• Ashtons

5 11.36%
  • Staying Home this Weekend

0 0%
  • Click Click Click

4 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dancing in London This Weekend (Nov 9th-11th)

Glitter Queen

Re: Dancing in London This Weekend (Nov 9th-11th)

Utopia seems to go from strength to strength - it was very busy, and while I didn't feel like it was gender-imbalanced I know some other women felt like it was. I wasn't as keen on the music as I have been on previous occasions, but that's just down to my personal tastes and it wouldn't put me off going back again. Poor Helen B got an elbow in the face and probably had a lovely shiner over the weekend, hope you're feeling OK now Honey . It was lovely to catch up with some people that I hadn't seen in a while and I enjoyed my dances with both guys and girls alike.

Hammersmith was PACKED! I arrived at 10:20ish, which I thought was rather late, but I was still charged full price to get in (even though on the door it said it was reduced entry after 10:15) and tried to have some dances downstairs in the chill out room only to find that it was like playing bumper-cars . I was knocked into from every angle and trodden on - through no fault of the guys I was dancing with, I hasten to add. I gave up dancing after about 45mins and went and sat in the bar and chatted to various people who were also finding it like dancing through lumpy treacle . At 12:30 I ventured downstairs for some more dances and it had thinned out quite considerably, so although I was cold and quite tired I did manage to salvage about an hour and a half's good dancing from the night. On a positive note, it was lovely to see that so many people had made a real effort with their outfits for the occasion (Jammy looked fantastic ) and I thoroughly enjoyed all the music I heard downstairs (and had a number of people comment to me that they had really enjoyed it too). Hammersmith has obviously been missed by the regulars and it's reopening can only really be considered to be a triumph, although personally I hope that it is a little bit quieter the next time I venture that way .

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    So, how were the other events this weekend?
    Utopia
    * Great social atmosphere - feels more like a night at the pub than a dance event, probably because it is within a pub
    * Personally didn't enjoy the music as much as some previous Utopia events
    * Decent amount of room to dance - much appreciated when compared with Hammersmith
    * Nice to catch up with some ladies I haven't seen in a while

Hammersmith
    * Woefully busy making it unpleasant to dance in the downstairs room until about 1 o clock - a couple of big move monsters operating in this room without regard to those around them exacerbated the problem
    * Great music in that same room including my request of Bad Mama Jama getting played TUNE!
    * Quite what was refurbished?
    * Strawberry chews on entry

Bisley
    * Very healthy numbers - good to see such keenness from so many for WCS
    * Quite tricky intermediate and improver classes - never really got it
    * Some excellent dances in the social - a shame the final track was pretty much undanceable IMHO
    * Very tasty and much needed cheese and coleslaw pitta bread in my packed lunch from Sparkles

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    So, how were the other events this weekend?
    I had a brilliant night at UTOPIA, it started off with the lovely FL picking me up, so I was abe to have a little drinkypoo Thanks Tess
    When I arrived, I chatted for a while and jokingly said, I wonder if I don't get up and ask anyone, if I'd just sit here all night but no sooner had I said that, than Rocky came over and grabbed me, then that was it, I didn't stop all night!!!

Personally, I loved the music but I know some people missed the odd tango track and wanted a bit more slow swing (I think the boys might have been warming up for S'Funk?) I managed to get totally 'in the zone' and could easily have done with another hour!

I had a great Cha Cha with Lee, which left me breathless

Hammersmith, well, 'I' had a good time and there was a nice atmosphere but as has been said before, it was far too packed at the peak time, to enjoy it properly.

The good things were, the music, Annette and Erick played great sets upstairs and SilverFox and ZebraWoman played simply georgious music downstairs and weirdly, even though it was packed, it didn't get too hot... I don't know if it was something to do with the blinds being down and directing the cold outside air into the room but it stayed quite cool all night!

Refurbishment - I couldn't tell you whats been done, It looked the same to me.

And lastly, the queue in the bar was a joke! Luckily there was free water downstairs but that ran out!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Hammersmith
    * Quite what was refurbished?
    The very question I was going to ask. Somebody told me that something had been done to the floor but I couldn't tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    The very question I was going to ask. Somebody told me that something had been done to the floor but I couldn't tell the difference.
    LOL

The walls seemed to look cleaner and maybe re-painted but other than that I couldn't see any difference.....

