View Poll Results: What is your favourite season?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spring

5 16.67%
  • Summer

9 30.00%
  • Autumn

10 33.33%
  • Winter

6 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's everyone's favourite season?

What's everyone's favourite season?

So I was just driving home from work tonight and enjoying the leaves blowing across the road in front of me and I started thinking about how nice autumn is. What season do you all like the most?

Here are some thoughts I have on each season, starting with autumn.

Autumn
    I really love the changing colours of all the leaves. It's a spectacular transformation from life to death with so many shades in between, sometimes all on the same tree.

I like the wind, even if it is a bit chilly. A wee walk in the park with a big coat, leaves on the ground and the wind in your hair. Lovely.

Winter
    I might be a bit strange in this, but I really love the bite of the icy wind in your face as you step out the house on a winter morning. The air just seems sharper, more alive. I'm not saying I'd want to spend hours like that, but it's a nice wee moment.

For me, winter sports are the best thing about the season, though. I love snowboarding and it's such a sense of freedom when I can get the opportunity to bomb down a big long run and try to push myself just that wee bit faster.

Spring
    Spring's a transitional season, like Autumn, and I really love the changes that take place on the trees most of all. Branches that have been bare for so long suddenly start to come to life, reminding us there used to be leaves there. Snowdrops pushing through the grass - all such fragile signs of new life as the season of barrenness comes to an end.

Blossom is my favourite thing in spring, though. I love the way it covers the streets like confetti - celebrating the changing of seasons. It's such a dramatic contrast to the bare trees of winter that it really makes me go "wow!"

Summer
    For me, the best thing about summer is just that it's a bit warmer. I don't especially want to lie on a beach for hours, although the water being warmer does mean I could try wakeboarding or windsurfing again. Less rain and clouds are always a welcome change, too.

So having said all that, I actually think I like Autumn the best. It's a close call, though, but I'm going to go with Autumn.
    Last edited by Wolverine; 31st-October-2007 at 07:41 PM.

Re: What's everyone's favourite season?

My favourite season is winter because my birthday is in winter plus i enjoy watching it snow........well whenever it does snow in London. In addition i usually have snow fights with my mates and sisters, its so much fun plus i always try to attempt to build a complete snowman!!! It doesn't always go according to plan

Its a great season for ICE SKATING!!! I haven't attempted it yet but in Greenwich they have a big ice ring and im planning to actually go skating this year im just not looking forward to constantly falling and hurting my backside!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Shark View Post
    In addition i usually have snow fights with my mates and sisters, its so much fun plus i always try to attempt to build a complete snowman!!! It doesn't always go according to plan

Last year we had some snow in March which was really unusual for Glasgow. I went to the park with a friend and we "borrowed" all the snowmen to make jumps for the snowboard. It was so cool. We had hours of fun hitting jumps and it didn't cost us a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    I went to the park with a friend and we "borrowed" all the snowmen to make jumps for the snowboard. It was so cool. We had hours of fun hitting jumps and it didn't cost us a thing!

I bet the people who built the snowmen were pleased to find out their snow went to good use!!! LOL

I think i can't complete a snowman because theres just not enough snow!!! Plus in winter i love watching the Home Alone movies....the 1st one is the best and its a classic!!

The way I saw it, they didn't need their snowmen any more. How many people go back to their snowman in the park the next day anyway? I went in the evening, after they had outlived their usefulness. Really, I was recycling!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    The way I saw it, they didn't need their snowmen any more. How many people go back to their snowman in the park the next day anyway? I went in the evening, after they had outlived their usefulness. Really, I was recycling!

Autumn -
    it's not too hot - can't sleep
    it's not too cold - can't sleep
    No hayfever
    No colds

Lots of leaves to kick up and run through

Spring's cool, but Autumn suits my temperment more - oh yeah and my hair changes colour

From "Dragons of Autumn Twilight"

The Sun
    The Splendid eye
    Of all our heavens
    Dives from the day,

And leaves
    The dozing sky,
    Spangled with fireflies,
    Deepening in gray.

