Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Results - Ceroc Midland Competition

Re: Results - Ceroc Midland Competition

So sorry to see yet another thread on competitions degenerate - perhaps the moderator could take out the comments on what/who makes a Judge or whether there are second tier/third tier competitions or competitions for donkeys and start it elsewhere? (Rant over!)

Getting back to the results and the sirrupy backslapping - well done all, but particularly to Danni (the galloping gardner) and Jenny, little Danny and Jenny, CJ and Yilanda

Elaine

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB View Post
    So sorry to see yet another thread on competitions degenerate - perhaps the moderator could take out the comments on what/who makes a Judge or whether there are second tier/third tier competitions or competitions for donkeys and start it elsewhere? (Rant over!)

and those making these judgemental comments were not even there

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    I thought I saw you carrying some camera equipment for Alec (ESG)
    Some! Had me working like a Trojan. Oh Ok, that was a slight exaggeration.
    You can come out of the corner now Mike.
    Last edited by Cruella; 13th-November-2007 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DD+ View Post
    I had a fab time too!
    I did too have a brilliant day
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

OK …I suppose my interest comes from the question as to the credibility of competitions. If this is a debate that needs to take place on a different thread then I'm sure the Mods can move it.

People can have a great time at an event that doesn’t ‘rate’ as there could be some good performances, good dancers on the freestyle and their mates partaking. Its clear that the people who have posted had a great time at the Kings Hall event. The debate I was raising was about the credibility of competitions. I think some think that the more competitions the better, the more opportunities to compete the better. I'm not so sure. I think the credibility of a competition comes more from factors such as
    • Quality of Judges
    • Rules and adherence to them
    • Choice of music for the heats / finals
    • Quality of competitors in each event
    • No of competitors taking part

My view is that if you’ve got say 2 or 3 top competitors in each round then the finals should be a good spectacle, but it means that the heats may be sparsely populated and not many of them. I remember the initial Ceroc Champs. My fading memory suggests there were around 100 in the Intermediates competition. It made for real excitement for those taking parts and a great spectacle for the spectators.

My question re the number of competitors taking part is a fairly obvious question. Morbid curiosity. I wanted to know how big the competition is. It would be great if it became an established regional competition. My problem was that after looking at the piccies that, with the exception of BS and RR, I didn’t recognise any of the dancers form the N West. It’s a shame and leads on to the chicken and egg question … does the event have to become ‘credible’ before the N West dancers compete or will the N West dancers have to compete before it becomes credible. Not sure what the answer is.

Cool Re: Results - Ceroc Midland Competition

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    It’s a shame and leads on to the chicken and egg question … does the event have to become ‘credible’ before the N West dancers compete or will the N West dancers have to compete before it becomes credible. Not sure what the answer is.
    These are valid points Gus. Twirlie Bird and me fleetingly considered entering the Midland 'champs' (but we were high on adrenaline after the Breeze Open Blues comp at the time). After a little investigation we concluded that rather than go to the vast expense of entering the Midland 'champs' it would be far far cheaper to buy a trophy from a trophy shop (and unfortunately it would be just as credible). That is the sad, yet real fact of the situation. Sadly we have a new and minor provincial event demanding top dollar fees.

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing" Ummm, OK

… does the event have to become ‘credible’ before the N West dancers compete or will the N West dancers have to compete before it becomes credible.
    The thing is harping on about the low numbers could be seen as lessening the credibility. It would be nice if people could concentrate on the positives rather than the negatives to encourage more people along to support it.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    These are valid points Gus. Twirlie Bird and me fleetingly considered entering the Midland 'champs' (but we were high on adrenaline after the Breeze Open Blues comp at the time). After a little investigation we concluded that rather than go to the vast expense of entering the Midland 'champs' it would be far far cheaper to buy a trophy from a trophy shop (and unfortunately it would be just as credible). That is the sad, yet real fact of the situation. Sadly we have a new and minor provincial event demanding top dollar fees.

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing" Ummm, OK
    Stokie, I'm somewhat disappointed in you.

I feel ur comments were a blight on every hour spent rehearsing, each hour travelling, every pound spent on costumes, every injury overcome, each drop of sweat that every competitor put into that event.

What ever went between U and Mike, don't ever ever be so disrespectful to ur fellow dancers. Please.

After a little investigation we concluded that rather than go to the vast expense of entering the Midland 'champs' it would be far far cheaper to buy a trophy from a trophy shop (and unfortunately it would be just as credible). That is the sad, yet real fact of the situation.
    That's rubbish! How can buying a trophy have as much credibility as winning one. You are belittling all the competitors that spent hours of time practising for this comp. No matter how few contestants there are, the hard work has still been put in by the ones brave enough to enter.

Edit : Seems CJ and I have the same thoughts. That scares the sh1t out of me!

Cool Re: Results - Ceroc Midland Competition

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Stokie, I'm somewhat disappointed in you.

I feel ur comments were a blight on every hour spent rehearsing, each hour travelling, every pound spent on costumes, every injury overcome, each drop of sweat that every competitor put into that event.

What ever went between U and Mike, don't ever ever be so disrespectful to ur fellow dancers. Please.
    Maybe I should have made it more clear in my previous post. We considered entering the aerials category. Last year, if my memory serves me correctly there was one or possibly two entries, this year it would appear that there were none.

