Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Immigration

Immigration

Italy seems to be addressing ‘their problem’ see here

FT.com / Europe - Europe ‘taken aback’ by immigration

Why don’t we stop playing around the edges. You’re a racist if you mention immigration ?

Do we have a problem ?

We always hear of the cost of immigration but hardly ever the benefit.

I see in that wonderful Daily Mail they used the same photo of a Romanian family of circa 20 happily posing in the sun in Slough (pic must be 2yrs old now)

I’m happy for the Poles to pay my pension in many years hence but don’t want the Romanians mugging frail old white war veterans in parks

Do we just stereotype too much ??

Should we just allow the immigration to carry on unabated ??

Should weekender promotions go out in several languages ? Thats sound racist, is it ??

Cool Re: Immigration

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Italy seems to be addressing ‘their problem’ see here

FT.com / Europe - Europe ‘taken aback’ by immigration

Why don’t we stop playing around the edges. You’re a racist if you mention immigration ?

Do we have a problem ?

We always hear of the cost of immigration but hardly ever the benefit.

I see in that wonderful Daily Mail they used the same photo of a Romanian family of circa 20 happily posing in the sun in Slough (pic must be 2yrs old now)

I’m happy for the Poles to pay my pension in many years hence but don’t want the Romanians mugging frail old white war veterans in parks

Do we just stereotype too much ??

Should we just allow the immigration to carry on unabated ??

Should weekender promotions go out in several languages ? Thats sound racist, is it ??
    I think you're confusing racism for xenophobia.

I don't see what all the fuss is about myself.... property is dirt cheap in Romania, and British residents are snapping it up. Maybe we should just figure out a home exchange program

Re: Immigration

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    I think you're confusing racism for xenophobia.

I don't see what all the fuss is about myself.... property is dirt cheap in Romania, and British residents are snapping it up. Maybe we should just figure out a home exchange program
    Move on bloc from Costa Brava to Costa cheaper Romania

Nice ski resorts over there

With so many -ve comments about imigration maybe there should be more positive ones

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the whole issue is so contentious, people are afraid to say 'anything' for fear of being accused of racism.

For me, I haven't got a problem with any particular people. In fact I wholeheartedly understand 'why' people want to come here and if I were living in some of the conditions these people have to suffer, I'd be the first to want to take advantage of 'our' governments generosity!!

The problem I have is with 'our government' and the do good'ers who can't see the wood for the trees. We've got enough problems with lack of health services and lack of schools and lack of housing, for the people who are already here.

If they could hand on heart assure us, that all these problems were under control and people who've been in this country all their lives and who've paid national insurance and taxes, wouldn't suffer as a result, then i'd be happy for anyone to come. But the sad facts are, as was highlighted on the BBC''s programme on the subject last night, there are people who're being pushed to the back of the queue, behind people who've just arrived here and that, I don't find fair!

I stood behind a woman the other day in the supermarket, dressed in a full yashmak, who didn't speak a work of English, who paid her total food bill with vouchers and then the little old lady behind quietly said, I wish someone would help me like that!

Now, I don't know the circumstances of either of them but its situations like that, where I'd have liked a little insight to the background stories, to help me to stop feeling ever so slightly aggrieved.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Italy seems to be addressing ‘their problem’
    Nope, they just did a publicity stunt. It's likely that the people they deported are already back in the country now.

Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure what this thread is about, maybe we need threads to be posted in several languages, maybe including English.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    maybe we need threads to be posted in several languages, maybe including English.
    Can't rep you

Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure what this thread is about, maybe we need threads to be posted in several languages, maybe including English.
    Does this help ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I think the whole issue is so contentious, people are afraid to say 'anything' for fear of being accused of racism.

Blog Entries

Does this help ?
    Not really.

What exactly are we discussing? For example:

• Immigration - economic impacts?
    • Immigration - overlap with asylum-seekers? (remember them?)
    • Immigration - and "British Identity"
    • Immigration and racism?

Not really.

What exactly are we discussing? For example:

• Immigration - economic impacts?
    • Immigration - overlap with asylum-seekers? (remember them?)
    • Immigration - and "British Identity"
    • Immigration and racism?
    No

its

Immigration lets have a pointless debate on a friday afternoon unless a better thread comes along ?

I think everyone should allow any spare bedroom they have to be availble to any new arrival which would then take the pressure off the new house building programme and reduce the carbon foot print

Blog Entries

Immigration lets have a pointless debate on a friday afternoon unless a better thread comes along ?
    Boy, you're lucky I've just +ve repped you...

