Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to do with that arm.....

What to do with that arm.....

I become rather conscious of the fact that my left arm is often dangling around like a piece of drift wood when I dance.

I watch some ladies and they always seem to do stuff with their left arm, which make them look so much better than my current dead branch look.

How did you ladies pick up what to do with the left arm/hand? I've tried over the last few weeks to sort of do "stuff" with my arm but one I look like a prat doing it, and two I am scared I'll wack someone with it when I am dancing

Any tips you could pass on would be gratefully received

Re: What to do with that arm.....

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Any tips you could pass on would be gratefully received
    Do a ladies styling class. You'll get lots of tips on what to do with the drift wood.

You've already noticed that other women/follows do things you like - try and copy them. I find that if I consciously watch a particular person dance for a few weeks somehow my body starts to copy some of their mannerisms.

Watch the dancers you like, and copy them. You'll find out what feels right for you and what doesn't. Same with all styling.

If you are going to hold the arm out at the side (or anywhere else), then make sure you watch the surrounding dancers and be prepared to move it rapidly if you’re going to catch someone with it. Also, keep it soft, so that it’ll move if you do get in someone’s way and therefore not cause injury. Follows have a responsibility for floorcraft too!

I’ve learnt a lot from George (female teacher) at Clapham, who often remind the follows to do stuff with their spare arm, and takes the p!ss out of us if we are doing a move that requires arm positioning and we look ridiculous. Also did a workshop a while back where Tessalicious was the demo – and gave us excellent advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    You've already noticed that other women/follows do things you like - try and copy them. I find that if I consciously watch a particular person dance for a few weeks somehow my body starts to copy some of their mannerisms.
    I also seem to remember Nina Daines saying that no matter what she did (& she always looks fabulous), she always made sure that her (spare) arm was available for the leader to take, generally about waist level.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    I also seem to remember Nina Daines saying that no matter what she did (& she always looks fabulous), she always made sure that her (spare) arm was available for the leader to take, generally about waist level.
    I've heard Nina say this many times. I regard the lady's hand at waist level as the resting or default position for the free hand. It's easy to do, doesn't make the lady feel self-concious and is much better than a "dead arm". Once you have this default position you can regard it as the start and finish point for more decorative arm, work. Remember, it's shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand on extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    . Remember, it's shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand on extension.
    Not sure I follow you Andy? Could you clearify please

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Do a ladies styling class. You'll get lots of tips on what to do with the drift wood.
    Uh didnt know there was such classes. Thanks for the tip

I regard the lady's hand at waist level as the resting or default position for the free hand.
    This is celebration day, I'm using a 'yeah that' after something Andy just said, and I'm not even being ironical. I knew one day Andy would use his brains adequately

Another tip when resting your (left) hand that way (i.e. elbow bent to have your forearm parallel to the floor), is to make sure your palm is facing the wall on your right, i.e. not looking downwards - because otherwise more often that not you will end up 'breaking' your wrist and that looks awful. Since we're name dropping, I got that tip from Skippy Blair, you may not know her (yet... just wait till you start WCS ) but she's a bit of a dancing god(dess).
    Last edited by Caro; 1st-November-2007 at 03:51 PM. Reason: to make Aleks happy ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    Connie. I would say this is about the best thing to do with the spare arm - have the hand available about waist high and in front of you with your elbow slightly away from your hip (sometimes we guys like to be able to slipp our hand between your upper arm and your body to be able to collect the follower back into close hold).

THe vast majority of ladies have thier spare arm hanging down like it has narcolespy so having your hand up and available will instantly make you stand out from the crowd. Some ladies hide thier spare arm in the small of thier back where it is impossible to get at and a few like to place their hand down on their lower abdomen, although this just makes me think they are suffering from appendisitis or IBS.

If your hand is up in this ready position then when it is needed then your hand doesn't have to make that "startled from a deep sleep" jerk when you need to get it to your leader.

