Thread: Moving goalposts for health and fitness

Blog Entries

Moving goalposts for health and fitness

So what am I allowed to eat nowadays?
    Apparently now I should avoid alcohol, red meat, ham, bacon, all processed meats, sugary drinks and dietary supplements. Apparently I should also exercise every day, not gain weight and breast-feed my children .
    Also, it's no longer any good to be within the healthy weight range for my height and age any more, if I want to avoid cancer, I have to be as close as possible to the bottom of the range.

It's a good thing most of us have the sense to just cut down on the things that are bad for us and have a healthy, balanced diet. Imagine if we listened to everything these "experts" tell us?
    Last edited by David Bailey; 1st-November-2007 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Fixed link

Re: Moving goalposts for health and fitness

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Imagine if we listened to everything these "experts" tell us?
    Well, we might not live any longer, but it would certainly feel like it.

Umm, is that link right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Umm, is that link right?
    Sigh, I'm going back to bed.

This link should be the right one.

Sigh, I'm going back to bed.
    You numpty. Who's gonna give you a job when you can't even add a link properly...especially in your line of work.

If we all become 'thin' we'll look like bag of bones!!! Are there any other ways to reduce the risk of cancer

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Shark View Post
    Are there any other ways to reduce the risk of cancer
    Here's some tips How to Reduce Your Risk for Developing Cancer - 8 Cancer Prevention Tips
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Well, we might not live any longer, but it would certainly feel like it.

A friend of mine, who is very very slim, has been told she's got raised cholesterol and has been trying to reduce it for the last couple of years to reduce the chance of problems with her heart, but nothing she does dietry-wise seems to work. Instead, she's making herself anxious, worried and miserable where food is concerned, and has a huge sense of guilt.

And guess what, the anxiety seems to be giving her problems with her heart

I'd rather enjoy life I'm afraid. Yes, eat fairly "sensibly" (whatever that might mean - but certainly not excess junk food), take exercise (I could do with more of that ), but not worry over every "scientific" discovery that's made (which usually gets turned on it's head in a matter of time anyway). Life's too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    A friend of mine, who is very very slim, has been told she's got raised cholesterol and has been trying to reduce it for the last couple of years to reduce the chance of problems with her heart
    Can't she get the Dr to give her some of those miricle pills for cholesterol problems? You can eat what you want with them and it still does the trick apparently. A bit like bog descaler for your arteries

Can't she get the Dr to give her some of those miricle pills for cholesterol problems? You can eat what you want with them and it still does the trick apparently. A bit like bog descaler for your arteries
    That is precisely what she's trying to avoid!

A friend of mine, who is very very slim, has been told she's got raised cholesterol and has been trying to reduce it for the last couple of years to reduce the chance of problems with her heart, but nothing she does dietry-wise seems to work. Instead, she's making herself anxious, worried and miserable where food is concerned, and has a huge sense of guilt.

And guess what, the anxiety seems to be giving her problems with her heart

I'd rather enjoy life I'm afraid. Yes, eat fairly "sensibly" (whatever that might mean - but certainly not excess junk food), take exercise (I could do with more of that ), but not worry over every "scientific" discovery that's made (which usually gets turned on it's head in a matter of time anyway). Life's too short.
    One thing to bear in mind with cholesterol – is that your body actually makes this, in addition to what you consume. My Dad went to the doctors and was told you have high cholesterol – so he came home and cut out every bit of cholesterol in his diet – next visit to the doctors – even higher!!!! Turns out if you deprive your body of all cholesterol it can go into over drive and make even more?!?!?!

If we all become 'thin' we'll look like bag of bones!
    They recommend the lower end of the healthy weight range, which shouldn't look unhealthy.

That is precisely what she's trying to avoid!
    Well...as you said, she's tried everything and its not working. Some people are just predisposed to conditions like high cholesterol. My husband was the same...skinny, active but with high cholesterol. The Dr told him he could eat healthily every day for the rest of his life and it might lower his cholesterol but if his parents have it (they did) then he would always have this problem, so he decided to take the pills, which worked.

Sounds like your mate could be the same...she should save herself all the stress and take the drugs.

If we all become 'thin' we'll look like bag of bones!!! Are there any other ways to reduce the risk of cancer
    Well the link does say

'Everyone must also aim to be as thin as possible without becoming underweight.'

so not really bag of bones material.

Have to say that, IMO, this article reveals nothing new. This is perhaps not surprising as

'There is no new research involved in this document: the panel examined 7,000 existing studies over five years. '

Good sentiment at first but i would disagree that scientific discoveries usually get turned on their heads. As this study examines 7000 previous studies over five years then it perhaps shows that there is consistency. The thing is that newspapers like headline-grabbing stories. This means that studies that disagree with others tend to get more publicity whether they are based on good science or not, conclusions taken out of context, etc.

