues Championship". Because the Isle of Wight is actually a seperate nation...
    So as Australia is part of the British Empire then the Ceroc Aussie Champs are actually only a Regional competition?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

I'm sorry but it so looks like it was written by a seven year old writing their address - all that's missing is "The Universe"
    Like Andy says, you need to put it in its historical context to understand the humour.

Commercial Operator

I'm intrigued. Technically speaking (per Olympic style rules) you can only hold a World Championship of you have a single World organisation.
    This is rubbish. There is not a single world organisation for boxing but boxing is in the Olympics.

This is rubbish. There is not a single world organisation for boxing but boxing is in the Olympics.
    Strong words ... my belief was based on the problems Taekwando had to get recognised and the ongoing problems for Karate. The following statement may hekp to illustrate
    "There is good reason to believe it was this division that led to the long and bitter rivalry between the World Union of Karate-do Organizations (WUKO) and the now-defunct International Amateur Karate Federation (IAKF) for International Olympic Committee (IOC) recognition as the international governing body for amateur karate and the right to oversee all karate competitions at future Olympic Games."

The key aspect is AMATEUR. I know there are three or so professional boxing bodies .... but its all down to the IOC recognising a single amateur body. Boxing as admitted in the early 1900s so maybe this rule wasn't in place ... but without a single body how would you agree who goes through and what criteria? Seems fairly sensible. If I'm wrong, I apologise ... if I'm not I'm sure will apologise young Andy?

Commercial Operator

Strong words ... my belief was based on the problems Taekwando had to get recognised and the ongoing problems for Karate. The following statement may hekp to illustrate
    "There is good reason to believe it was this division that led to the long and bitter rivalry between the World Union of Karate-do Organizations (WUKO) and the now-defunct International Amateur Karate Federation (IAKF) for International Olympic Committee (IOC) recognition as the international governing body for amateur karate and the right to oversee all karate competitions at future Olympic Games."
    Gus is arguing from the particular to the general. He has used a single observation to imply a general rule. It is simple to prove that a general rule does not apply - it only takes a single observation to the contrary to prove that assumption of a general rule is incorrect.

All the Olympic Committee did for Taekwondo was choose a single organisation from those claiming to represent Taekwondo. They chose the World Taekwondo Federation. The other organisations within Taekwondo didn't cease to exist, they just had nothing to do with the Taekwondo at the Olympics.

I have no idea about the politics of Karate or the reasons the Olympic Committee have not selected a world organisation to represent Karate. Perhaps there's some behind the scenes politics.

The key aspect is AMATEUR. I know there are three or so professional boxing bodies .... but its all down to the IOC recognising a single amateur body.
    This is exactly what I said above. They just need to recognise a single amateur body. There could be more than one body. All they Olympic committee need to do is choose one of them.

This is very different from what Gus originally said:

Technically speaking (per Olympic style rules) you can only hold a World Championship of you have a single World organisation.
    You do not need to have "a single world organisation" if the Taekwondo example is correct. You just need to choose one from the many.

If I'm wrong, I apologise ... if I'm not I'm sure will apologise young Andy?
    It seems that you are wrong Gus. However, there is no apology required. Were debating ideas and assumptions, not calling each other names or lookin' at each other's birds

Commercial Operator

Erm...yes there is. Boxing in the Olympics is at amateur level, and is under the Rules of AIBA, which is the International Amateur Boxing Association. At professional level there are currently four boxing organisations, namely the WBA, WBC, IBF, and the WBO. None of these has any jurisdiction over the olympics.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Erm...yes there is. Boxing in the Olympics is at amateur level, and is under the Rules of AIBA, which is the International Amateur Boxing Association. At professional level there are currently four boxing organisations, namely the WBA, WBC, IBF, and the WBO. None of these has any jurisdiction over the olympics.
    This is probably true. However, I know it isn't the case for Taekwondo. There are at least two international organisations representing Taekwondo. I know of the *** and the ITF. I used to be a member of the ITF which, I remember, had a longer walking stance than the ***. I think there were other organisations that claimed to also represent Taekwondo. All the Olympic Committee did was select one of them. I expect it was made easy for them as Taekwondo was the exhibition sport when the Olympics were in Korea - *** is the Taekwondo organisation that is run by the Korean government.

edit for some reason W T F has been asterisked. It stands for World Taekwondo Federation

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

edit for some reason W T F has been asterisked. It stands for World Taekwondo Federation
    Also stands for "What The F***" - I think the auto-censor also dislikes F F S, for similar reasons.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Also stands for "What The F***" - I think the auto-censor also dislikes F F S, for similar reasons.
    It's the nanny state gone mad. I'm sure you can get a three word insult from any organisations abbreviation if you put your mind to it.

It's the nanny state gone mad. I'm sure you can get a three word insult from any organisations abbreviation if you put your mind to it.
    Some three-letter organisations are insults already.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Dear DJ

Thanks for the tip off.

I am now being boffed by Brad because Angelina is always exhausted.

Keep it up.

Cheers

Astro (size 8)

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There was a point to this thread at some time, wasn't there?

Don't be silly

Commercial Operator

All treads end up like this. I think it's called convergent evolution or something

i.e. it's not the thread that's the point, it's the needling...

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Dear DJ

Thanks for the tip off.

I am now being boffed by Brad because Angelina is always exhausted.

Keep it up.

Cheers

Astro (size 8)
    Ok Quick Quiz

Which is it, A B or C? *

A - I'm collaborating with DJ to mislead people.

B - I have no idea whether DJ is boffing Angelina or not, but I've stepped on the bandwagon to make myelf look good.

C - I've overexaggerated of made a joke that most forumites would get, but others who don't know me, may take it as literal truth.

* Admittedly the Jolie/Pitt example is a bit OTT, but imagine a more plausible scenario.

Thread Information