Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dancing with the same sex?

Re: Dancing with the same sex?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    There are a good few but they aren't that willing. Especially to lead a newbie(ish) follower.
    Time to move location, or time to not worry about what others think.

I am straight, I dance with straight men, gay men, straight women, gay women, single women, single men, married men, married women... Blues, sexy, normal, comical, lifts and drops or just plain mucking around... It is just dancing.

In my opinion anyone who is looking to teach should be able to both lead and follow well, before they try to instruct both leaders and followers.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Who cares? Do what ever you like. Although why you would want to dance with some hairy arsed stubbly faced man when you can dance with us sweet smelling, soft skinned, feminine types, I don't know.
    I mean, what's the point?

To follow. Not to get half a follow then asked to take over as they have run out of moves. As much as I reassure them that I want moves repeated and don't mind, it doesn't work.
    I'm still not convinced. Social dancing isn't practice time, it's social dancing. If you want to learn to follow, you should learn - by practice and work. Social dance time is fun time.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Time to move location, or time to not worry about what others think.

I am straight, I dance with straight men, gay men, straight women, gay women, single women, single men, married men, married women... Blues, sexy, normal, comical, lifts and drops or just plain mucking around... It is just dancing.

In my opinion anyone who is looking to teach should be able to both lead and follow well, before they try to instruct both leaders and followers.
    True, true.

Another question is, are there enough role reversal classes taught?

I've only seen one as a fun lesson.

Commercial Operator

If you bother to read read up a bit you will see that I have. And I didn't imagine the looks I got I can assure you.
    I read it. As I said, how people react is their business.

Blog Entries

True, true.

Another question is, are there enough role reversal classes taught?

I've only seen one as a fun lesson.
    I want to see a proper role reversal class. None of this wimpy "men be followers, women be leaders" nonsense, any fool can do that.

I want to see a class where the leaders do the follower steps and the followers do the leader steps - but the leaders still lead. Now that'd sort the men out from the, err, followers, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I want to see a proper role reversal class. None of this wimpy "men be followers, women be leaders" nonsense, any fool can do that.

I want to see a class where the leaders do the follower steps and the followers do the leader steps - but the leaders still lead. Now that'd sort the men out from the, err, followers, or something like that.
    A back leaders class? That will be wonderful for new intermediates!

Blog Entries

A back leaders class? That will be wonderful for new intermediates!
    I thought it could be called a Real Leader's class

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I thought it could be called a Real Leader's class
    Surely it should be Dance Terrorism 101 (i.e. for when you've moved on from simple hijacking...)

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I think 99% of men still need an excuse! Either to do it for the experience of following to pick up tips on technique etc. or they do it to entertain the onlookers and its usually very slapstick and comical.
    And for the experience of following is different to why women follow how ? I've been enjoying following lots and I'd love to do more of it. There are quite a few female leads out there that I enjoy dancing with but I'm not looking to improve my following with men to be "good enough" to ask those women to lead me . I'm there to enjoy my dance, I might learn more about leading or following doing it but it isn't a primary goal.

Girls definitely go all out to make the dance 'feels' nice for each other but I can't say i've ever seen this quality between men when they're dancing together.
    That's a shame, if I'm leading or following I'll try and make the dance feel nice irrelevant of the gender of my partner. Obviously to the onlooker I've failed so far .

There still is a bit of a difficulty with dancing with other guys though. I was looking around for a bloke to dance with last night (there were extra men ) and struggled to find a guy I thought would be fine with it (in the end I asked a guy who I figured would be fine with it and was turned down ).

I also find, with the exception of Jamie who I love to lead and follow, that I prefer to follow when dancing with another guy. It's more to do with them generally being better leads and most women on the dance floor being better followers however, since I'm aware the reverse is true as well, I'm happy leading too.

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    There still is a bit of a difficulty with dancing with other guys though. I was looking around for a bloke to dance with last night (there were extra men ) and struggled to find a guy I thought would be fine with it (in the end I asked a guy who I figured would be fine with it and was turned down ).

I agree with this and have found myself in the same situation recently having just started to learn to follow ...... still got some catching up to do with you KT..... but think I'd be put off completely if turned down by a man.

