View Poll Results: Challenging moves: when should they be taught?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • At the start of a routine

6 31.58%
  • At the end of a routine

12 63.16%
  • It doesn't matter

1 5.26%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Challenging routines

Re: Challenging routines

Quote Originally Posted by spindr View Post
    Challenging moves -- should be all the way through the routine -- what's the point of a non-challenging move?
    Some non-challenging moves are fun. Most people could improve their technique on all moves - challenging or not. A routine should consist of a variety of moves and part of that variety is achieved by using moves of varying difficulty. Different people find different things challenging, so creating a routine that will challenge everyone will probably be beyond most people. People are unlikely to remember a complete routine of moves they find difficult, but will a routine if they find some moves easier than others. It takes longer to teach a challenging move, using nothing but will shorten a routine.

I could probably fire off some other reasons too, but that seems like enough. Oh, except for one more: non-challenging moves give you more time to dance instead of doing nothing but move after move after move.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Steven666 View Post
    Personally I don't care as I find rountines easy. But the general concencous from what I have heard is to do the more challenging moves early so there is more time to prcatice and remember them.
    The more I read Steven666 the more I think of woodface Steven666 can look at a poll where the majority say one thing and then say that it said exactly the opposite. And Steven666 keeps telling us he's a good dancer too. Will the similarities never end?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Ah, but you're forgetting that I have the strength of ten
    But only when we measured your aroma strength

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    The more I read Steven666 the more I think of woodface Steven666 can look at a poll where the majority say one thing and then say that it said exactly the opposite. And Steven666 keeps telling us he's a good dancer too. Will the similarities never end?
    Dear god. I knew this would happen soon.

Read back a few posts. I wasn't referring to the poll. I was referring to what I have heard at venues in reality.

From here:

Is it better to put the difficult parts at the start, or the end, of a routine?

I can see arguments both ways, but I wonder which approach works best?

Personally, I'd rather have the tricky stuff shown first, because then I get more chance to work on it through the routine.
    My own view is that if a typical routine consists of 4 moves, then the difficult one should come 3rd. That way if people are struggling, then the last move can be dropped and more time spent on it. If people get it then include the last move.

Onkar

Quote Originally Posted by onkar View Post
    My own view is that if a typical routine consists of 4 moves, then the difficult one should come 3rd. That way if people are struggling, then the last move can be dropped and more time spent on it. If people get it then include the last move.

Onkar

What a sensible idea

Then no need to run over time

Before your post I would have said, make it the last one.... but I like your thinking onkar

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by onkar View Post
    Sounds interesting - good thinking...

Read back a few posts. I wasn't referring to the poll. I was referring to what I have heard at venues in reality.
    In reality... although on the web, this forum has a host of people who do actually dance, DJ, teach and all the rest.

We could of course "all be wrong".

So take us to reality, share your dance experience, then maybe Andy Mc will respect you more (and we can beat him up for you )

There has been a few inconsistancies in your posts and a bit of backtracking, but maybe it is the grog...

Commercial Operator

The poll at the start of this thread is real too. It's a well written survey where you can analyse the result. A few chats after freestyle and an "impression" of what is said at venues is far less real.

And the bit where you said "I don't care as I find rountines easy"? To me this says "I think I'm a great dancer". You might be, but do you need to say it when there's a forumite somewhere near you who can say it for you? I never claim to be a great dancer (some* would say "with good reason" ). But, if I was a great dancer I wouldn't be posting claims that I find routines easy. You don't need to tell us how good you are, prove it by dancing well and your dancing will speak for itself.

Btw, I am a great lover and am willing to prove it with anybody who asks

*OK, many

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    In reality... although on the web, this forum has a host of people who do actually dance, DJ, teach and all the rest.

We could of course "all be wrong".

So take us to reality, share your dance experience, then maybe Andy Mc will respect you more (and we can beat him up for you )

There has been a few inconsistancies in your posts and a bit of backtracking, but maybe it is the grog...
    I get like that. I can be fickle. But does a small selection of poll votes really represent the WHOLE of MJ'ers views? No. & neither does my view I know.

