Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Private classes at Southport?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Private classes at Southport?

From here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
    If is one on one, the standard rate at weekenders is about £50. This price often stays the same for up to groups of 4. The probem at Southport is that there isn't really anywhere to do it. I have seen teachers running private classes in their chalets. This would not really be possible with Tango.
    What do people do generally for mini-classes / privates at Southport?

Are there any possible facilities that could be used? Chalets aren't exactly a great dance teaching environment...

Re: Private classes at Southport?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    From here:

What do people do generally for mini-classes / privates at Southport?

Are there any possible facilities that could be used? Chalets aren't exactly a great dance teaching environment...
    I have seen or heard of them being held in the bar area, on the decking, on the extra floor in the main room, in the dance-den and in the latin room.

All of these places have their quiet moments.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I have seen or heard of them being held in the bar area, on the decking, on the extra floor in the main room, in the dance-den and in the latin rooms.
    Yeah, but I'd rather know if there was something that could be used "officially" - it's a big place, are there no other rooms around?

Blog Entries

Yeah, but I'd rather know if there was something that could be used "officially" - it's a big place, are there no other rooms around?
    no, its one of the problems with dong private lessons at southport, there is nowhere at allthats quiet. Ive seen people having lessons in the bar and its pretty awful although the people that had the lessons still enjoyed it. DTS and I had one with Sarah and CJ - - on decking, it wasn't the best of surroundings but we still managed to get a lot done and learnt quite a bit too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    no, its one of the problems with dong private lessons at southport, there is nowhere at allthats quiet. Ive seen people having lessons in the bar and its pretty awful although the people that had the lessons still enjoyed it. DTS and I had one with Sarah and CJ - - on decking, it wasn't the best of surroundings but we still managed to get a lot done and learnt quite a bit too.
    Hmmm.... I guess the Blues Room is the only one even vaguely free.

Looking at the previous programmes, there's zero free time available in any of the other rooms, they're used almost 24/7.

Alternatively, we could go off-site, but that adds a whole new dimension to the logistics, it's probably not worth it - unless the Sands pub has a function room?

Glitter Queen

I've not had a private at Southport, but I've seen them being held and my observation is that it must be very distracting having so many people around whilst you're trying to learn, and it must also be quite annoying to know that people who aren't paying for the lesson are sitting watching you and listening to the advice the teacher is giving you.
    If I were paying for a private lesson I would expect it to be exactly that - a space and time to be taught to dance where I can make all my mistakes in private.
    These factors have certainly contributed to the fact that I have, as yet, not had a private lesson at a weekender event.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    I've not had a private at Southport, but I've seen them being held and my observation is that it must be very distracting having so many people around whilst you're trying to learn, and it must also be quite annoying to know that people who aren't paying for the lesson are sitting watching you and listening to the advice the teacher is giving you.
    - the AT mini-class wasn't ideal, but it was still useful.

I guess, if you cleared all the stuff out of a chalet, there might be enough room, but that's not wonderful either.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've had one in the bar, (with a very interested audience) one in a chalet (which was fine, as it had a wooden floor and it was WCS, so we only needed a small area) and one in the lobby with Tatiana, which I shared with Toni, (which was definitely not ideal) but suddenly I spied a little room, sort of behind that discusting burger place, it wasn't huge but bigger than the space in a chalet and it was quiet, so we sneaked in there! I'm not sure what the room's used for normally and I think we were just lucky to get away with highjacking it

It would be great to have a private room, dedicated to this useage!

You know what John and Wes are like... they'll find a way, I'm sure!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    You know what John and Wes are like... they'll find a way, I'm sure!
    If only they were registered on one of these newfangled internet discussion board things. huh?

Commercial Operator

If only they were registered on one of these newfangled internet discussion board things. huh?
    Oh they are, and they take on board all the feedback that they get, and act on it. so if it's possible, they'll do it

Commercial Operator

We are looking into this and there is a possibility (only a possibility) of a location being sorted for Feb. Will let you know if/when available.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    We are looking into this and there is a possibility (only a possibility) of a location being sorted for Feb. Will let you know if/when available.
    Excellent - thanks

I was part of a group private in June and session 1 was on the decking - I didn't mind the audience too much but others might do - and session 2 on a piece of carpet between burger bar and latin room - not the best of locations. I am a bit torn on this as I think the privates could be organised better than leaving the punters to arrange it directly with the teacher as is currently the case but equally I don't want to be paying (indirectly) for a room at pontins dedicated to private lessons for other people.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I don't want to be paying (indirectly) for a room at pontins dedicated to private lessons for other people.
    In a way, the private lesson folks are subsidising the rest of us, since the teachers don't have to charge the organiser as much.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    In a way, the private lesson folks are subsidising the rest of us, since the teachers don't have to charge the organiser as much.
    Interesting point of view - would like to hear from event organisers if this actually is the case. Personally I think it unlikely that a pro dancer would base their fee for an event around the likelihood of private tuition income but as I have never been involved with organising an event I could very well be wrong. I guess a similar argument could be made by those people who do not attend classes at weekenders - that they are subsidising those people who do attend the classes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I guess a similar argument could be made by those people who do not attend classes at weekenders - that they are subsidising those people who do attend the classes.
    Absolutely - or any other facilities for that matter. People who go to bed at 2am are subsidising the nutters who stay on dancing till 9am or whatever. People who don't use the swimming pool are subsidising my use of it - thanks for that

That's the whole thing with an all-inclusive price - some people get more value out of it than others.

But in this case it's not really cost, it's just that there's no room obviously available.

That's the whole thing with an all-inclusive price - some people get more value out of it than others.
    But I guess the difference is that with the facilities you mention I could, as part of my all inclusive price, choose to take advantage of them. Paying for a room that would be used solely for private lessons for those willing to pay additional money to those teachers would not fall in the same bracket.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    That's not how it works Martin. Teachers think of it as a bonus.

But as Wes said earlier, we're working on it and a place has been identified as a possibility for holding private lessons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnah View Post
    That's not how it works Martin. Teachers think of it as a bonus.
    Mmmm, so it sort of works indirectly, doesn't it? In that it's an extra incentive / perk to persuade teachers to come along, thus helping keep their prices down?

Of course, I'm sure that all income from private classes is properly recorded and tax paid on it appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by johnah View Post
    But as Wes said earlier, we're working on it and a place has been identified as a possibility for holding private lessons.
    Christ, don't empty the pool, I love that place

Commercial Operator

Mmmm, so it sort of works indirectly, doesn't it? In that it's an extra incentive / perk to persuade teachers to come along, thus helping keep their prices down?
    Unfortunately not.

Of course, I'm sure that all income from private classes is properly recorded and tax paid on it appropriately.
    That's a matter for the Teachers giving private lessons, not us.

Christ, don't empty the pool, I love that place
    Now there's an idea?

Thread Information