• Never

2 5.41%
  • 'Bullets from your soul'

2 5.41%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweat

Sweat

Do you sweat?

Or do you feel you should be sweating after a night dancing? Personally I feel that if you not even remotely perspiring then have you put enough effort in or are you just going through the motions of the moves rather than putting more effort into a dance?

I know it isn't pleasant but what do you think about the issue of sweatiness? Do you turn people down because of it?

Re: Sweat

Well, being a lady don't ya know, I glow rather than sweat...

Degree of "glow" depends on the venue - new Clapham venue has fabulous air conditioning, which alleviates things considerably. Whereas Chiswick... well the least said about Chiswick the better.

As for turning someone down, I haven't yet, but I've often wished that I had when the dance has started. It's a bit of a problem that in a dark venue, you can't actually see that well till you get close enough to be dancing Although so long as it's fresh sweat (i.e. not smelly) and they don't actually drip on me (which has happened) it's tolerable, if unpleasent, for those three minutes. Usually.

Have found, practically speaking, that sweaty hands can be a bit problem for "maintaining connection though"... have gone my own sweet way a number of times due to a little too much, uhm, moisture Despite usually wiping my hands on a towel between dances when I can

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Well, being a lady don't ya know, I glow rather than sweat...
    Yes that's right, us girls don't sweat, we glow!

Unfortunately I can glow pints!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Unfortunately I can glow pints!
    Is that sweat or tears on that smilie Lory?!

Of, and I forgot to mention "leaky head syndrome" which is the thing I hate the most. Not too bad if the venue has proper electric hand driers, but if it's just towels on a roll, then I'm scuppered. Usually wind up looking as if I've just washed my hair (another reason for hating Chiswick)

And putting it up doesn't help, as it just acts as a target on my head for leads to hit when returning me

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    I feel that if you not even remotely perspiring then have you put enough effort in or are you just going through the motions of the moves rather than putting more effort into a dance?
    I feel that when I am perspiring due to Modern Jive it's because I have poor technique or poor fitness or because I'm over-styling. It's not really an intrinsically energetic dance.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    I feel that when I am perspiring due to Modern Jive it's because I have poor technique or poor fitness or because I'm over-styling. It's not really an intrinsically energetic dance.
    It's more energetic than AT (well, anything is), and probably also more so than salsa.

But it depends how you dance it, really - I agree that the more experienced dancers will use less energy, but they've got technique and muscle memory on their side. And of course, it depends on how much you sweat anyway.

Also, I may be weird, but umm, in some circumstances I don't mind a sweaty partner.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    But it depends how you dance it, really - I agree that the more experienced dancers will use less energy, but they've got technique and muscle memory on their side.
    Or they make their partner do all the work.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Also, I may be weird, but umm, in some circumstances I don't mind a sweaty partner.
    Neither do I. It's only natural.

I'm completely unfit. I have spent 26 years sat on my backside and not walking anywhere. But my fitness has improved recently and I have lost a stone in just 2 months.

Or they make their partner do all the work.
    With a light lead, marching footwork, slow music, and no bouncing, the "work" is essentially walking around whilst holding hands.

Mind you, there are some venues that get so hot that they make me sweat just sitting down.

I'm completely unfit.
    Then kudos for starting Modern Jive: I hope it makes you a healthier and happier person.

Then kudos for starting Modern Jive: I hope it makes you a healthier and happier person.
    It has.

Three and a half years ago, I couldn't jog 50 yards without getting a stich or running out of breath. Now I can do much more than I ever thought I would yet show little hint of breathlessness and such.

Do you turn people down because of it?
    Yep. I also tell them they smell and not to ask me again until they have had a bath.

I even have a T-Shirt that I wear at Southport that says on the front "If you smell, don't ask". And on the back it says "As a smack in the mouth often offends".

I HATE STINKERS.......!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Yep. I also tell them they smell and not to ask me again until they have had a bath.

I even have a T-Shirt that I wear at Southport that says on the front "If you smell, don't ask". And on the back it says "As a smack in the mouth often offends".

I HATE STINKERS.......!

Remind me to grab you early on if I ever see you!

Remind me to grab you early on if I ever see you!

I'd like to just clarify, as I'm sure you know. There is a difference between being sweaty and being smelly.

If you showered before going out dancing, you might sweat but you shouldn't start to smell. Stinkers are the ones that haven't showered recently, ie that day at any point. That is just not acceptable. In fact, I couldn't be more insulted if you flopped your winkle out and slapped me around the face with it.

I'd like to just clarify, as I'm sure you know. There is a difference between being sweaty and being smelly.

If you showered before going out dancing, you might sweat but you shouldn't start to smell. Stinkers are the ones that haven't showered recently, ie that day at any point. That is just not acceptable. In fact, I couldn't be more insulted if you flopped your winkle out and slapped me around the face with it.

*Notes in diary*

But my fitness has improved recently and I have lost a stone in just 2 months.
    Is that just down to you taking up dancing? Wow! Or have you been dancing a few years and only recently done something that works for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    Is that just down to you taking up dancing? Wow! Or have you been dancing a few years and only recently done something that works for you?
    I've been dancing for three years but only in the last couple of months I went EVERY NIGHT rather than once or twice a week. I do no other exercise and still eat crap all day.

still eat crap all day.
    I see a win win situation approaching. I have a number of dog owners round my way who allow their dogs to crap all over the pavement. If you're feeling peckish...

I see a win win situation approaching. I have a number of dog owners round my way who allow their dogs to crap all over the pavement. If you're feeling peckish...
    Hmmmmmmm...dog poop...

SRLY it's great. Well it works for me at least (not the dog poop).

In fact, I couldn't be more insulted if you flopped your winkle out and slapped me around the face with it.
    But if you were both standing up at the time I bet you would at least be impressed

Quote Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
    But if you were both standing up at the time I bet you would at least be impressed
    Not really...I'm only 3'6"

Cool Re: Sweat

Well maybe I'm doing it all wrong, but when I dance I usually get pretty hot and bothered. Sweating lots isn't nice, so I always take plenty of clean dry shirts, towels and deodorants. Always have a bath/shower before going dancing, at weekenders I sometimes go back to the chalet around 12-1am for a quick shower and change ready to dance through until dawn.

It would seem from Mr Harper's viewpoint that if you're a poor dancer, then sweating can't be helped. But as Trouble rightly says smelling stale and nasty can.

Thread Information