The poll at the start of this thread is real too. It's a well written survey where you can analyse the result. A few chats after freestyle and an "impression" of what is said at venues is far less real.

And the bit where you said "I don't care as I find rountines easy"? To me this says "I think I'm a great dancer". You might be, but do you need to say it when there's a forumite somewhere near you who can say it for you? I never claim to be a great dancer (some* would say "with good reason" ). But, if I was a great dancer I wouldn't be posting claims that I find routines easy. You don't need to tell us how good you are, prove it by dancing well and your dancing will speak for itself.

Btw, I am a great lover and am willing to prove it with anybody who asks

*OK, many
    I don't class myself a brilliant or anywhere near. I just don't find routines difficult at all. I have a good visual memory.

I'll add that I recognise better dancers than me and I recognise those who aren't. I am true and honest to myself yet am my own worst critic at times. Especially at the moment. I don't class myself as the best at all. I may sound like I do but I don't. I'm realistic.

And truthful. Too much at times.

I am a great lover and am willing to prove it with anybody who asks
    ANYone?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    ANYone?
    So long as they provide a panel of women so that we can do a properly constructed study, double blind and crossover, and including a placebo group*

*Come to think of it, I think I'd probably be selected to be the sexual placebo

Commercial Operator

I get like that. I can be fickle. But does a small selection of poll votes really represent the WHOLE of MJ'ers views? No. & neither does my view I know.

I don't class myself a brilliant or anywhere near. I just don't find routines difficult at all. I have a good visual memory.

I'll add that I recognise better dancers than me and I recognise those who aren't. I am true and honest to myself yet am my own worst critic at times. Especially at the moment. I don't class myself as the best at all. I may sound like I do but I don't. I'm realistic.

And truthful. Too much at times.
    Much better reply. You're looking less and less like woodface*

*Anybody seen woodface/Lee now that he's completed the custodial part of his sentence? He's posted a few times, called me a few names and then disappeared - which is nice

I voted for first, but I think the best answer si to start a class with an easier move and then put the hardest one in.

That way you get people warmed up and comfortable without being scary and there is still plenty of time to practice the harder ones in class. That's how things are run in my neighborhood and it works very well here.

P.S. I haven't read any of thsi thread yet, so if someone else has already mentioned this feel free to imagine me as having quoted them and added a instead

Quote Originally Posted by spindr View Post
    Challenging moves -- should be all the way through the routine -- what's the point of a non-challenging move?

Dips, drops, leans and back-endangering moves should *always* be at the end -- if for no other reason than you can leave the class and avoid them more easily if they are at the end -- and anyone staying *might* have warmed up enough to do them.

SpinDr
    I remember my first year at classes, I loved it when there was a drop. It was a wow factor.

In my second year I hated doing them in class as it was a health hazard for me. (I have a dodgy back) - don't we all!

There is still a guy who refuses to dance with me because I once told him I didn't want to do the drop in class. I said it to all the guys, not just him, as it wouldn't have been fair, would it?

Bur it's such a bummer repeating yourself, that it's easier to just drop out when it's the last move.

If it's buried in the sequence, then it's not worth doing any of the class unless there are lots of girls over. Men take umbrage, especially when the teacher says nothing.

In his newsletter Howard Temple says only do drops/seducers with your regular partner.

Because even if you, as a man, think you know what you are doing, the lady might not.

So, not sure if he teaches drops or not on his ordinary Tuesday ceroc night at Ealing.

Howard is to drops what spagetti is to hoops, so he knows what he's taking about.
    Last edited by Astro; 3rd-November-2007 at 09:05 PM.

Is it better to put the difficult parts at the start, or the end, of a routine?

I can see arguments both ways, but I wonder which approach works best?
    If it's challenging stuff that is optional, first. So, if the teacher wants us to do some variant footwork in a side-by-side, with the same timing, that works well at the start of the routine. If I'm struggling, or my partner is, we can just do a regular side-by-side and get through to the next move.

If it's challenging stuff that essentially breaks the routine or timing if it goes wrong, such as some complicated arm twisting move, then last, so that my failure to execute it doesn't make the entire class worthless to me.

Thread Information