Quite by accident I ended up dancing with a very experienced man on Monday at my local venue and had a great dance, but on the whole I think it is generally less well received at local level than say weekenders like Southport.

It just isn't done around here and the funny looks I got when I did it was a bit disturbing like it shouldn't have been happening or something.
    If you follow regularly, you'll find that attitudes change fairly rapidly. If it's a one-off then you'll attract more attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Pants View Post
    I think it is generally less well received at local level than say weekenders like Southport.
    Why is that do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Why is that do you think?
    Ignorance and intolerance.

I dance with men as a follower and as a leader and the same with women.

I think there is nothing better than 2 men dancing together when they both swap to leading and following thro the dance.

On the Jivetime Camber weekend i danced with Kyron aka Vegtable loads of times and a gang of women from Ireland was gobsmacked by our antics.

Whilst leading Andy McGregor to a slow and smooth blues track we had a fab dance and right on cue to the end note i dropped him.
    Literally on the floor whilst we both cracked up laughing, this is what it all about my lovelies fun and playing on the floor.

At the end of the night i went home with my lovely Trouble and Andy went home with his lovely Sue.

IMHO a man who can lead and follow must be a more experimental and ergo a better dancer than the run of the mill men who lead only.

Woodface cartwheeled me at Southport...frightened the life out of me, Trouble laughed so much and passed so much fluid that a plumber was called.

XXX XXX DTS Dave

I agree with this and have found myself in the same situation recently having just started to learn to follow ...... still got some catching up to do with you KT..... but think I'd be put off completely if turned down by a man.
    Cool, I shall lead you at some stage (*though I prefer following other men, perhaps that means two dances?).

I wouldn't be put off by being turned down by one man. I tried expand my list of "guys that are fine with it" and failed. Certainly won't stop me trying to ask other men in the future or dancing with the ones I already know are fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    If you follow regularly, you'll find that attitudes change fairly rapidly. If it's a one-off then you'll attract more attention.
    I agree, the more people see it the more the "novelty value" will wear off.

If the music dictates, we're not afraid to get up close.
    That's because your bits point inwards.

I wouldn't be put off by being turned down by one man. I tried expand my list of "guys that are fine with it" and failed.
    Recently I learnt a trick for this. Rather than just asking a guy for a dance now, I say something like "can I get a dance with you later?". So far it works slightly better, though early days.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm there to enjoy my dance, I might learn more about leading or following doing it but it isn't a primary goal.
    I did only say 99% maybe your the 1%

That's a shame, if I'm leading or following I'll try and make the dance feel nice, irrelevant of the gender of my partner. Obviously to the onlooker I've failed so far .
    Hmm I've just had an interesting thought.. maybe to a guy, what feels 'nice' is different to what feels 'nice' to a girl?

And sadly KT, your right, I can honestly say, I've never seen two men dance together and looked at them and thought, hey, they look really amazing together, or that they look so 'into' it or 'lost in the moment' that i've thought, Wow..

But I have many times, with two girls!

I know I've experienced feelings of being lost in the moment myself, many times, when dancing with a girl but I'll have to take your word for it, if you say you have?

Anyway, its not all negative! Girls can't make me laugh, the way men do.

You never see them attempting ambitious death defying arials, the first time they dance for a start! (my mind instantly recalls Underpar and Yoval's dance at Southport! )
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

...on the whole I think it is generally less well received at local level than say weekenders like Southport.
    At my venue last week - a quieter night than usual - we had men over. And due to staffing shortages, the lady who usually demonstrates flitted between the end of the line (maximising the number of ladies available to dance), and manning the door. That left the male teacher demonstrating with a male taxi dancer. Unusual, but necessary.

Who knew that Bognor was so progressive?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    That's because your bits point inwards.
    I think your thinking of the wrong person!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I did only say 99% maybe your the 1%

And sadly KT, your right, I can honestly say, I've never seen two men dance together and looked at them and thought, hey, they look really amazing together, or that they look so 'into' it or 'lost in the moment' that i've thought, Wow..
    I saw this a couple of times in the main room at Southport in September - one of the dances in particular made me think "wow, they look amazing together".

Thread Information