Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: genderbalancing at party nights - right or wrong?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: genderbalancing at party nights - right or wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    There have been women styling workshops, has anyone heard of a men only, mens\'s styling workshop? Do you think it would work?
    I vaguely recall that Viktor taught one at Southport, in... um, Sept 2005? I think it was then. They did a "lady's styling" and "men's styling" workshop I believe. Dunno what they were like though, did anyone here go on them?

I would not like to attempt to even try this...
    It's just a thought-experiment, but I think it's an interesting one.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I vaguely recall that Viktor taught one at Southport, in... um, Sept 2005? I think it was then. They did a "lady's styling" and "men's styling" workshop I believe. Dunno what they were like though, did anyone here go on them?
    I attended Viktor's one at Camber in Nov 2005 - it was enjoyable, well taught and concentrated on some simple tips to help with spinning, 'dead' spare arms, body ripples and the like. Of course, the major issue with some of it is that stuff that Viktor can pull off and look great in doing just looks daft when the rest of us try it. I don't really see there was much more he could do to address 'styling' in a group session.

Was giving some thought to gender balancing last night on the long drive home from Bisley. I attended three dance events this weekend - Utopia, Hammersmith, Bisley and all three seemed, to me, to be gender imbalanced despite the attempts of the organisers at Utopia and Bisley specifically to balance the gender numbers (Hammersmith didn't seem even to have tried to balance the numbers overall to ensure people could dance in a comfortable space ) I don't envy organisers in this - it's quite tricky to achieve. You can't force men to book and closing the doors to uncoupled ladies too soon makes it both extra difficult for that group of ladies and runs the risk for the organiser of making a financial loss on an event. I don't know the reason why Bisley ended up with som many followers over but I do feel it's especially unfair for people paying £25 in the expectation of a reasonably balanced workshop to be effectively dancing two rounds then sitting out one. I said the same once before about a Jango workshop I attended.

Commercial Operator

If you cannot find a man, then maybe start a thread... Lady seeking random man who wants to go to x event, so we can book in together.

Great idea Martin

It's just a thought-experiment, but I think it's an interesting one.
    June, actually. It was well worth attending and among other things, gave timing and styling variations to common moves. Of course, not everyone moves like Viktor, but as he said, who's gonna be looking at the guy, when he gets the girl to body roll!

Tracy made the mistake of poking her nose into the supposedly "men only" class, and consequently got grabbed as the demo!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King View Post

Tracy made the mistake of poking her nose into the supposedly "men only" class, and consequently got grabbed as the demo!
    Oh the poor girl, it looks like torture

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Back on-topic, I think for workshops there should be strict gender balancing. For party nights it's probably reasonable to take a gender control approach: a few more women than men. Women do sit and chat more than men (I realise this is a generalisation and someone is bound to try and shoot it down) and also there are more female lead & follows than men, many of whom lead for pleasure as well as necessity. Perhaps a ratio of 11:10 women to men?

There's not much you can do about people booking then not turning up on the night, short of charging a refundable deposit which can be claimed back on the night - but I don't see that taking off.

The Dashing Moderator

Although, thinking about it, I wonder what would happen to the MJ dance culture if all events - including class nights - were gender-balanced?
    Quote Originally Posted by Me, up there somewhere^^^ View Post
    Has anyone succeeded in operating gender-balancing for a "pay on the door" event?
    Assuming that you don't mean making every class ticket-only, has anyone attempted/suceeded in doing gender-balancing "on the door"?

Do you have an extra queue of ladies waiting outside the door, ready to match up with spare men. Or do they lurk in the car park and ambush likely suspects in order to arrive as a couple?
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Assuming that you don't mean making every class ticket-only, has anyone attempted/suceeded in doing gender-balancing "on the door"?

Do you have an extra queue of ladies waiting outside the door, ready to match up with spare men. Or do they lurk in the car park and ambush likely suspects in order to arrive as a couple?
    I believe that Slinky's has a mixed policy, but obviously you'd have to get someone from there to confirm, and talk about how well it works. I think there's a gender balancing element when you're booking tickets in advance, but they do sell tickets on the door as well.

Maybe they're working on the assumption that women will want to book in advance and are less likely to just make a decision on the day (all that primping we do before going to a dance night!), whereas men will be more likely to turn up on the day, thus balancing things out?

I don't have a problem with gender-balanced events. I tend to plan well in advance anyway, though sometimes it's nice to just decide on the day, and not feel you have to go as otherwise you will waste the cost of your ticket. So I'd hate to see all events go this way.

I agree with LC though - having about 10% more women than men probably isn't an issue. I don't dance every dance anyway - need to have a rest between.

On rare occasions it does work the other way as well though - too many men, not enough women, such as when I went to Chiswick recently when the rugby was on. Had a great time, but had to keep turning people down as I was knackered!

