Thread: Splash - the Aftermath

Splash - the Aftermath

As is customary and seeing as I am here (back at work, in Brum) - Thought I would kick this off.

This was my 3rd weekender in 4 weeks! I'm completely knucking fackered!

Every weekender I've been to has a different feel and flavour - this one was raspberry for sure.

The Good
    The venues were just breathtaking - particularly the tower ballroom. I was born on the Fylde coast so I'm no stranger to Blackpool but still the Winter Gardens and Tower are still fab - particularly the Spanish Room.
    The Blues room on the 2nd night was awesome. Danced with so many but most notably Ruby Red (many times). Thanks!!
    My mum's cooking - best kept secret in Lancashire. Hydrotherapy at the Hilton after the flip, flop, fly.
    Loved the Charleston - nobody left that lesson without beaming from ear to ear .
    My DWS partner (on rotation) and I unofficially came 2nd according to Mike in the impromptu Cha cha competition on Sat. morning. Thanks to him for spending time to finesse my chasee - Steps are coming along nicely!!
    Loved all the classes I did with Lucky and Ruby - big thanks - you'll be sorely missed (my legs tell me so). Loved the hip hop - its was monsta! or at least I am. #Pop# #Pop#.
    Meeting yet more peeps from this Forum
    Caberet - Vogue was awesome - well done to all - just loved it.
    Lucky and Ruby - loved the caberet performances and personally felt the Charleston rendition was the best of the 3 I've seen.
    My Dad & Barmpot for lifts to and from in the evening/early morning.

The Bad
    Having to leave and drive home at 1am last night. B/p CC for rip off parking charges. - its more expensive than central Brum ***!

The Ugly
    Anywhere outside the venue - particularly after kicking out time. Lets just say the members of various hen parties etc were "jeeez!".
    I left work on Friday at 2:30 - desperate to make the class

Huge thanks to the crew who basically had to remake the venues overnight/early morning. The DJing especially Marc, Tiggerbabe & Steve Lampert - you rock guys/gal.

I really hope that Lucky and Ruby have enjoyed their UK tour. I've learned so much from them over the last month - I cant thank them enough!
    Safe trip home!

Re: Splash - the Aftermath

It was my first weekender and I really, really enjoyed it, apart from the fact that the Arena has to be the worst place ever to teach a dance lesson - you couldn't see owt that was happening on stage!

Met some of the forumites, and had some great dances, especially with Ruby Red (we'll have to Rumba again some time!)

Definitely the worst part was driving back home, I needed Red Bull to stay awake!

Superb setting and the music in the blues room on Saturday was fantastic - hats off to Steve, Mark, Dave, Sheena (hope I've not left anyone out!). Had some lovely dances with old and new aquaintances. Especially with Rubyred.

Looks like we'll have to rename this one the Rubyred thread.....

Lucille and I enjoyed the Friday and Sunday nights..not so much the Saturday ( found the Empress Ballroom too large and imposing which in our opinion contributed to a general lack of atmosphere ).
    Cabaret was fun and in most cases well performed.
    Went to see a show 'FORBIDDEN' at the Globe on Sunday afternoon....if it ever goes on tour, it is certainly a worthwhile watch. A mixture of dance (many styles) mixed in with acrobatics and eroticism.
    Nice to meet to forum folks....thanks Fletch .. for introductions and for the dance.
    Overall, generally a decent weekend but somehow seemed a bit mis-jointed and not as smooth running as 'holiday camp' weekenders.

Had a great time at Splash, I thought the Tower and the Spanish halls were fab.

Big thanks to all the dancers that lead me, the highlight was being lead by Jamie.

Last big thanks was to Fletch for just being Fletch

Cool Re: Splash - the Aftermath

I had a cracking weekend. Thanks again to Dave (and his parents) for putting us up. It was a slightly strange weekender, in as much as we danced in five different halls spread over three nights. This meant it was more like doing three freestyles in a row, especially as the accommodation was also off site.