At the end of the day, humans appear to have evolved to eat a range of foods so a balanced diet based on fairly natural sources would appear to be a good idea. I think that one problem with red meat is that the vast majority of it comes from fattened up livestock? Wild animals would not have such a high fat content.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by From Lory's link
    If you're not a huge vegetable eater, try fruits, such as lemons, oranges, and grapefruit, or drink juices from these fruits.
    Quote Originally Posted by From Gav's link
    fruit juice consumption should also be reduced
    Love dance, will travel

So what am I allowed to eat nowadays?
    Apparently now I should avoid alcohol, red meat, ham, bacon, all processed meats, sugary drinks and dietary supplements. Apparently I should also exercise every day, not gain weight and breast-feed my children .
    Also, it's no longer any good to be within the healthy weight range for my height and age any more, if I want to avoid cancer, I have to be as close as possible to the bottom of the range.

It's a good thing most of us have the sense to just cut down on the things that are bad for us and have a healthy, balanced diet. Imagine if we listened to everything these "experts" tell us?
    actually from the report...

"more than three million of the 10 million cases of cancer which are diagnosed across the world each year could be prevented if the recommendations were followed, Professor Wiseman indicated"

And the 7 million cases could not have prevented it, even though they were in his "healthy group".

He has shot himself in the foot on this one.

Go unhealthy and put yourself in the 30% and not the 70%... more risk of cancer if you are healthy...

Well...as you said, she's tried everything and its not working. Some people are just predisposed to conditions like high cholesterol. My husband was the same...skinny, active but with high cholesterol. The Dr told him he could eat healthily every day for the rest of his life and it might lower his cholesterol but if his parents have it (they did) then he would always have this problem, so he decided to take the pills, which worked.

Sounds like your mate could be the same...she should save herself all the stress and take the drugs.
    Yes, it seems to hereditary – think one of her parents has an issue with it. I don’t get the impression that it’s bad enough to have to take the drugs yet though (hence her efforts to control it), but I think she’s beginning to resign herself to the fact that there is nothing she can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    Well the link does say

'There is no new research involved in this document: the panel examined 7,000 existing studies over five years. '
    I’d missed that bit, hence my comments about not believing everything you read!

Good sentiment at first but i would disagree that scientific discoveries usually get turned on their heads. As this study examines 7000 previous studies over five years then it perhaps shows that there is consistency. The thing is that newspapers like headline-grabbing stories. This means that studies that disagree with others tend to get more publicity whether they are based on good science or not, conclusions taken out of context, etc.

At the end of the day, humans appear to have evolved to eat a range of foods so a balanced diet based on fairly natural sources would appear to be a good idea. I think that one problem with red meat is that the vast majority of it comes from fattened up livestock? Wild animals would not have such a high fat content.
    What I meant by my comments was that every week there seems to be something new in the press about what is good and bad for you. And it all gets horribly confusing. Take this latest piece of advice: little or no alcohol – yet isn’t a small amount (one glass of red wine a day) supposed to help protect against heart disease? And keeping a low body weight – I’ve also read that women who carry too little body fat put themselves at an increased risk of osteoporosis.

I suspect that this sort of advice will start making more sense when we can do some sort of genetic testing to see what we are most at risk of developing (we can look at family history now, but that’s not conclusive). Then if you have genetic markers that suggest cancer, you can take appropriate action, if it’s heart disease, have that medicinal glass of red wine.

What I meant by my comments was that every week there seems to be something new in the press about what is good and bad for you. And it all gets horribly confusing. Take this latest piece of advice: little or no alcohol – yet isn’t a small amount (one glass of red wine a day) supposed to help protect against heart disease?
    The link does try to address this though
    From a cancer perspective, all alcohol should be avoided, although researchers accepted drinking small amounts could have protective benefits for other diseases.
    The recommendation is therefore no more than two drinks a day for a man, and no more than one for a woman, slightly less than current UK government guidelines.
    I suppose that different things have different effects

And keeping a low body weight – I’ve also read that women who carry too little body fat put themselves at an increased risk of osteoporosis.
    No idea about this one (apart from a quick wikipedia look). However, isn't osteoporosis down to bones being weaker than they should be? Maybe if you are light then your bones dont get as much resistance when you walk or run and so dont get as strong. I would have therefore thought that doing some running would be the answer (or dancing perhaps?)

I suspect that this sort of advice will start making more sense when we can do some sort of genetic testing to see what we are most at risk of developing (we can look at family history now, but that’s not conclusive). Then if you have genetic markers that suggest cancer, you can take appropriate action, if it’s heart disease, have that medicinal glass of red wine.
    True

No idea about this one (apart from a quick wikipedia look). However, isn't osteoporosis down to bones being weaker than they should be? Maybe if you are light then your bones dont get as much resistance when you walk or run and so dont get as strong. I would have therefore thought that doing some running would be the answer (or dancing perhaps?)
    I think it's got something to do with the production of hormones - if you've got some fat, the body can use it for production of whichever hormone protects against osteoporosis (which doesn't get produced in such quantities post-menopause), but afraid that I can't remember more than that.

Thread Information