Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reincarnation

Re: Reincarnation

There may be many more than the three options MH gave us as possibilities for what happens after death.

Why does everyone assume that their soul will exist in its present “form” after death/in reincarnation? I suspect that’s the human ego talking. Can’t bear the thought that we just disappear at the point of death!

I’ve heard it suggested (but don’t ask me where!) that we may return to some sort of divine energy, get mixed back in (like a drop of rain in the ocean) and then re-emerge again as a new soul/spirit. Think whoever came up with the idea was thinking about life as some sort of energy, and the theory that energy can never be destroyed, so has to go somewhere.

Of course if you just believe that we’re a mix of atoms/chemicals/electrical impulses that breakdown on death, this won’t mean much. But I quite like the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Rather than running DNA tests on my parents, I read my birth certificate.
    You may now explain why I'm irrational and/or clinically insane.

Um I think you have answered this above.

Go for the latest figures, on "how many married women have affairs"

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

hey look here - you can pick your own religion if you either don't have one or you don't like yours much

Zoroastrianism seems to be where Christianity got its ideas from
    Jainism seems quite nice, I think I may go for that, I only need to build my own little shrine in the livingroom

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Jainism seems quite nice, I think I may go for that, I only need to build my own little shrine in the livingroom
    Who to? Yourself?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Who to? Yourself?
    Just because YOU don't believe in my religion there is NO NEED to make fun of it in such a way

An Eclectic Toaster

Yes...unfortunately you have to walk round sweeping the path before you with a little broom, in case you crush a bug by accident.

Oh, and the shrine you're building will be dominated by a swastika, which may take some explaining to visitors.
    Last edited by Stuart M; 7th-November-2007 at 04:15 PM.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hey look here - you can pick your own religion if you either don't have one or you don't like yours much
    Eckankar - Their Divine Spirit, is called "ECK"

Do you reckon when they're on trouble they shout... OOOH ECK?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Yes...unfortunately you have to walk round sweeping the path before you with a little broom, in case you crush a bug by accident.
    I noticed some of the monks wear masks to avoid inhaling and killing microbes. Bet they don't drink Yacult; bacteria sent to your stomach some of which will die horribly - and GOOD bacteria at that.

Still, I'm committed now and have told me wife from now on we live in a sterile environment. At let you know what she says when she stops laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Oh, and the shrine you're building will be dominated by a swastika, which may take some explaining to visitors.
    Sad that abuse by one crackpot fascist spoils it for everyone. I remember there was a funeral with a huge swastika on the coffin in a Bruce Lee film i watched years ago - bet thats cut for dvd release.

Seriously for a second, theres no better way to forget the "teachings" of Hitler than to reclaim the symbol back - thus causing neo-nazis the world over to tatoo "tit" on their foreheads at the lack of anything better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

On Trouble? Does DTS know?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Grange Hill was utter blasphemy then

An Eclectic Toaster

No, they resort to using that most mystical and revered of martial arts - Ecky Thump.

Seriously for a second, theres no better way to forget the "teachings" of Hitler than to reclaim the symbol back - thus causing neo-nazis the world over to tatoo "tit" on their foreheads at the lack of anything better.
    Actually I quite agree on that one, but you know how people are - it'd be like that bit in "Are You Right There, Father Ted?" when Ted goes to get his book back from the other priest with the little shrine of "war memorabilia".

I remember hearing on the radio the daft old bat from whom Glenn Hoddle apparantly acquired his nutjob beliefs.

You remember, he said something about crippled people having done something really terrible in a previous life...

What she wanted to get across is that if you've been really, really bad, then you can either choose to come back with inconvenient ailments for the next five or six lifetimes, or you can choose to be paraplegic throughout only one lifetime.

I couldn't believe my ears. What is there, a sort of matter of life and death type waiting room?

"Next customer to Window number four please."
    "Ah, Mr Black. Let's have a look at your file." {tat tap tap tap - looks at screen} "Oh dear, we have been a naughty boy. Well, let's see." {tat tap tap tap - collects sheet from printer} "I can offer you one nasty death by haemorrhagic fever, two lives with permanent disabilities in adulthood, or ten lives with nasty ingrowing toenails. What'll it be?"

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    You wouldn't think it so funny if you knew about the karmic penalties for this kind of font-abuse....

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    You wouldn't think it so funny if you knew about the karmic penalties for this kind of font-abuse....
    It's spelt 'comic', I think you'll find

Everybody behave themselves and we won't have to reincarnate.

We can slob around on a cloud while the others enjure birth as a new baby, childhood, school

Would you really want to go through all that again?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Um I think you have answered this above.

You run DNA tests on your parents? Kudos. I don't even know how to run a DNA test.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Everybody behave themselves and we won't have to reincarnate.

We can slob around on a cloud while the others enjure birth as a new baby, childhood, school
    There's more to achieving enlightenment than behaving, and nirvana isn't slobbing around on a cloud, but yes, that's more or less the point of Buddhism.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I think I'll look that up for clarity. While I'm there I might also look up "What % of women think their husbands are usless f*ckwits with about as much passion and warmth as a smelly disguarded hanky".

I wonder if the two are connected

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post

"Ah, Mr Black. Let's have a look at your file." {tat tap tap tap - looks at screen} "Oh dear, we have been a naughty boy. Well, let's see." {tat tap tap tap - collects sheet from printer} "I can offer you one nasty death by haemorrhagic fever, two lives with permanent disabilities in adulthood, or ten lives with nasty ingrowing toenails and you will be called Barry Shnikov. What'll it be?"

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I think I'll look that up for clarity. While I'm there I might also look up "What % of women think their husbands are usless f*ckwits with about as much passion and warmth as a smelly disguarded hanky".

I wonder if the two are connected
    Which does, if you'll excuse me, beg the question: 'Why marry a "usless f'kwit with about as much passion and warmth as a smelly disguarded hanky"?'

Apologies if this is a silly question with an obvious answer that I've somehow overlooked.

I'm not aware of the male/female ordering. Maybe it depends on the branch of Buddhism?
    You are quite right, that was more "pub talk" I got that from (always the best place to make a point from ) looking into it on the Internet I can find nothing that supports that statement so it's most likely wrong. Still doesn't mean I agree that people are the top of the ladder (excluding ascended) .

Thread Information