Dancing in the Tower Ballroom was awesome. The building is nothing short of a mecca for UK dance. It really was a treat to dance there. Although the floor was a little strange. For me, Saturday night at the Winter Gardens was the best night. The blues room was a little more tucked away, but plenty big enough. There were lots of shorter sets, so I got to hear the cream of all my favorite DJs. There was a real party buzz about the place on Saturday. I also got to lead my daughter in our first 'proper' dance together, and that was just magical.

The Spanish room looked cool on Sunday, but I spent my time again in the blues room. I had some lovely dances, but the room just lacked the high charged atmosphere of Saturday night's blues room.

All in all, a great break away in Blackpool. The Pleasure Beach was fab! The fish and chips in town were to notch. The venues were lovely and the dances were great. Thank you everyone who danced with me... there are too many to list!

Heartfelt thanks to everyone who worked hard to make it all run smoothly. I know it was a lot of extra effort stripping down and setting up in a different hall each night! But it really was appreciated.

P.S. I also had some awesome dances with Ruby Red

A great weekend. A very different feel to the others Ive been on, more of a holiday really.
    Highlights for me were going to the top of the tower, the pleasure beach (I went on the pepsi max - thanks Twirly Bird for watching Ethan so I could go on) and the horse and cart ride. Oh yeah, and the dancing was pretty damn good too! I had a great time double troublin' and stealing with Trampy and Jamie. it goes without saying, but, the Tower ballroom was just amazing.
    Thanks to everyone who played with Ethan: Trampy, Mini Mac, Eve, Tor, Emily, Jamie, Maddi and Joe (You guys were great in the performance )

Zara xxx

A different sort of weekender. Loved dancing in all the different rooms, I thought it would feel strange being in different venues each day but as each room had its own feel it meant there was a certain freshness about it, though the chill out room on Sat worked better for me than the Sun one.

Took me a while to get into things on Sat night (thanks to StokeBloke for the dance that clicked me into form!) and by the end of the night was enjoying myself and that just built up over the weekend.

Did Franck's connection class - it doesn't seem to matter how many times I do this class, there are always new layers of stuff to learn. Watched a few more classes.

It was a change to be on a weekender staying 'in town'.

A few guys made a point of coming over to our group from NI, many of which had never been on a weekender before, and asking all the ladies to dance, which was lovely.

As a last minute decision, I was very glad I went!

Friday

Arrived at the B&B at 1pm and over to the venue booked in and dancing for 2.30pm first on the floor. fab set Dave, and thanks for teaching Gerry the best move of Breeze weekender, I think we have it to a 't' now, he's even stopped blushing.

The Tower is just spectacular, but I wasn't impressed with the floor, apparently it had been buffed several times, just a bit disappointing.

Complimentary trips to the top of the tower was a nice touch, and the children loved it. (thanks Jammy)

Lovely to dance with Lucky and Ruby again, Ruby if you were in the UK much longer we would have you Northern Soul'ing

Fab to get my hands on Gerry after a very long week.

Saturday

The children started off by doing Vicki and Jamie show case class, and then they were off to the pleasure beach, I went back to the B&B to do Lucky's ironing, its took two hours honest.

The Winter gardens are fab and the floor was bostin.

I had a bit of a wardrobe issue, after faffing about with my top for ages, Joe said 'your tops to low' so off it came, but then I was comfy, and going for it.

Rocky's set was brill, dancing on stage with Mandy (Ian and Many) to Jackson's 'blame it on the boogie' has really got me in the mood for Grand Crania (sorry you missed it Val)

Sunday

The children went off to the beach with Zara Trampy and Ethan while I did Jamies ironing.

We were in the Spanish rooms, and these were my favourite.

I had a wonderful afternoons dancing.

Joe came back from the beach with an allergic reaction which he knew he had, don't go touching donkey's.

Jamie and Vicki had said the children could go to the pleasure beach on Saturday and they would give them a bit of extra time Sunday afternoon to bring them up to speed with what they had missed for the show case, they spent all afternoon with them thank you guy's it was well over and above, and it paid off.