Now Sleep,
    Our oldest friend,
    Lulls in the trees
    And calls
    Us in.

The leaves
    Give off cold fire,
    They blaze into ash
    At the end of the year.

And birds
    Coast on the winds,
    And the wheel to the north
    When autumn ends.

The day grows dark,
    The seasons bare,
    But we
    Await the sun's
    Green fire upon
    The trees.

The wind
    Dives through the days.
    By season, by moon
    Great kingdoms arise.

The breath
    Of firefly, of bird,
    Of trees, of mankind
    fades in a word.

Now Sleep,
    Our oldest friend,
    Lulls in the trees
    And calls
    Us in.

The Age,
    The thousand lives
    Of men and their stories
    Go to their graves.

But We,
    The people long
    In poem and glory
    Fade from the song.

~ Michael Williams
    Last edited by Ghost; 31st-October-2007 at 10:46 PM.

When I was child living in Surrey we had real winters then with snow on the ground from November till late March. Fond memories

A cold winter and a hot summer and changes in between

I cant stand all this damp dank mild indifferent weather where its heating on then open all windows

Going to be 17c in London today but 13c by weekend ? It November I was freezing fog ! (like Nov 1984)

I want the Thames to freeze over this winter near london bridge and for me to moan about how cold it is all the time . So it will have to get a lot colder then say 1684 or 1963 etc

Think when i move will have to find house on a hill in chilterns at cira 600ft to get an extra 2 days snow

ps it cant snow when i drive or hold up tubes etc

Hmm...

I love Autumn.. the colours of the trees, the nip in the air , the nights drawing in. A walk in the park well wrapped with someone special hand in hand is lovely.

Standing in the cold with a hot chocolate watching fireworks displays.. glorious!

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Winter with maybe a slight touch of Autumn thrown in....

Scotland's beautiful in any season but I love the change of colour in the trees.

I really love Winter, especially if it snows...tucked up inside with a huge mug of tea and a bit fruitcake....

Sledging!!! Yeah!!

Christmas (taking out the family squabbles and worries about Christmas dinner), Carol singing (although I don't really know her but she seems like a nice person.....), Eggnog, mulled wine, the smell of Spices... the smell of Vicks 'cos everyone's got the cold....The kids faces when they see the Christmas tree all done in it's lights for the first time for that year...

santa!!!

Lovely!!

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    When I was child living in Surrey we had real winters then with snow on the ground from November till late March. Fond memories

A cold winter and a hot summer and changes in between

I cant stand all this damp dank mild indifferent weather where its heating on then open all windows
    ps it cant snow when i drive or hold up tubes etc

Although autumn is my favourite season, any season is OK, so long as we get proper Weather, not as S38 says, this non-descript, grey, manky stuff.

I do remember getting more snow as a child (living near Slough), and certainly when my family moved down to Wiltshire, we had some spectacular snow in about 1979/1980, and I remember getting snowed in in London a quite few years back (circa 1990 or so I suspect?). Everything ground to a halt – but with good reason.

I’ll be going to see fireworks tomorrow in Brockwell Park (the most appropriate place there is IMO… ) and with the temperatures as they are at the moment, it just won’t seem right. I remember as a child wrapping up in winter coat, scarf, hat, gloves, wellies, thick socks, etc. It’d be like walking around in your own personal sauna now if you dressed like that! Which is a shame, as there is something good about wrapping up warmly...

However, I do have a request of the weather-gods this winter… please, no snow when Beo and I are flying up and down to see each other, or any other severe weather that’ll mean we don’t get to see each other :praying smilie:

Going to be 17c in London today but 13c by weekend ? It November I was freezing fog ! (like Nov 1984)

I want the Thames to freeze over this winter near london bridge and for me to moan about how cold it is all the time . So it will have to get a lot colder then say 1684 or 1963 etc

Think when i move will have to find house on a hill in chilterns at cira 600ft to get an extra 2 days snow
    Imagine if that happened to the Thames When the temp drops thats when i'll be investing in boots and im talking Urg boots......they're horrible!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Hmm...