Hammersmith refurbishment question: was it that the sound system had been changed to make it really 'tinny' and so you couldn't hear the bass/beat at the back of the room?

Utopia was wunderfull, best night for months.....

Cool Re: Dancing in London This Weekend (Nov 9th-11th)

We had a great D.I.Y weekender down in the smoke. A bunch of us stayed together, traveled together, ate together and danced together. It was really great fun! Thanks to my roomies (Twirlie Bird, Eve, Paul AKA Jak, Paul Foster, Mini Mac, Marie, Jamie and Caz) for putting up with me.... "What's worse than finding a worm in your apple..?" Bwaahahahahaaaa

Utopia Twickers

My first time at the home of Utopia. The place has a certain feel about it... it just felt so friendly and welcoming. I don't know if that's because of the venue or the crew... I get a feeling it was more the latter than the former. I had some great dances, caught up with many people I hadn't seen or danced with for a while. Everyone was telling me they'd be at Hammers the next night - and they were! In short, great dancers, great venue, fantastic DJs... what a night!

Hammersmith
    It seemed that the only place to be was Hammersmith this Saturday. Packed, rammed, over crowded, heaving... whichever way you cut it the place was a bit too popular on Saturday! Perhaps they needed to cap the numbers, because the Chill Out Room was un-dancable for the first few hours. This was very frustrating when you consider that the DJs were Silver Fox and Zebra Woman... argghhhhhhhh!!

Considering the number of people in the Chill Out Room, it didn't turn into an oven though. As the lightweights drifted away around midnight the room really came into it's own. Fantastic night, with some amazing dances. I had an awesome dance with Zebra Woman... you could only avoid dancing with me for so long babe

Bosa Nova
    We didn't go to Berko in the end, we decided to stop in at Debbie Attwood's venue in Worcester on the way back from London on Sunday night. It's a cozy little place, with food included in the price. It's a real social/dance event. The food looked and smelt great - but we opted not to eat (with a reduced entry fee), as spicy food and dancing don't really mix for me. I did have some great dances, to name a few Fletch , Debbie, Martin Harper and it was great fun leading Gerry too

The music was great, a nice mix of easy to dance to tunes to round off the weekend, nothing too challenging, but also not just your bog standard Now That's What I Call Ceroc Classics... Volume 2 either.

The venue has air con, but still got pretty warm down the kitchen end. I would say it really is worth a look if you're in the area. However, be warned at £2:10 for a pint of soda water the bar is not for the faint of wallet Come on, £2:10! You can buy two liters of the stuff in the supermarket for 18p. That's about 5p a pint!!! So what the hell is ripping people off like that all about?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Hammersmith refurbishment question: was it that the sound system had been changed to make it really 'tinny' and so you couldn't hear the bass/beat at the back of the room?

I was hoping they would upgrade the sound system.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Hammersmith
    It seemed that the only place to be was Hammersmith this Saturday. Packed, rammed, over crowded, heaving... whichever way you cut it the place was a bit too popular on Saturday! Perhaps they needed to cap the numbers, because the Chill Out Room was un-dancable for the first few hours. This was very frustrating when you consider that the DJs were Silver Fox and Zebra Woman... argghhhhhhhh!!
    Zebra Woman??

Zebra Woman who works for Jiva Addiction at Southport Zebra Woman?!?!?

hmmmmmmm.....

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

What are the actual rules for this DJing thing then? I thought it was that Ceroc DJ's can't DJ for a competitor, yet I know of 4 that do both.

What a great weekend!

I had lots of lovely dances at Utopia, with many of my favourite dancers. It's so much nicer to go to a venue like that with decent lighting, comfy chairs, fast floor etc. The music was of course excellent.

At Hammersmith I was surprised to see no difference outside (I had been told they were knocking down the tower block out front!). Then I was surprised to see no difference inside. I think it was painted perhaps, and new blinds downstairs. Obviously they didn't get some Polish guys in to do it as I'm sure they'd have just needed a week.

I stayed downstairs the whole night, except for a fruitless trip to the bar where they had no change left. I thought it was a little crowded before midnight but hey; just means you have to dance closer

To finish off, I went to Berko on Sunday too, Marc and Rachel were back and on top form, both of them now DJ'ing which is a superb mix.

Thread Information