Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reincarnation

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Reincarnation

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I see you use the word 'teach' in its broadest possible sense.
    And "dance" for that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Anyway, back on thread .....

I'm with Lory on the numbers thing ... what is the 'official' explanation of increasing population v original number of souls?
    A good queueing system?

Obviously, new souls must be created - but so what? New souls must have been created originally anyhow at some point. Everything has to be created, at some point.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Obviously, new souls must be created - but so what? New souls must have been created originally anyhow at some point. Everything has to be created, at some point.
    If this is the case, then the idea is even more flawed...

You'd have thought that who ever's creating them, would have made a better model by now!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I think the idea of reincarnation is flawed... someone, (and I can't remember who) told me that when we die, our soul is reborn into someone else?

Now, the worlds population has grown and grown, so if that were true, where do all the extra souls come from
    But, I thought if you are bad in this life you might come back as a cockroach (or some other animal).
    So presumably the cockroaches (and other animals) could come back as humans if they've been really bad.
    There are many more cockroaches, and they die more often...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If this is the case, then the idea is even more flawed...
    Why?

You might just as well ask "Isn't Heaven / hell really crowded now with all the souls there?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timbp View Post
    So presumably the cockroaches (and other animals) could come back as humans if they've been really bad.
    Ah ha! This explains a lot!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    If any living thing can be reincarnated as any other living thing, then the chances of a human being being reincarnated as another human being are vanishingly small.
    Is that a problem? Over an infinite time frame and an endless reincarnation the chances of them being reincarnated as a human is likely. Of course Buddhism doesn't really suggest any of this and the fact there is still and ascended goal (rather than the journey itself being the important part) and man (I think Buddhism places women below men in the reincarnation scale) as the top of that ladder. For these reasons Buddhism doesn't really sit well with me.

So, what your saying is.. When I get a feeling, of having been somewhere 'before'.. it could actually be, that I've been there 'after'?
    Sure, why not? If we live in a multiple universe then what's to say that "souls" wouldn't cross over universes as well. Infinite possibilities. Of course if time isn't an issue then I wonder if you could ever meet yourself .

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

I dunno if I believe in reincarnation but I believe in the afterlife...
    Just in case though... I've inhabited a short plump body this time round so do you think I could be a leggy Kelly Brook lookalike next time round?? Oh! and be a better dancer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    Of course if time isn't an issue then I wonder if you could ever meet yourself .
    No, you couldn't.. because...

What is one's self? Our body or our soul?

If its our body, then no, cos only one of us could be alive at the same time and if its our soul, then no again, cos you'd need two souls, which would mean, two different people!

D'ya get my drift?

If its our body, then no, cos only one of us could be alive at the same time and if its our soul, then no again, cos you'd need two souls, which would mean, two different people!

D'ya get my drift?
    I do but you could be the same soul overlapping the same time frame at different points in its existence. If you think of the soul's journey as a linear path but then accept that it can move freely about a non-linear time then perhaps its start was A->B and its current state is E->F then there is no reason that E->F isn't before or at the same time as A->B. It would still be one entity at different stages over it's own progression.

Blog Entries

I do but you could be the same soul overlapping the same time frame at different points in its existence. If you think of the soul's journey as a linear path but then accept that it can move freely about a non-linear time then perhaps its start was A->B and its current state is E->F then there is no reason that E->F isn't before or at the same time as A->B. It would still be one entity at different stages over it's own progression.
    Hmm, so, that would mean that the soul has no size or dimension and can therefore be shared by two beings, wherever they might be in the world?

Interesting concept!

I'd always thought of a soul being 'inside' us. Like you see in the films when someone dies, it kind of comes out like a big puff of steam! Or rises up, like a see-through inner body

Yeah, like parrallel lives.

Blog Entries

If you think of the soul's journey as a linear path but then accept that it can move freely about a non-linear time then perhaps its start was A->B and its current state is E->F then there is no reason that E->F isn't before or at the same time as A->B. It would still be one entity at different stages over it's own progression.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    A good queueing system?
    [Q]Must you be so linear, Jean-Luc?[/Q]

Or rises up, like a see-through inner body
    Patrick Swayze in Ghost......I'm filling up just thinking about it.

Blog Entries

I'd always thought of a soul being 'inside' us. Like you see in the films when someone dies, it kind of comes out like a big puff of steam! Or rises up, like a see-through inner body
    Just remembering

Some come out slowly and hovver a while, then whiz off through the window!

And some hovver but get back in again!

And while i'm thinking of it...

how come people say they've looked down on themselves, when they've had a near death experience.. Surely they're facing the ceiling

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post

Its all that WCS he's been doing!

I think the idea of reincarnation is flawed... someone, (and I can't remember who) told me that when we die, our soul is reborn into someone else?

Now, the worlds population has grown and grown, so if that were true, where do all the extra souls come from
    Who says only humans have souls? Have we not killed enough animals to warrant a few extra "living spirits" to be floating arround?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Who says only humans have souls? Have we not killed enough animals to warrant a few extra "living spirits" to be floating arround?
    Gadget, keep with the pace hun!

We've been ther on posts #23 and #25

The worlds population has grown and grown, so if that were true, where do all the extra souls come from?
    I don't know.
    Does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by timbp View Post
    I thought if you are bad in this life you might come back as a cockroach (or some other animal).
    Yes, some animal capable of consciousness and eventual enlightenment. That may or may not include cockroaches.

man (I think Buddhism places women below men in the reincarnation scale) as the top of that ladder.
    I'm not aware of the male/female ordering. Maybe it depends on the branch of Buddhism?
    In some branches of Buddhism, (mortal) gods are above humans on the reincarnation "ladder", but they don't suffer enough to achieve nirvana.

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Lou's attempt to make 80's soapy sci-fi relevant to religious debate grants me a "One Python Quote" voucher, valid for this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha as played by Michael Palin
    Reincarnation? Yes, just line up on the left, one soul each

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Why I believe in reincarnation.
    Well - just so long as you don't plan on reincarnating in Tibet - it's now illegal to do so unless you have permission from the Chinese government. Just so's you know...

(and and no - I'm not joking)

Thread Information