I love Autumn.. the colours of the trees, the nip in the air , the nights drawing in. A walk in the park well wrapped with someone special hand in hand is lovely.

Standing in the cold with a hot chocolate watching fireworks displays.. glorious!
    That sounds sweet

Signature hot chocolate with whipped cream on top is the best!!

Im going to see the firework displays in Blackheath next week........should be fun as there will be a group of us going!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post

Although autumn is my favourite season, any season is OK, so long as we get proper Weather, not as S38 says, this non-descript, grey, manky stuff.

I do remember getting more snow as a child (living near Slough), and certainly when my family moved down to Wiltshire, we had some spectacular snow in about 1979/1980, and I remember getting snowed in in London a quite few years back (circa 1990 or so I suspect?). Everything ground to a halt – but with good reason.

without a look at google you had

Jan 79 (in my diary grandmothers house all frozen up)
    feb86 (lasted nearly a month)
    Jan87 (parents house move)
    1991 (jan I think , nearly hit bus on ice etc)

Most cold snaps seem to last only 2/3 days

I dont remember ever snow on xmas day (Surrey/Berks)but snow been on ground in 1981 and many yrs later ? (1981/82 had some real cold snaps -12C etc). I remember dec 10th 1981 as bus i was on hit a car on snow and my mums birthday Jan 10th 1982 was the coldest night for a long time. The two cats wouldnt go outside

High wycome +5c in early May max about 3yrs ago ??

Had more snow last few yrs then say 5/6 yrs ago

Never know a year when it hasnt snowed but once i think only snowed in March and it didtnt settle

also 14c + for 2 weeks in 1984 in Jan ? teacher talked about it

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know what season I like anymore, cos they're all mixed up

All I know is, I like it when it's warm!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

I dont remember ever snow on xmas day
    i was about 10/11 and it starting snowing just after midnight on christmas morning. My nanna woke me up and got me out of bed to go play.

Not a great idea as my mum had given me my sleeping medicine and i had only just fallen over to sleep. But nanna had had a few whiskeys and well thought it would be fun

I hate all the seasons.

Winter is too cold.
    Spring is too wet.
    Autumn is too dark.
    Summer is too short.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

purplehyacinth

On the subject of seasons, and for those of you who like the autumn, this is a rather lovely poem from Louis MacNeice's "Autumn Journal"

September has come, it is hers
    Whose vitality leaps in the autumn,
    Whose nature prefers
    Trees without leaves and a fire in the fire-place;
    So I give her this month and the next
    Though the whole of my year should be hers who has rendered already
    So many of its days intolerable or perplexed
    But so many more so happy;
    Who has left a scent on my life and left my walls
    Dancing over and over with her shadow,
    Whose hair is twined in all my waterfalls,
    And all of London littered with remembered kisses.

(Louis MacNeice)

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I hate all the seasons.

Winter is too cold.
    Spring is too wet.
    Autumn is too dark.
    Summer is too short.
    miserable sod!

hey.. why is DJ posting under Ducasi's moderator account?

I'm amazed that we still have no votes for summer. I thought it was bound to be someone's favourite.

I love that there are so many great responses to my wee question, though. I'm really enjoying this forum.

I voted for Winter only cos Aberdeenshire is REALLY pretty in the winter with snow everywhere in the fields, towns! (i guess this shows how excited i am about finally spending xmas in aberdeenshire - inverurie - for the 1st time in 5 years since i moved out of aberdeenshire!) while Dundee isnt so pretty when there is snow as it always get turned to slush.

I like Spring too cos it is my birthday season, and it is cute when u see wee lambs/calves on the fields. Flowers blooming .

Summer well, what is the point since we always seem to jet off to hotter countries for our holidays so get the sun over there anyway.

Autumn is alright but leaves everywhere, and at the present cant decide what temperature it should be warm or cold .

This is my opinion .

Thread Information