Commercial Operator

As a first generation immigrant (from Scotland) I'd like to say that immigration has been great for England (and, in my case, brilliant for Scotland ). What I do object to is people coming from other countries to exploit our benefits or NHS systems. I've no objection to people coming and working, contributing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    As a first generation immigrant (from Scotland) I'd like to say that immigration has been great for England (and, in my case, brilliant for Scotland ). What I do object to is people coming from other countries to exploit our benefits or NHS systems. I've no objection to people coming and working, contributing, etc.
    All joking aside even i can see the bias in the media

Dhananjayan Sriskandarajah of the Insitute of Public Policy makes some valid points

ippr - Institute for Public Policy Research

Like global warming its hard to get all the facts

I have friends that have come here to work! They have never claimed a penny from the state, never applied for housing etc. These pay council tax etc but once their visas are up they have to return home.

Now next door to me is a lovely 3 bed house where these Nigerian scrounging buggers sometimes live. They claim benefits for the house and income support for themselves and the 3 kids. They come over twice a year to renew their forms then return to Lagos. In the summer they came over for 3 weeks smashed up the house including the patio doors and as I write this the housing association are doing the repairs. Whilst they are sunning it up in Nigeria they have another very unfriendly woman staying there probably paying rent to them too. I know all this as I have opened letters that have been sent to my house by mistake. Fraud squad have also been round here but can do nothing.

I think that you should live here for at least 6 months before benefits can be claimed.

Stewart 38, but look at these facts -

The English emigrated to America and wiped out the Native Americans.
    The English emigrated to Australia and wiped out the Australian Aborigines.
    The English emigrated to New Zealand and wiped out the Maoris.

Why the English are so nervous about immigration?

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    Stewart 38, but look at these facts -

The English emigrated to America and wiped out the Native Americans.
    The English emigrated to Australia and wiped out the Australian Aborigines.
    The English emigrated to New Zealand and wiped out the Maoris.

Why the English are so nervous about immigration?
    I assume you imply we will be wiped out as a race now ?

as an imigrant to Aussie from England, I could not claim any benefits (apart from NHS - which is reciprical, for Aussies in the UK) for the first 2 years. I would have been happy for this to be for 10 years or more... to demonstrate that I want to make a positive contribution.

I think the problem is different for Europe in that the European passport allows you to stay in other European countries, without visa requirements and set rules. - A problem they brought upon themselves, so a bit late to winge about it if your country signed up to it.

I assume you imply we will be wiped out as a race now ?
    I did not imply anything. It was an out of place comment brought about by the British Government treatment of the Islanders next to where I come from
    -
    Islanders who wait in vain for justice and a paradise lost - Times Online

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    ...The problem I have is with 'our government' and the do good'ers who can't see the wood for the trees. We've got enough problems with lack of health services and lack of schools and lack of housing, for the people who are already here. ..
    The NHS and education are built on immigrant labour.

It seems like some of "we" have problems with some of "they" being immigrants, but I have never seen a word written about the lot of "we" that are spread around the globe as immigrants, full time or part time, to elsewhere.

Commercial Operator

What I do object to is people coming from other countries to exploit our benefits or NHS systems. I've no objection to people coming and working, contributing, etc.
    ....It really annoys me that people from Poland can come here, and get all the benefits of our welfare system, including claiming for their children, even though the children still live in Poland, but have never contributed to the system. If they are working, they send their money back to Poland for their families, so the money does wonders for Poland's economy but absolutely bugger all for ours. I think that any immigrant to this country should be given a set time to find employment, after which if they have not found work, they get sent home. If they do find work, they should pay for the first two years, an immigration tax over and above the normal income tax, and an increased national insurance contribution. This would entitle them to treatment from our national health system and assistance from our welfare system if needed. If they become unemployed, they should be given a set time once again to find other employment, or be sent home. Maybe this would prevent the flood of migrant workers who will end up driving down the minimum wage payment.

Many immigrants do come here for the work and skilled in many fields. I have met lots of Romanian people who can plumb, do electrics, carpentry etc. I dont think they should pay an immigration tax as most do only come here to work and send 50% of their earning home to support their families. Its assholes like my neighbours that anger me as I wrote in an earlier post (now I feel like smashing their windows). I feel there are many jobs out there but, whilst our benefit system is so good why work. I am a single mum and have been told that I would be £20 better off each week if I gave up my job.

Right now another thing that does annoy me is those bloody women with the headscarfs on and runny nosed babies that get on the underground and beg for money. Good god dont they get enough money without having to do this. Right I am annoyed now so will sign off now

Thread Information