This indeed, in my opinion, would make a 1st place pretty worthless. Did last years 'winners' come back to defend their title? I don't know, I wasn't there, but I cannot see any mention of this spectacular category in any of the results I have seen - official or otherwise. It would have cost us £75 for the privilege of doing a first move step across and scooping the title.

Please accept my apologies, I was speaking personally about the event we considered entering. I hope that clears up any confusion. Kudos to everyone who had the balls to get out there and dance under the scrutiny of judges. Having been there myself recently, I have nothing but respect for you guys.

Ummm, sorry again for the confusion

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    The thing is harping on about the low numbers could be seen as lessening the credibility. It would be nice if people could concentrate on the positives rather than the negatives to encourage more people along to support it.
    Hold on ... you want to support it. I'm not sure if I do. Just because you think it SHOULD be supported doesn't mean I have to have the same view. Dancers went, spent good money, put in a lot of work and hopefully had a blast. Great! I applaud their efforts and commitment. My views on the standing of the competition itself are surely a personal view and no reflection on the efforts of those taking part.

At the end of the day, no one has answered the simple bl00dy question that this all started with ... HOW MANY WERE COMPETING? I thought it was a simple question .. the fact that everyone seems to be avoiding is strange. Whats the big secret? Surely that question in itself isn't knocking the event???

We considered entering the aerials category. Last year, if my memory serves me correctly there was one or possibly two entries, this year it would appear that there were none.
    There were 2 entries, but as CJ had broken his thumb, he had to pull out. So if you had entered, then you would have at least gained a second position and it would have also given the other couple more satisfaction, i'm sure, to have had someone to compete against.

As for Gus's question as to how many competitors there were, I am not avoiding it, I can't answer as I didn't actually count them. I'm sure Mike must have that information somewhere though.
    There were 4 showcases, I can remember that much.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    I think its great that dancers do put this effort in ... I think its part of the reason why the standard of dance and the thirst for better teaching has occurred. It would be great if promoters could provide more opportunities for these dancers. The 'Best in the West' is a great concept and it would be great to see it happening elsewhere.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Just so as you all know.. his name is Alec
    Yes, I was wondering who this new guy Alex was.

If it's any consolation, teacher Carol always got it wrong too, and he was her demo for ages

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What? Another thread splitting request? Boy, maybe I should come out of split retirement...

The answer is, no, this is still a discussion about the Midlands champs. If it gets too heated, we will of course deal with it appropriately, but I don't believe it has done so yet. Every post-comp thread seems to do this obsessive post-morteming anyway.

Getting back to the results and the sirrupy backslapping - well done all, but particularly to Danni (the galloping gardner) and Jenny, little Danny and Jenny, CJ and Yilanda

Elaine

Ahem!

A competition is a competition. Well done to the organisers for the hard work of organising it all.... and well done to all the competitiors who made it happen on the day!

Martin

PS:
    What Danni is a gardner? She told me she was a personal trainer!

The Oracle

I really enjoyed the whole day.

The venue is one of the best I've seen. Great floor, huge car park, cheap bar,

The 9 judges were organised into panels and we rotated across the different categories. I think quite a bit of thought had gone into this. The more experienced judges were on the Open and Showcase finals. The individual rotas seemed to give all the judges a decent break, and not just missing one round.

The music was pretty good. The scoring was fast. The prize giving was very efficient. In other words it was a well run competition.

I was impressed with the standard of dancing - especially in the intermediates. I know what to expect from the Open and Showcase competitors, and they didn't disappoint. But the intermediates were particularly difficult to judge.

As far as freestyle goes, I'm probably not the best person to ask. I don't dance much during the day at competitions as my feet get too tired. This was a shame, as there was plenty of opportunity to freestyle. But I did have some very nice dances in the evening. It is the second time I've danced in the Midlands and noticed some exceptionally good followers.

Quote Originally Posted by marty_baby View Post
    What Danni is a gardner? She told me she was a personal trainer!
    No, Danny (Cheeky Butler) is the gardener!

I think the credibility of a competition comes more from factors such as
    • Quality of Judges
    • Rules and adherence to them
    • Choice of music for the heats / finals
    • Quality of competitors in each event
    • No of competitors taking part
    Based on this the Midlands Champs is as credible as any of the other comps I've been to in the UK with the exception of the Number of Competitors taking part.

In the time I've been dancing I've done 1 or 2 comps ....

The Midland Champs had:
    • A great venue ( I see why it's called the Kings Hall)
    • Well known and respected judges, as well as some new ones judging the lower levels.
    • Clear rules that were adhered to.
    • Ran on time and smoothly
    • Excellent music that was appropriate to each level, fun and entertaining.
    • Quality Competitors (the people in the open final were all people in open finals in other comps, all of the showcases were had been done at other comps, many of the intermediate finalists I recognised from intermediate finals in other comps...)

Based on this and your assessment above, it sounds like quite a credible comp.

In any case, it always takes time for things to grow and it was only the second year for this champs and there were quite a number of other conflicting events. So all in all, a fantastic job, a fantastic comp, and a fantastic day.

Peter

Thumbs up Re: Results - Ceroc Midland Competition

I was at the midlands champs for my first contest, i struck lucky in the lucky dip challenge having the wonderfull Amy Muncaster as a partner. We were knocked out in the 1st semi final, which considering my novice status and nerves was a very pleasing acheivment. Big thanks to Pete, CJ and Ylander for helping me and cheering me on hope to see you all at Blackpool!!

Thread Information