Although, thinking about it, I wonder what would happen to the MJ dance culture if all events - including class nights - were gender-balanced?
    i completely agree. there are so many girls who go to class nights and parties with their friends, especially when they are just starting. i for one would probably not have taken up mj or kept it up if it hadn't been for my female friends who wnet with me week after week. i think that as a business ceroc would lose out if all events including class nights became gender balanced. an

It has a positive, book in early (which helps the event organisers) or bring a man along (which helps the event organisers)

If you cannot find a man, then maybe start a thread... Lady seeking random man who wants to go to x event, so we can book in together.
    but i still know men who book the weekend before at which point most women have given up hope of getting a ticket!
    and my big comment to this is that there are many people who want to go on weekenders including many of my friends who are not members of the forum so startnig a thread would be useless for them to book!

C x

I vaguely recall that Viktor taught one at Southport, in... um, Sept 2005? I think it was then. They did a "lady's styling" and "men's styling" workshop I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm King View Post
    June, actually. It was well worth attending and among other things, gave timing and styling variations to common moves. Of course, not everyone moves like Viktor, but as he said, who's gonna be looking at the guy, when he gets the girl to body roll!
    Just goes to show, even an off the wall idea has probably been done before

Thanks for the feedback guys, maybe my idea is not so dumb after all...
    So it could work, a double trouble workshop at the same time as a men's styling workshop...

Quote Originally Posted by cms View Post
    and my big comment to this is that there are many people who want to go on weekenders including many of my friends who are not members of the forum so startnig a thread would be useless for them to book!

C x
    Fair enough, so there are other ways, such as an anoucement in class, or simply ask every random male you see...

Maybe train the guys not to book in alone, but to consider partnering up for the sake of booking in.

I was going to book in as a single male to an event coming up, until I thought.... I wonder if Tem is going (coz she is fun and good value)? When I phoned her she said she would like to, but no single girls can now book in...
    Problem solved, we could both book in together.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Has anyone succeeded in operating gender-balancing for a "pay on the door" event?
    I get an entertaining image like a night club in reverse, with all the attractive ladies queuing to get in and guys wandering past the que to be let straight in by the bouncer

There have been women styling workshops, has anyone heard of a men only, mens\'s styling workshop? Do you think it would work?
    I went to a men's styling workshop last year at Dance fever in Perth, taught by Steve Burgess. There was only 10 or so of us but it was a refreshing change to see that we could do to look a little bit better on the dance floor I notice this in Classes a lot, where the teacher tells the ladies about style in certain moves, like what to do with a spare arm etc. However nothing really for the men to improve their style with.

Blog Entries

So it could work, a double trouble workshop at the same time as a men's styling workshop...
    Yes, why not? The audience would need to be there, though - Southport is probably the biggest concentration of advanced MJ dancers in the UK, so what works there may not work elsewhere.

...So it could work, a double trouble workshop at the same time as a men's styling workshop...
    I wish all organisers were thoughtful like this.

Fair enough, so there are other ways, such as an anoucement in class, or simply ask every random male you see...

Maybe train the guys not to book in alone, but to consider partnering up for the sake of booking in.

I was going to book in as a single male to an event coming up, until I thought.... I wonder if Tem is going (coz she is fun and good value)? When I phoned her she said she would like to, but no single girls can now book in...
    Problem solved, we could both book in together.
    I don't know who Tem is but I assume you know her and she knows you, which is fine.

But it can be a problem both sides if you don't know or don't have good indirect reasons for confidence in the other person.

It is probably more efficient for the organisers to maintain a waiting list, than to have individuals pair up + and it doesn't require trust.

I do appreciate for the organisers having the ladies doing recruiting is rather attractive though.

Just goes to show, even an off the wall idea has probably been done before

Thanks for the feedback guys, maybe my idea is not so dumb after all...
    Count me as interested for either (Double Trouble or men's styling) - both would be of benefit to me!!

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post

I went to a men's styling workshop last year at Dance fever in Perth, taught by Steve Burgess. There was only 10 or so of us but it was a refreshing change to see that we could do to look a little bit better on the dance floor I notice this in Classes a lot, where the teacher tells the ladies about style in certain moves, like what to do with a spare arm etc. However nothing really for the men to improve their style with.
    So my idea is not totally insane... happening in several places already.

Yes, why not? The audience would need to be there, though - Southport is probably the biggest concentration of advanced MJ dancers in the UK, so what works there may not work elsewhere.
    You do not need to be advanced to get benefit from both of these workshops.
    It is all about a bit of fun and learning new "tricks"

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Count me as interested for either (Double Trouble or men's styling) - both would be of benefit to me!!

At this point, not sure it is a goer this year, might be next year...

Are you still bringing cake?

Blog Entries

You do not need to be advanced to get benefit from both of these workshops.
    Absolutely - I was just thinking about demand rather than anything else - I suspect most beginners won't be so interested in "fundamentals" or "technique".

Thread Information