I have a friend that is wantling to use their arms more to add some style and elegance to their dancing. Her biggest problem is that she fears looking silly and that other dancers will look at her and think "who does she think she is". I was trying to persuade her to be less worried about experimentation and just accept that most of what she tries will not be pleasing to her but some things will and she can tuck those into her styling bag. She could try trying lots of things and videoing the results and then ask a panel to tell her what they think is nice and what is not (when we see ourselves on video we rarely like the results ourselves). As we both looked around the dance floor at all the hanging lifeless arms we both thought that almost anything was better than that.

Be brave. Experiment but don't expect everything you try to be falulous first time.

Some really nice advice, thanks everyone. I'll try a few things out tonight and see how I get on with it.

At one venue I tried out, most of the women seemed to have their spare arm in a 90 degree angle to their body, more or less paralel with their shoulder but with their elbow slightly down in a dip. I didnt really like that look, I thought it assembled a flock or fowl about to take flight.....

I'll try out the hand at waist level thing and see how I get on with it. Should the hand be slightly to the front by the left hipbone? Or more to the side at the "tickling" spot?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    This is celebration day, I'm using a 'yeah that' after something Andy just said, and I'm not even being ironical. I knew one day Andy would use his brains adequately
    And I gave Caro a earlier.

Now we just need to agree on names for our children

Andy you little dance slut you!

There you were declaring your schoolboy crush on me the other day, and now you want Caro to bear your children!

Any day I am going to read that you and Lee is going out

Honestly, some men............

Watch Lily Barker

Commercial Operator

Not sure I follow you Andy? Could you clearify please
    You start from your basic position of having your forearm fairly parallel to the ground, your elbow bent and with your palm facing down (don't let your hand droop). You can extend your arm from this waist position but it looks more elegant if you raise this bent left arm to shoulder/chest height before you start to extend. "Shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand" means you should move each joint in turn. Firstly you might move your shoulder (although you might not if your shoulder is already where you want it to be) when you're coming out of a turn, for instance. Then your shoulder stops as you take your bent elbow to the left, then your elbow stops and your wrist starts to move to the left as you straighten your arm. Finally you give a little flourish with your hand, palm down, as you reach full extension. If you raise your hand at the start of this you should try to have your palm facing you so you can look into it "as if it contains something lovely". You can follow your palm with your eyes/head for extra effect - but don't do it for the whole journey as it looks as if you've seen a fly that you're following around the room. When you've finished your flourish you could bring your hand back to your resting position or you could do any of the other things you would get taught on a ladies styling workshop.

Sorry I've gone on a bit. I'm sure Nina or Amir could have put it in far less words.

I'll try out the hand at waist level thing and see how I get on with it. Should the hand be slightly to the front by the left hipbone? Or more to the side at the "tickling" spot?
    yes in front, if you keep your hand on the side it means you'll have your elbow sticking out behind you - not pretty

There you were declaring your schoolboy crush on me the other day, and now you want Caro to bear your children!
    Andy's been dreaming about me having his children for a few months now.

God I would SO like to see Andy with a new tag line: 'Forum's little slut'

You start from your basic position of having your forearm fairly parallel to the ground, your elbow bent and with your palm facing down (don't let your hand droop). .
    I knew this wouldn't last long.

I suggest instead of having your (left) palm facing down, you make it face the wall on your right hand side. That way you cannot let your hand droop, sorted.

I knew this wouldn't last long.

I suggest instead of having your (left) palm facing down, you make it face the wall on your right hand side. That way you cannot let your hand droop, sorted.
    Am trying to visualise this, and must have something wrong as in my mind it looks awkward as you'd have to have your wrist bent at a 90 degree angle to make it face that wall on the right hand side. What have I got wrong?

... {snip spare arm stuff}
    God I would SO like to see Andy with a new tag line: 'Forum's little slut'
    It already says he's an 'operator' Won't that do?

Commercial Operator

Any day I am going to read that you and Lee is going out

Honestly, some men............
    No, Caro has a schoolgirl crush on me, I was just pulling her pigtails

But I only have eyes for Connie - honest

Thread Information