Thread: Amazing. Unmissable.

Amazing. Unmissable.

I've just come across this site.

(Click on 'Open we feel fine'.)

It's the work of Jonathan Harris, a computer scientist/artist and it consists of phrases found in the blogosphere beginning with 'I feel...' presented like fireflies on the screen. (Square ones are pictures.)

Look around, click the different things. It's mind blowing.

If you want to find out more about it, try watching this video which is a presentation by Jonathan Harris.

Somehow it seems to have a great deal of significance, but I can't say why.

Hope you all like it.

Re: Amazing. Unmissable.

If you click on the 'this video' link in my post above you'll find that you are at the TED site, with clips of 18 minute lectures and performances given by all sorts of people.

Try clicking on the 'Speakers' link and look for Eva Vertes, and watch her talk (on cancer research). If you aren't blown away but her story and her talk I'll eat my hat...

Wow. I'm having a whirlwind time.

Also from the TED site I watched the presentation of Blaise Aguera y Arcas who invented SeaDragon, bought by Microsoft and being developed into Photosynth, which is also ama-azing.

It uses photographs from Flickr to build up 3-d montages of famous sites - on the talk, he shows Notre Dame de Paris, but the Microsoft site has five others but not Notre Dame.

Check it out - I guess you'll need high end graphics and a fast internet connection but it's just jaw-dropping.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post

It's the work of Jonathan Harris, a computer scientist/artist and it consists of phrases found in the blogosphere beginning with 'I feel...' presented like fireflies on the screen. (Square ones are pictures.)

Look around, click the different things. It's mind blowing.
    Tried it twice (yesterday evening and just now) but it doesn't seem to work. It says: "Looking for feelings from people in the last few hours" but seems to hang there.

It says I may need to wait 20 seconds but a few minutes later there's still no update. Initially it said I needed Java - so I've updated to the latest version, but still nothing.

Any ideas? Is it just me?
    Love dance, will travel

Wow. I'm having a whirlwind time.

Also from the TED site I watched the presentation of Blaise Aguera y Arcas who invented SeaDragon, bought by Microsoft and being developed into Photosynth, which is also ama-azing.

It uses photographs from Flickr to build up 3-d montages of famous sites - on the talk, he shows Notre Dame de Paris, but the Microsoft site has five others but not Notre Dame.

Check it out - I guess you'll need high end graphics and a fast internet connection but it's just jaw-dropping.
    My mistake; there are loads more than 5 collections. Here, for example, you'll find a bunch they did in collaboration with the BBC.

(Oh, and it seems although Blaise' demo was with Flickr pictures the web site seems to mostly feature commissioned pictures.)

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Tried it twice (yesterday evening and just now) but it doesn't seem to work.
    It's working fine for me. (Although I can see myself wasting hours on it, so not sure it's a good thing!)

Tried it twice (yesterday evening and just now) but it doesn't seem to work. It says: "Looking for feelings from people in the last few hours" but seems to hang there.

It says I may need to wait 20 seconds but a few minutes later there's still no update. Initially it said I needed Java - so I've updated to the latest version, but still nothing.

Any ideas? Is it just me?
    Just to be sure: we're clicking on the red text 'Open we feel fine' under the white text 'An Exploration of human emotion in six movements'.

When I do that, I get a new window opening with text 'Waiting for applet to start', and then after a short pause all the feeling dots start swarming around the applet. I'm using Windows Vista Home and Firefox 2.0 and I have an 8mbit broadband connection. Other than that, all I can suggest is looking for a FAQ on the site itself. Try the other link, and look for Jonathan Harris' site and maybe there'll be more help there.

The Dashing Moderator

Just to be sure: we're clicking on the red text 'Open we feel fine' under the white text 'An Exploration of human emotion in six movements'.
    Yep - I'm doing that too
    When I do that, I get a new window opening with text 'Waiting for applet to start',
    And I get that too
    and then after a short pause all the feeling dots start swarming around the applet.
    But this doesn't happen - it just hangs with the message saying it's looking for feelings from people in the last few hours
    I'm using Windows Vista Home and Firefox 2.0 and I have an 8mbit broadband connection.
    I'm using Windows XP and get the same problem with IE6 and Firefox. On broadband, allegedly 2mega-thingys but probably a good deal less in practice. I have Norton 2006 too - so I guess that could be a possible cause.
    Love dance, will travel

Yep - I'm doing that tooAnd I get that tooBut this doesn't happen - it just hangs with the message saying it's looking for feelings from people in the last few hoursI'm using Windows XP and get the same problem with IE6 and Firefox. On broadband, allegedly 2mega-thingys but probably a good deal less in practice. I have Norton 2006 too - so I guess that could be a possible cause.
    The only other thing I can imagine it might be is your graphics card..?

While it's a fun diversion for 5 minutes or so, I can't say I am greatly affected by it.

Just call me unfeeling, if you like.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Yep - I'm doing that tooAnd I get that tooBut this doesn't happen - it just hangs with the message saying it's looking for feelings from people in the last few hoursI'm using Windows XP and get the same problem with IE6 and Firefox. On broadband, allegedly 2mega-thingys but probably a good deal less in practice. I have Norton 2006 too - so I guess that could be a possible cause.
    Maybe... It connects to this URL: http://www.wefeelfine.org:8080

It's possible that a firewall (Norton or otherwise) is blocking it.
    Last edited by ducasi; 5th-November-2007 at 12:15 AM.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    While it's a fun diversion for 5 minutes or so, I can't say I am greatly affected by it.

Just call me unfeeling, if you like.
    de gustibus est non disputandem...hope you don't feel your time was wasted. It's in my Bookmarks and I shall be looking at it quite a bit.

Thread Information