All a bit off a rush getting ready, back in time to help with OXO'S birthday cake, I would just like to take this opportunity to thank the very kind gentleman who loaned me his lighter as the one we had failed at the last minute, shame it didn't go missing resulting in him reacting like a man possessed and almost ruining my evening, even after sending someone out of the venue to purchase another one. AR$E

Happy birthday OXO'S lovely to see Kay so confident and relaxed.

I had my best nights dancing.

Highlights

sooooo many dances with Frank
    Park and Jive
    Gemessex
    Barry 'the refuser' careful we will have to rename you ......brill lindy
    Lucky and Ruby..i'm going to miss you guy's
    Mike Ellard..only person to knock my hat off
    watching Joe and Maddie in the showcase
    Linda's mom and dad
    Getting to know Kay OXO'S girlfriend better
    Debbie Atwood and Kids
    BARMPOT mad as ever
    Jamie...Joe tells me you have a new PB
    Accaecco, he know why
    Wobberly Dave lovely dances
    dancing to the 'SNAKE'

Stokie, TwerlieBird and Eve...thanks Stokie to teaching Gerry the Stokie slide

The different venues worked for me, i'm sure logistically it was a nightmare, and the crew worked endlessly.

Meeting a lovely lady in the loo's on Friday (Donna) thank you for your pep talk to Maddie about her height at 6ft 3" you are the expert, how lovely to see love bloom between you and Ian from Inverness, good luck another long distance relationship.

Low bits

Not been able to go the after parries...did I mention that?

Last but by no mean's least my lovely Gerry who made my weekend complet your John Travolta impression is coming on a treat, your not bad considering your 'just a WCS'er'

Thank you for the lovely comments about my dancing, it was a real pleasure to dance with you guys. The weekend started on a high for me with the dancing in the Tower Ballroom, it is my favourite place to dance, and the first [of many] lovely dance of the weekend with Stoke Bloke, . who introduced me to Wobbly Dave, you are a great dancer man,
    Looking forward to more Latin dancing with Terpsichorea, ''turkish towels and the fan'' next perhaps??
    Blueshoes as always a star
    Thank you to all the lovely men and women who danced with me.
    The venues were so different and fabulous
    The music was tops and great DJ's.
    Lovely to see the guys from Northern Ireland and actually got a the chance to have a good chin wag with Lynn. xxNice to meet with other formurites that you only get to see now and again.
    Enjoyed my dances with Ruby , go girl , good luck and safe journey home.
    The cabaret was really good fun to watch and everyone did good, it is hard to sychronise every move and you guys got it right well done.

I thought the young people were fabulous and a real credit. Joe you looked good in the Cabaret with your partner. Not forgetting Maddie of course you looked lovely out there.Nice to talk to Mini Mac and Eve and Zara your little fella is just gorgeous he has such a great attitude. Jamie said something to him like you are great and Ethan replied yea I am, what a star.

Last edited by rubyred; 6th-November-2007 at 11:16 AM.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Wow!! What a weekend! I'm exhausted, but happy...

Just to say a big thankyou to everyone who danced with me... Especially to all the "young 'uns" as it were, fletch's lot, debbie's lot, Mini Mac & Eve! You guys are wicked!

Managed to top my record of 10 freespins with Joe who made me do 11 Sorry Caz, you've been replaced

I led Gerry!

Fab dances with Lucky & Ruby, can't wait to see you guys again!! Keep in touch!

Thanks to Vicki, my teaching partner and everyone who did our classes and participated in the cabaret, I had loads of fun doing it!

Pleasure beach went right out the window, I'll have to go to that one day!

A pleasure meeting Ethan, bless him, I said to him (dressed in his little tuxedo outfit) "Wow, check you out... Don't you look good?!" and he replyed with a big fat "YEAH!" Bless him! He's learning

Hope to see you all again soon guys!

XXXX

Thread Information